Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unbale to SSH to Iphone 3Gs

Default Unbale to SSH to Iphone 3Gs
    Ok, so this is weird. Last week I was able to SSH using WinSCP on Windows 7. But now I try and it always says this stupid error (I attached the image). Here are the settings I am using.

Host Name: {my ip address}
    Port Number: 22 (the default)
    User name: root
    Password: alpine
    Protocol: SFTP/FTP/SCP (tried all 3)

I tried also using CyberDuck on a mac, and I get same error's and I am positive its not my WinSCP cuz I can perfectly connect to my own website server and it works fine. But I cant on my iphone

Help please

--EDIT--

And yes I do got OpenSSH installed on my iphone, and its enabled >_<
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -untitled.png  
    Last edited by haddad; 2010-11-05 at 04:49 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Get iPhone Explorer (free)! It's USB based but headache free. No settings required...just plug in and go!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Just have to install afc2add from Cydia to access root files with a USB-based client

Thanks

Pending on which JB u used. I've noticed that both limerain and greenpoison have somehow incorporated it into their JB. For example, I recently restored and jailbroke w/ limerain - used iPhone Explorer and could immediately access my Root file system!! I then did an install of a Cydia.deb file in the AutoInstall folder just to see if it would work and it did!!!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

That's a good point. Well if it's already there, then that's good.

Thanks

Now it's up to haddads setup. Like u said, he'll have to get afc2add if it's not those recent JB tools.

Thanks

@Anniex423
    What do u use to SSH?

Quote Originally Posted by haddad View Post
    Ok, so this is weird. Last week I was able to SSH using WinSCP on Windows 7. But now I try and it always says this stupid error (I attached the image). Here are the settings I am using.

Host Name: {my ip address}
    Port Number: 22 (the default)
    User name: root
    Password: alpine
    Protocol: SFTP/FTP/SCP (tried all 3)

I tried also using CyberDuck on a mac, and I get same error's and I am positive its not my WinSCP cuz I can perfectly connect to my own website server and it works fine. But I cant on my iphone

Help please

--EDIT--

And yes I do got OpenSSH installed on my iphone, and its enabled >_<
    Do you have MobileTerminal installed?
    SBSettings?
    Are you connecting through USB or WiFi?
    (If WiFi- are you sure the IP address for the phone is correct?)
    Can you ping the phone on its IP from Windows?

Did you update iTunes? (are you on version 10, by any chance?)
    Last edited by raduga; 2010-11-05 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    Do you have MobileTerminal installed?
    SBSettings?
    Are you connecting through USB or WiFi?
    (If WiFi- are you sure the IP address for the phone is correct?)
    Can you ping the phone on its IP from Windows?

Did you update iTunes? (are you on version 10, by any chance?)
    MobileTerminal? No I dont think I have that. And I am using wifi of course, why would I SSH then? And no I did not try pining the phone's IP Address. And why would I need to update iTunes if I am not using it? I am using WinSCP and my iphone

Also for everyone else, I know there is USB-based programs. I have tried usb-base programs and they work and I did not install anything extra.

But I would really like to have this openssh work.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    MobileTerminal? No I dont think I have that. And I am using wifi of course, why would I SSH then? And no I did not try pining the phone's IP Address. And why would I need to update iTunes if I am not using it? I am using WinSCP and my iphone

Also for everyone else, I know there is USB-based programs. I have tried usb-base programs and they work and I did not install anything extra.

Does same USB-based program true for 3G? Details!
    And for what reasons it is necessary to install MobileTerminal on iPhone for windows winscp...

Thanks

Yes, iPhone explorer works w/ 3G. Just get it.... You'll be happy!

Idk why/if WinSCP uses MobileTerminal but who cares! WinSCP is too much trouble just to SSH into ur phone.

MobileTerminal? No I dont think I have that.
    MobileTerminal gives you a login shell directly on your iPhone. Not (for everything) a replacement for remote SSH, but from there you can do pretty much everything that you could from SSH, and you can verify that things are configured the way you think they are.

If remote SSH isn't working, get MobileTerminal.

And I am using wifi of course, why would I SSH then?
    Some people use SSH over USB- because its faster and the connection is bit more stable than WiFi. Its also buggier and there are more potential problems that would make it stop working.

So, if you're NOT using USB, that simplifies the issue a bit.

And no I did not try pining the phone's IP Address.
    Do that. If you can't ping the phone from Windows or your Mac, chances are good that the address you're connecting to is wrong, or else WiFi isn't working on the iPhone.

And why would I need to update iTunes if I am not using it?
    If you were using SSH over USB,(or iPhoneBrowser, or iPhoneExplorer, etc) iTunes would be relevant even if you never use it at all. SSH/USB uses iTunes drivers and DLLs. If you had upgraded iTunes, it's quite possible that would have broken the USB connection programs. Since you don't use those, we can rule that out.

Usually, not upgrading iTunes is better than upgrading. Older is better

I am using WinSCP and my iphone
    Great. You hadn't specified earlier, so we couldn't tell if this was an additional complication.

Yes, that would be nice.

MobileTerminal is not required by any of the above.

Its an alternative to remote SSH, and I strongly suggest you get it, if only because it will help tremendously in debugging and fixing problems.

_____

Ok.
    Your first step should be: verify the IP address your iPhone is using under WiFi.
    Second step: ping the iPhone from Windows/etc.
    Third: Install MobileTerminal, verify that the ssh bits are configured correctly.
    Fourth use MobileTerminal to ping the PC. Enable SSH on the Mac, and use MobileTerminal to SSH from the iPhone to the Mac.

None of these are required for ordinary use, but they can be helpful in diagnosing the problem and finding out where things are broken.

Your problem isn't an "SSH problem", its a "Network problem" and you need to tackle it the way you would other types of network problems.

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post

Ok.
    Your first step should be: verify the IP address your iPhone is using under WiFi.
    Second step: ping the iPhone from Windows/etc.
    Third: Install MobileTerminal, verify that the ssh bits are configured correctly.
    Fourth use MobileTerminal to ping the PC. Enable SSH on the Mac, and use MobileTerminal to SSH from the iPhone to the Mac.

None of these are required for ordinary use, but they can be helpful in diagnosing the problem and finding out where things are broken.

Your problem isn't an "SSH problem", its a "Network problem" and you need to tackle it the way you would other types of network problems.
    1- I verified my ip adress
    2- I did ping from my pc and it worked and I got 4 replies
    3- I installed mobileterminal, and whenever I try to run it, it closes within 1sec, so it does not work
    4- Cant use mobile terminal (read #3)

Thanks

You need the MobileTerminal ios4 (assuming ur on iOS 4.x)
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-06 at 01:15 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

raduga (2010-11-06)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Thazsar, you need to watch the repos you're directing users to. That's your second reference to repos/sites that contain pirated material. Just make sure the things you mention don't host cracked items, or I can't keep letting you off the hook. No penalty again this time, k? Just be careful.

Thanks

Ah man, again! I'm sorry again...I thought it was one of Cydias extra sources. I was even made fun of in other forums for not disclosing the name cuz they said it's a Cydia source!!! So, I figured it was safe...

My bad, I'm gonna keep my mouth shut regarding repos/websites from now on. I appreciate the warning...like u, I'm just wanting to help...not promote piracy!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Sigh, you posted the name again. I removed it. Lol stop saying it ok? I'm gonna go now and trust you'll be good...

Edit: for future reference, if you wanna help users with mobileterminal iOS 4, that file is very easily found with Google. Just download it and SSH it into the Applications folder, and that will do the trick.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-06 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Sigh, you posted the name again. I removed it. Lol stop saying it ok? I'm gonna go now and trust you'll be good...

Edit: for future reference, if you wanna help users with mobileterminal iOS 4, that file is very easily found with Google. Just download it and SSH it into the Applications folder, and that will do the trick.
    Edit: for current reference, read the thread title.

the user's problem is that he can't SSH in the first place,
    and doesn't know what's wrong.

In this case, googling up .debs isn't going to help much.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

The OP couldn't use WinSCP. USB-based clients can do the job. If you download the file in .app format, you can drop it into the Applications folder.