Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Enable Facetime in a banned country

That's what I was saying, I think they check what country the iPhone is from using the serial number, it has nothing to do with the ip address. Each serial tells apple what country the iPhone is from, and when u restore, it read the serial so it knows what software to install. So unless someone finds a way to change or spoof the serial, I say it's impossible to install a USA firmware on a non-USA iphone

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    That's what I was saying, I think they check what country the iPhone is from using the serial number, it has nothing to do with the ip address. Each serial tells apple what country the iPhone is from, and when u restore, it read the serial so it knows what software to install. So unless someone finds a way to change or spoof the serial, I say it's impossible to install a USA firmware on a non-USA iphone
    Well thats hard to answer, Apple knows people travel, so when people are traveling and they update the iOS does it give them the one from the country they are in or the US version when they are abroad, it would seam as though iTunes only routes the serial number to check this

But it would seam to fix this that u could buy a US iPhone from someone in the states and sell your current one on eBay, I would state in the posting that there are FaceTime issues and someone will buy it thinking that you are stupid and they can fix it lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i bought my iPhone 4 from vodafone Egypt ,i had facetime working on 4.0.2 and did a couple of calls too but when i upgraded to 4.1 now its totally gone. yesterday i jailbroke with limera1n and checked the system files and guess what facetime.app is there !! so im guessing its just disabled by a certain check the system does on the phones serial number .also guessing it can be re-enabled by changing a .plist or some system file .Just like the time when GPS was banned back on 3.0(or 2.0 dont really remember) in Egypt, i had it working by changing some stuff in my locationd file.

Yes i just used limera1n too .. and I did what u did with the GPS too .. I just need sum1 to tell me how to enable the Settings on/off facetime button !! through a .plist or sth
    Last edited by SHouSHa; 2010-10-10 at 11:17 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yea same here I'll try to look further for answers and will post any updates here

6. The Following User Says Thank You to merodahero For This Useful Post:

gierran (2010-10-10)

where did u find the Facetime.app exactly in the system ? cuz um trying to search for it

I just found info about the Facetime inside the infoplist.strings in the mobilephone.app

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

there it is its in : /system/library/privateframeworks/Imcore.framework/imagnet.app/plugins/facetime.imservice/
    or atleast its what looks like the facetime files
    Last edited by merodahero; 2010-10-10 at 09:43 PM.

ok i'm going to make a new post about just the setting button

Quote Originally Posted by SHouSHa View Post
    ok i'm going to make a new post about just the setting button
    Yes! That is what we need to fix to get Facetime in the UAE. I have started looking for the file controlling this. I hope it's a plist.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i got a friend coming thats got an iphone 4 on 4.0.2 gonna try to compare system files on both . esp the imagnet.app thingy

Quote Originally Posted by merodahero View Post
    i got a friend coming thats got an iphone 4 on 4.0.2 gonna try to compare system files on both . esp the imagnet.app thingy
    It would be great if it's as simple as a .plist file.

merodahero, are you in Dubai? If you are we should meet for some coffee and compare notes.
    Last edited by gierran; 2010-10-10 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yea i really doubt its gonna be something as a plist at least my past experience with the banning of GPS in Egypt tells me so, back then had to edit the locationd which is a daemon. but still wouldnt hurt to hope at least untill were sure. and nope im in Egypt

what was the location of locationd daemon?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

/usr/libexec

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default good luck
    I hope you find the solution.. I thought I won't need to jailbreak if I get a factory unlocked device.. but here i am waiting to jailbreak

Why r u waiting to jailbreak?

Jailbreak it now with Limera1n.com or greenpoisi0n.com

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I meant waiting for a solution to the banned facetime.. and at that time i will jailbreak.. otherwise i don't need the jailbreak!!

If it's anywhere it will probably be in com.apple.springboard under a plist

Hey guys, any updates?
    Here in Saudi Arabia we have the same issue , after updating to 4.1 it disappears .

I used face break (cydia) to inforce the face time option to reappear but again when I select FaceTime call it says waiting for activation .
    I hope we can fin a solution soon enough coz it's a really big problem specially to a guy like me with all my family living in London .
    It's weird that apple banned it here while here there is no restriction for Voip services of any kind!!
    Also the the carrier was surprised apple did that without being asked!

Do u think maybe 4.2 will fix this?

If anyone tried to restore from the us OS and worked for him plz tell us

Actually you can fix this now

Go find the file in the picture and you should be able to fix it

Please thank me on site if I've helped
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imageuploadedbymodmyi.jpg  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast