Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: app for the slience button

Default app for the slience button
    I want a case for my iPhone but the only way to put the phone in silence mode is by the switch is there an app for putting the phone in silence mode via settings ?

As far as I know, most cases allow for access to the silent switch.

That being said, is there any reason you can't just go into Settings -> Sounds and turn the volume down manually? It's a minor pain, but it works.

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

no but many people have been beging 4 this app because there ringer switch broke off
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Yes almost all cases have the silence switch open.

As for people with broken switches, its a hardware limitation. Software cannot reverse broken hardware. Thus why no software. You need to send to apple for repair or buy switch on ebay and fix yourself.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theguyz View Post
    Yes almost all cases have the silence switch open.

As for people with broken switches, its a hardware limitation. Software cannot reverse broken hardware. Thus why no software. You need to send to apple for repair or buy switch on ebay and fix yourself.
    how the hell do you break the switch? I've slamed , droped and threw my iphone with no problems. you have a shi**Y iphone. send in for repair. My first 8GB iphone sucked on battery life, but know that i have a new 16 GB it lasts all day with lke 75% Battery left. the very first iphones sucked and where horrible, they've gotten a hell of a lot bnetter though. I just hate all these diffrent firmware apps. I've restored on 1.1.4 like 5 times already. We need 2.0 FAST! And hopefully EVERYTHING WILL BE COMPATIBLE! I can only pray.

The broken switch would just be unable to tell the software to mute the phone though, wouldn't it? I'm playing devil's advocate and don't have a broken switch, just curious about the whole thing.

Is it impossible to develop an app that sends a "mute" command to the OS?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

love it

My iPhone is a Part of Me zsuns's Avatar
    Thanks

Just look for a new case that has easy access to the ringer switch.

My case choice is inCase.

They have a bunch of stuff for iPhones, iPods, Macs and all that stuff.
    A Thanks is always nice =]

I broke mine off when doing the black cover conversion. I have my new text/mail sounds on vibrate only and use the volume to turn the ringer down but I would LOVE a "profile" selector or a one touch "silent mode". There should be a way to create a program to turn the volume all the way down.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Mine got stuck so I tried to force it with a pocket knife. It slipped and I cut my finger and the switch off

Quote Originally Posted by chief-j View Post
    The broken switch would just be unable to tell the software to mute the phone though, wouldn't it? I'm playing devil's advocate and don't have a broken switch, just curious about the whole thing.

Is it impossible to develop an app that sends a "mute" command to the OS?

Yes a mute command can be send via software

But as for this APPs request 1 million times is due to people breaking switch thus hardware is putting phone in silent mode and not software so cannot reverse via software.

If anyone releases a MUTE software everyone with broken switch will be in thread saying doesn't work, have broken switch no use.

the only reason I would want this app is because that switch constantly switches from vibrate in my pocket and then I get a text message and im attacked by the teacher for having a phone in school