Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ToneFXS Problems and Questions

Default ToneFXS Problems and Questions
    Hello all, I have a jailbroken 3GS Iphone with the 3.1.3 OS. I downloaded ToneFXS through Cydia and the program for my computer(PC running Vista). When I go to send a tone I've created from ToneFXS creator it states

This is a picture of the message I receive

Imageshack - photoclw.jpg

Obviously Itunes is already installed on my computer and running. If anyone knows of a way to correct this so I can add some fun tones to my phone, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks!

- Jeff

Maybe it's your version of iTunes it can't work with.
    Add your tones manually to /var/mobile/Media/Eifko/SoundEffects/

Quote Originally Posted by wim66 View Post
    Maybe it's your version of iTunes it can't work with.
    Add your tones manually to /var/mobile/Media/Eifko/SoundEffects/

I've got the newest version of Itunes 9.1.1 which is supposed to be compatable for ToneFXS.

In regards to adding the tones manually, I'm confused. How do I get to that destination? Any detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Same here...worked fine for me back when I bought this in December...using it again now and getting the same thing...doesn't find iTunes, will let you look like its uploading to phone but then get a message that it doesn't see your iphone..wtf! I put a service email to Eifko...hopefully they can sort it out or I'd like my money back.

Check out i-funbox.com it's the solution to all of our needs. I've got all of my ridiculous sounds from Diehard, Entourage, and Jim Rome back!

Well even though ToneFXs wont upload to the phone it still converts your mp3 to aiff and then caf and then actually puts a copy of it in a backup folder on your computer. So at least you can take that converted file and use WinSCP to drop it into the ToneFXs folder in your iPhone and set sounds.

Sucks that its not working 100% but at least it works on the phone and does what its supposed to do. Just the extra step of having to manually transfer it to the phone...no big deal.

ToneFX people finally replied to my 3rd email to them. They said they know there's an issue with the latest iTunes and not seeing the phone and they're working on it. Lets see how long that takes.

were do i find the back up file in my computer so that i can drop it in wis winscp,i did it a while back and forgot were to look for it,please help.

Hello everyone!

My name is Jesse and I literally jailbreaked my iPhone for the first time last night. I may be a complete and total newb to the whole scene, but I think I've found an alternate way in getting around the problem with ToneFXs not recognizing iTunes. The following is the step-by-step process I used to get my custom tones to work on my iPhone. Mind you that I'm running "Windows Vista" in addition to "iTunes 9.2.1.5." If you follow everything carefully, there's no reason why you shouldn't be in the clear.

One thing I should explain to other first-time jailbreakers is that unlike with regular iPods/iPod Touches, Apple doesn't give you the option to use your iPhone as an external hard disk drive. What this means is that you as the user are not allowed to access the internal working files of your iPhone, making your typical drag-and-drop scenarios impossible...unless of course you have the right program.

Step 1: Download and install the program, "iPhone Browser."

Explanation: As I just mentioned, users aren't typically able to access the internal files of an iPhone. This program does away with that barrier. Although there ARE other programs that serve this same exact purpose, I chose this one as it was the first that was brought to my attention. To find it, type in "iPhone Browser" within the search box located on any common search engine (I chose Google.com). The version I'm currently running is version 1.9.3.0. I'm not exactly sure if there's a more updated version of this program (as of today, 08.22.2010). All I know was that it was first result on the page. While later versions will constantly be released from here on out, I'm pretty sure that they'll more or less do the same thing, so I wouldn't worry so much about version discrepancies.

Step 2: Connect your iPhone to your computer and run "iPhone Browser."

Explanation: Upon startup, iPhone Browser will provide you with a full list of folders located within your iPhone's programming. The folder you'll need to access ToneFxs' data is located within several subdirectories.

Step 3: Locate and click the folder, "var."
    Step 4: Locate and click the folder titled, "mobile" within the "var" subdirectory.
    Step 5: Locate and click the folder titled, "Media" within the "mobile" subdirectory.
    Step 6: Locate and click the folder titled, "Efiko" within the "Media" subdirectory.
    Step 7: Click the "SoundEffects" folder.

Explanation: The "SoundEffects" folder is the folder that ToneFXs uses to house your custom tones. After clicking it, iPhone Browser should give you a list on the right side of the screen with all of the sample tones. This is where you will be adding your custom tone.

Step 8: Run iTunes and import your desired tone into your iTunes Library.

Explanation: This is where we bypass the part where ToneFXs won't transfer our custom tone. However, we need to perform an extra step as it's necessary to convert your sound file into .aiff format so that the program itself will recognize it.

Step 8a: Make any necessary adjustments to the start and ending times of your custom tone. If your file is ready as is, skip to step 9.

Explanation: ToneFXs gives you the ability to edit the length of your custom tone by allowing you to adjust the start and end times of the sound file. So does iTunes. To access this feature with iTunes, right-click your desired tone and select "Get Info" from the top of the pop-up menu. From here, click the "Options" tab to the right of the window and look down to where it has the "Start Time" and "End Time" options. Make sure that both of the boxes next to each option are checked. This is where you're able to shorten your tone to just the right length as with ToneFXs. However, it's important to be cognizant of that while ToneFXs separates minutes, seconds, and milliseconds with colons, iTunes separates only minutes and seconds with a colon. It separates seconds from milliseconds with a decimal point. For example, if you determined that the start time for your tone was 1.7 seconds into the sound file on ToneFXs, it would read, "00:01:70." On iTunes, that would translate to "00:01.7." After cutting your sound file down to size, play it back to make sure it's exactly how you want it to sound.

Step 9: Convert your selection into a .aiff file using iTunes.

Explanation: After you've edited your sound file, you must now convert it into a special format so that ToneFXs recognizes it as a custom tone.

Step 9a: Click the "Edit" tab at the upper-left area of iTunes and select "Preferences" at the bottom of the pop-up menu.
    Step 9b: In the "General" tab click where it says "Import Settings" towards the middle-right of the window.
    Step 9c: Set the encoder to "AIFF encoder" by clicking on the box next to "Import Using" at the top of the window.
    Step 9d: Click OK at the bottom of the pop-up window.

Explanation: This allows you to convert any file in your iTunes library to .aiff format.

Step 10: Right-click your desired tone and select "Create AIFF Version" from the pop-up menu.

Explanation: A .aiff file of the selected portion of your desired tone will be created within your iTunes library. Once completed, it will appear directly beneath the original file.

Step 11: Right-click the new .aiff file and select "Show in Windows Explorer" from the pop-up menu.
    Step 11a: Rename the file extention from ".aiff" to ".caf."

Explanation: Although the sound file is technically in .aiff format, your iPhone reads tones within itself as .caf files.

Step 12: Drag and drop your new .caf file into the "SoundEffects" folder via iPhone Browser.

That should just about do it! Granted, it seems like a lot of work, but the whole process shouldn't take you more than two minutes after you get used to it all. The longest part for me was editing my start and ending times...I'm very picky, haha. I really hope this helps someone until an easier way is found. If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me. I'll do my best to respond.

THIS IS FOR PC INSTRUCTIONS

I know you put a lot of work into your work around to get tones working with ToneFX but the easiest way is to download the free ToneFXs creator from Efiko's site

Efiko Software - ToneFXs Download

Launch ToneFXsCreator and create your tonefxs like you have done before. It will still pop up an error. Simply click Ok.

you'll have to enable "show invisible files" here:

Now if on Windows Vista or Win 7: go to CUsers\UserName\AppData\Roaming\ToneFXsCreator\tone fxsbackup to find the file you just created.

If on Windows XP, go to

CDocuments and Settings\User name\ Application Data\ ToneFXsCreator\tonefxsbackup

Copy this file to the /var/mobile/Media/Efiko/SoundEffects folder on your iPhone and it will appear when next you launch ToneFXs on the iPhone.

So now every time i try to add a tone through toneFx it tells me to go to "get a tonefx" and enter some code. wtf..

hello........ i had installed tonefxs...then i had removed it... this i had made 2-3 times...bt now i dot have tonefxs.. bt my original text messages tones are not sounding... and also after installiation of tonefxs the massage sounds also nat ringing..