Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WiFi to USB tethering

Default WiFi to USB tethering
    I'm not the lucky owner of an iPhone, but I recently built a PC and put Windows 7 on it. I have found the occasional need to use WiFi, but have not bought an adapter yet. Is there an app that will let me use any of my jailbroken devices (iPod touch 1st, 2nd, 2nd MC, or 4th generation, or iPad 1) to tether from their WiFi connection to USB? An odd request, I know, especially since most people want to go from cellular to WiFi or USB.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Hmmm. In essence the app needs to act as both a access point and a normal connection while using USB and WiFi. I don't think anything like that exists on iOS. You might find something in the Unix world.

Well not so much an access point as a USB wifi adapter. Though I'm probably oversimplifying.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

USB to WiFi Adapters are abundant and cheap for a PC. Maybe a little more info is needed.

Between all the devices you have, which one will make the external internal connection? That device, or a new and separate router connected directly to the Internet should provide the access for itsself and all the others using a cable or WiFi.

I'll try and clear this up. I have a wireless router located inconvently far from my new PC. Before I had an iMac with built in WiFi, so I had no need for an adaptor. I have several (old and new) iPod touches as well an iPad, all jailbroken. Is it possible to connect one of the iPods to the computer via USB so the computer can access the iPod's Internet connection?

It's worth noting that I'm just trying to be cheap about the whole thing and use what resources I have available to me rather than buying something new. If this is not possible, then obviously I'll probably end up with a wireless adapter.
    Last edited by Raddatzjos; 2011-06-11 at 04:43 PM.

mod edit, must be posted in B/S/T forum
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2011-06-11 at 09:22 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

MyWi & PDANet are the only 3rd party Internet sharing apps for iOS I'm aware of. Neither much help to you. There was talk about a future MyWi version acting in dual-mode. I don't believe it ever happened.

Well thanks for your help at any rate.