Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apps know they are on a jailbroke device?

Default Apps know they are on a jailbroke device?
    I installed 'M-Learning' via iTunes store. The app won't run because it says it's 'not designed to run on a jailbreak device.'

How does it know and is there a way to fool it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

No offense; but is it a legal version? I am just saying because they have ways have seeing if it is a cracked version but not fully sure how they can see if your device is jailbroken as that would make them have to check restricted parts of the system that Apple doesn't allow access to.
    Last edited by Cer0; 2010-05-08 at 07:05 AM.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Thanks

This does happen with paid appstore apps and jailbroken phones. There was a similar issue with TFLN too.

How does the app know? I'm not sure but it can't be that hard to figure out.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but as of today my iTunes account literaly ceased to exist. When I download an app it claims I have a wrong password. Then when I try to restore the password it says if can't find the specified account.

Might have to do with jailbreak.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

We did see a couple people get their accounts hacked too the past couple weeks also. I am curious how it is happening then too if they are legit apps.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

@Cerote: ha, good question but, yes, it's legal. In fact I encourage others to download and test. This is a free app a via iTunes store. You get it and then it acts as a 'player' for other content accessible from the Cisco Learning Store, content which you would pay to get. That content is encrypted to a useerid which the player decrypts and 'plays'.

But the problem remains that it can tell if you're jailbroke. Doesn't Skype know when it's on a jailbroke iPhone? I think i recall seeing MSG re that...

Thanks

I just tried it. It knows you're jailbroken.

Oh great, are actually going to be forced to download cracked versions of apps we've paid fir just so we can ******* use them!?

App developers who do this need a bullet through the skull right now.

Can anyone here code a hack that can trick selected apps into thinking they're on a jailed iPhone? I really don't want to be installing you-know-what anytime soon. =/