Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Enable Facetime in a banned country

Default Enable Facetime in a banned country
    I live in Egypt and I just purchased the iPhone 4 and I discovered that due to some problems FaceTime is not available right now.
    Can't find the on/off button in Settings>Phone or anything

so is there anyway to Re enable Facetime through modifying a .plist file (same as enabling APN editing)

Please if anyone have any helpful idea it is welcomed

Thank you,

Do u guys have wifi over there? It might be possible with mitime but make sure it's not illegal first. Are u jailbroken?

yes of course Wifi is everywhere .. and um on iOS 4.1 so i am waiting the GreenPoison on sunday

Some countries don't have wifi, after u jAilbreak, download mitime from cydia and it will tell u if u can enable it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Waleed786 For This Useful Post:

SHouSHa (2010-10-08)

perfect .. but just 2 things on mind is that i want it only on wifi i don't want it over 3G .. and also if there is another way to enable it through modifying any .plist file would be pleasant ..

but anyways i appreciate it .. Thank you

Mitime activates by sending a text message to the server to enable it. It doesn't matter if u change ur plist, if ur carrier doesn't support it then it won't work. Maybe u can change the plist and get the FaceTime button, but it still won't work because it can't send the text message to activate. Mitime in cydia will send a text message and activate for u. It works on wifi no problem, no 3G

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Waleed786 For This Useful Post:

SHouSHa (2010-10-08)

Well since i won't be able to BUY mitime .. so I would like to at least show the Facetime button in settings and try to see if it works .. cuz i am already on Vodafone and I know that Vodafone worldwide is supporting Facetime talking ..

so if there is anyway to initially try and show the facetime button in settings to see if it would work or not before BUYING an application would be delightful

Download mitime, it will tell u if it will work, then u buy. If it does not work, it will tell u before u buy. As for the plist, go to safari and type in the address bar "FaceTime://" then type ur phone number after that. Tell me what happens

Well the thing is that i don't have a credit card to be able to buy anything at the moment .. and um sure that my carrier supports FaceTime because iPhones bought from outside the country have FaceTime enabled in them and working too on same network as mine ..

about the safari thing .. Facetime://fone number .. it says invalid address

Oh okay then u don't need mitime, but if "FaceTime://" gives u invalid address then it's not just the button that is missing, I think the entire FaceTime app is gone. You will just have to buy another iPhone from outside of Egypt

Ur talking as if buying another iPhone is a simple thing bro it's not that cheap .. And since um jailbreaking my device so I guess even if the whole app is missing then I can get it somehow .. And that is what I was talking about .. Wheather showing the button or even putting a whole folder through diskAid or ssh

There are millions of FaceTime codes all over the OS, I don't think u can just put them in with SSH. Also, if FaceTime is banned there then are probably very few people who use it, so you wouldn't be able to FaceTime with a lot of people. U can try an app like fring that uses the front camera and works over wifi.
    Also, the FaceTime server must have the iPhones serial number on file, so it knows which ones are allowed and which ones are not.
    For months, peep have tried to get the FaceTime files on the 3GS and couldn't get it working at all, I think ur in a similar situation because ur missing the entire FaceTime app

If the app is missing, then they're blocking it via firmware. That means the solution is simple: re-download 4.1 using a proxy located in the US, and shift-restore to the file you downloaded.

That way you're getting the US version of the firmware, rather than the crippled version that Apple offers in your country.

That's a good idea...so that would install the US version of the firmware? I was thinking about that but I didn't think that they check ur location from the IP address, I thought they check it based on the serial number, so they know where the iPhones from.

You download the firmware using your PC. There's no way they can check the serial.

I already downloaded the iOS from a site not from iTunes and I did it using shift+restore .. But I guess it checks with apple's server while it is installing the software anyway I will try it now and tell u the updates

or maybe while installing iTunes checks the serial and installs with respect to the phones location ?
    Last edited by SHouSHa; 2010-10-08 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

No, Apple's server does a simple signature check. There's no way they can flag individual apps to not be installed.

The only other thing it could be is a carrier setting thing, and that'll be easily undoable once you're jailbroken.
    Last edited by cypherpunk; 2010-10-08 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm guessing it's gunna yell an error code at you and you will have to use TinyUmbrella to push it out

Download it from
    http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

That's the site I use, I would assume it has the one you need, as for checking where you are I would assume it does that with your ip address when you connect to iTunes, if you know how to ping hop or maybe fake your ip you could get apple to US verify it

Quote Originally Posted by cypherpunk View Post
    You download the firmware using your PC. There's no way they can check the serial.
    They check the serial when ur installing it..otherwise u would be able to install an iPhone 4 firmware on a 3GS. I also think that they check the location from the serial, not the IP. Otherwise this would be a huge loophole, apple would not allow it. If I brought a Canadian iPhone into the US and upgraded to 4.1, it would still be locked to Rogers even though the firmware and baseband were updated, because they checked the serial.
    Last edited by Waleed786; 2010-10-08 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    They check the serial when ur installing it..otherwise u would be able to install an iPhone 4 firmware on a 3GS. I also think that they check the location from the serial, not the IP. Otherwise this would be a huge loophole, apple would not allow it. If I brought a Canadian iPhone into the US and upgraded to 4.1, it would still be locked to Rogers even though the firmware and baseband were updated, because they checked the serial.
    So cant you just use an ip spoofer and turn off location services? Fakemyip.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast