Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Any alternatives to mobile finder???

Default Any alternatives to mobile finder???
    I have 1.1.3 and i guess mobile finder doesn't have access or something like that so i was wondering if anything else has the same features that actually work??
    if this post help click the thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Not for making changes. Just ssh.

Use squid to browse fastest

3. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

morphiusrt (2008-03-20)

thanks i hate using ssh cuz i can't use it at work i have to be home and i'm not home much,

Quote Originally Posted by morphiusrt View Post
    I have 1.1.3 and i guess mobile finder doesn't have access or something like that so i was wondering if anything else has the same features that actually work??
    I use MNPlight as an alternative to Mobile Finder. The problem with it though is that it doesn't have permissions to edit anything in the var/mobile directory because it was made for 1.1.1-1.1.2. However it is usable for browsing any folder on your phone. I use it for watching vids and listening to radio stations on Shoutcast etc.

I do however have no serious issues using Mobile Finder. I'm on fw 1.1.3 jailbroken with Ziphone on Windows. My Mobile Finder only works thanks to a fix I installed on Installer. But now there is an iClarified Mobile Finder that you can install that should work just fine. Its the same 1.8.0 version they just altered it so that it works with 1.1.3+ phones.

I hope that helps you. If you have any other questions I'll try my best to answer. Good luck.

there is a mobile finder modified for 113+ on the mmi repository, it WONT install on my iphone (completly) tho, the instalation is halted with amain script execution error message, but the app IS there after it (but installer wont know).

if im not mistaken, if you install the default one, and then this package, it adds some (or maybe all) of the modifications and it works a liitle better :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cocchiararo View Post
    there is a mobile finder modified for 113+ on the mmi repository, it WONT install on my iphone (completly) tho, the instalation is halted with amain script execution error message, but the app IS there after it (but installer wont know).

if im not mistaken, if you install the default one, and then this package, it adds some (or maybe all) of the modifications and it works a liitle better :P
    When you say it works a little better what do you mean exactly? For example my current Mobile Finder works just fine. The only real issue I've found with it is that whenever I open it I have to always manually reset the settings. Otherwise it works fine.
    Big kid playing with iPhone! Learning as I go...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiddoko View Post
    When you say it works a little better what do you mean exactly? For example my current Mobile Finder works just fine. The only real issue I've found with it is that whenever I open it I have to always manually reset the settings. Otherwise it works fine.
    same here is there a fix for this?

Quote Originally Posted by chronzz View Post
    same here is there a fix for this?
    Not that I know of. Its only slightly annoying though. It could be worse. Mobile Finder could not work at all. Its a minor gripe in my opinion.
    Last edited by kiddoko; 2008-03-21 at 10:13 AM.

i want to edit icons in smb themes, move files around (icons etc). can the modified version do that.

Quote Originally Posted by morphiusrt View Post
    i want to edit icons in smb themes, move files around (icons etc). can the modified version do that.
    Yes it can. It can edit in the root directory as well as the mobile directory. When you edit though just do it with files in their native directory. In other words you can move a root file to the mobile directory and vice versa but you will not be able to edit or delete that file. I don't have problems with Mobile Finder so neither should you hopefully.

got the iclarified version from installer source installer/iClarified.com work good so far got main script error but it still installed

Quote Originally Posted by kiddoko View Post
    If the MobileFinder settings are not saving, the permissions for the prefs file is wrong. Doing this is in terminal will fix this:

chmod 4755 private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.googlecode.MobileFinder.plist

Quote Originally Posted by jrentzke View Post
    If the MobileFinder settings are not saving, the permissions for the prefs file is wrong. Doing this is in terminal will fix this:

chmod 4755 private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.googlecode.MobileFinder.plist
    As always attempting to change permissions using Terminal never works for me. Only this time I got an error message that I've never gotten before. It kept telling me "cannot find file, no such file exists". I checked my typing and made sure everything was entered correctly. Still, same error message.

So I gave that up. Instead I finally decided to look into Mobile Finders own Permissions edit system. I have always been afraid to mess with it because you don't enter numbers. Rather its a read, write, execute permissions system. I noticed in that exact same folder there are alot of other plist files. All of which are set to the same permissions according to Mobile Finder. All except for my Mobile Finder plist file ironically.

I decided to change that file to what all the others were listed with as their Read, Write, Exec. Guess what? My Mobile Finder now remembers my settings!!! I didn't realize how easy that would be. And WITHOUT USING TERMINAL!

So I guess its possible to change permissions with Mobile Finder. Just be careful and make sure you know what the parameters should be for your specific phone configuration when you attempt to change them.

Quote Originally Posted by jrentzke View Post

Thanks! I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier. It also works if you change the files permissions in mobile finder itself

where do i change this?what do i do? i found this place in "squid"
    Last edited by shoeshoeshoe; 2008-05-02 at 04:55 AM.

terminal vt or something like that not sure i didn't do it