Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No thanks for the Mobile Substrate update

Default No thanks for the Mobile Substrate update
    Thanks for nothing, you just bricked my 3GS (spinning wheel of death then reboot loop). Is it really too much to ask when I download an update from Cydia for it to actually work properly, or at least without bricking my phone? Unstable and untested releases should never be pushed into the main repository; what is the ******* point of having beta repos if nobody ******* uses them!?

By the way, if anyone else is having the same problem, Saurik's server is useless for restoring to 3.1.3, you'll have to use TinyTSS.

It locked for me...but I forced a shutdown and upon reboot it was fine. Sucks man. Can you restore ur 3.1.3?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to D00mFighteR For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (2010-08-06)

Yeah, no problems restoring, but like I said, Saurik's server doesn't work.

The latest wave of cydia updates was troublesome for me, but nothing a hard reset couldn't fix.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ocojaa View Post
    The latest wave of cydia updates was troublesome for me, but nothing a hard reset couldn't fix.
    Same here. Spinning wheel for 20 minutes. Rebooted and its fine now.

Same as bgatis, there is a new update today for mobile substrate, i'll stay away for now ...

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D00mFighteR View Post
    It locked for me...but I forced a shutdown and upon reboot it was fine. Sucks man. Can you restore ur 3.1.3?
    Same here do the forced shutdown then reboot

I was stuck at the spinning wheel on my ipad after updating yesterday. Did a plain ol' power+home button reset and all was fine, booted up like new

My iPhone 4 had no problems at all. Hmmmm

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

No problems here. It's sad that after all the work Saurik had personally done for us in the jailbreaking community that people react this way when a little bump in the road comes along. This sort of thing happens when you play outside of Apple's sandbox. Rock Your Phone has consistently bricked my phone so I learned to deal with it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    No problems here. It's sad that after all the work Saurik had personally done for us in the jailbreaking community that people react this way when a little bump in the road comes along. This sort of thing happens when you play outside of Apple's sandbox. Rock Your Phone has consistently bricked my phone so I learned to deal with it.
    Yes Saurik has done a lot of work for the jailbreaking community and for that I am grateful!

Rock never bricked my phone but they caused me to have to restore once! Just a bump in the road! But they did apoligize and I accepted and life goes on!

I know you have been in the jailbreaking community a lot longer than I so I am sure you have had your ups and downs with apps and software!

If someone wants a guarantee I don't they should be jailbreaking!

One thing I have found out in life is that people come more near remembering you for something negative that all the positive thing!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to area51crypto For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (2010-08-07)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

It can be frustrating for sure. I have done more harm to my phone by experimenting with my own tweaks than any other dev's software ever will. It is all part of jailbreaking though. I will always have a jailbroken iPhone even if it means SWODs and Safemode headaches

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (2010-08-07)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    It can be frustrating for sure. I have done more harm to my phone by experimenting with my own tweaks than any other dev's software ever will. It is all part of jailbreaking though. I will always have a jailbroken iPhone even if it means SWODs and Safemode headaches
    Oh yea most defiantly.