Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Categories safe?

Default Is Categories safe?
    I've heard a lot of about it, and I'm tempted to download, but I've heard from a lot of people that it crashes the phone, and that you have to restore. Is it safe to download it?

I have a 3.1.3 3GS.

isnt categories just to make folders? that's now native on ios. or are you looking to expand them? theres a few good apps to expand the native folders to fit more apps.

Quote Originally Posted by idkanymore View Post
    isnt categories just to make folders? that's now native on ios. or are you looking to expand them? theres a few good apps to expand the native folders to fit more apps.
    Yeah, but I don't use iOS4.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Its safe if you are not on iOS4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

alexd97 (2011-06-04)

Well categories was very popular when there was no iOS4 so I'm pretty sure it's safe for 3.1.3. I've never installed it myself so I cant tell you that 100%.

Out of curiousity, why havent you updated yet? The newest version of iOS 4.3.3 is easily jailbroken and you can keep your firmware for unlocking if you follow the instructions

Well categories was very popular when there was no iOS4 so I'm pretty sure it's safe for 3.1.3. I've never installed it myself so I cant tell you that 100%.

Out of curiousity, why havent you updated yet? The newest version of iOS 4.3.3 is easily jailbroken and you can keep your firmware for unlocking if you follow the instructions
    Well, my dad who gave me the 3GS, bought it from a store, used. He said that if you restored the phone or update, it would lock and you'd need the original SIM, which the storeowner in France has. In other words, I'd have to sendnit to France. I don't really know if I should believe him. I've heard of stuff like SAM or something that's supposed to unlock the wihout the official carrier.
    Last edited by alexd97; 2011-05-28 at 06:57 PM.

Did he ever give you a specific reason? I've never heard of that before but it could be true I suppose. I never heard of a phone needing the original sim if you restore it.

Well, I understand it that the iPhone needs the original SIM to be unlocked, unless it's hacktivated, right? Because otherwise, it'd say incompatible SIM or something. Am I right or wrong here?

By the way, I installed Categories. It works perfectly.

Honestly, I am not sure. I think it would be best to start a new thread for specifically that question. If the phone was bought in France for the carrier in France, and you had to unlock it so you could use it, then I could understand it more but I am no expert on unlocking since I've only done it once.

Very interested to see the solution though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to idkanymore For This Useful Post:

alexd97 (2011-06-04)

Honestly, I am not sure. I think it would be best to start a new thread for specifically that question. If the phone was bought in France for the carrier in France, and you had to unlock it so you could use it, then I could understand it more but I am no expert on unlocking since I've only done it once.

Very interested to see the solution though.
    I updated it to iOS 4.3.3 hacktivated with sn0wbreeze. I then installed ultrasn0w and SAM. Works perfectly. I'm syncing all my songs and apps right now.

This post might have changed from being question about Categories!

Very nice! so you preserved your baseband while updating right? I'm assuming the hacktivated with sn0wbreeze preserves the baseband and is a modified ipsw?

Very nice! so you preserved your baseband while updating right? I'm assuming the hacktivated with sn0wbreeze preserves the baseband and is a modified ipsw?
    Yeah. Before pressing Build IPSW, I pressed General and then clicked Hacktivate.