Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help finding memory leak

Default Need help finding memory leak
    I have a iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 jailbroken with quickpwn.
    For a while its been great, but over the last 2 months Ive noticed my ram keeps on going down to to around 10mb. I usually end up killing safari, and goes back up to around 80mb, but when I use other app store programs ram seems to keep falling while using them.
    I talked to the developer of an app store app that I use allot and they said their app NEVER uses more the 20mb. But on my iPhone it keeps going down, and doesn't stop. So I think there is a memory leak in some cydia system app that is causing this.
    After a reboot ram starts at around 150mb, after using apps, my ram is down to about 80mb and stays at that while I'm not using any apps But when I use pretty much any app ram keeps going down,down,down.

Has any one else seen this issue?

I have the flowing system cydia apps installed:
    SBsettings, Boss paper, Back grounder, kirikae, InSpell, MultiIcon mover, privaCy, quickSMS (and their widgets,calendar), status Notifier, 3G unrestrictor, 60 second lock screen,boss paper, Open ssh, core utilities, activator
    Last edited by peteo; 2010-03-22 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

On mine Safari is what takes a chunk of memory. Instead of a reboot can't you use SBSettings to see what processes are running and kill them and clear memory? That is what I do to clear out Safari and get back that chunk of memory.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

The SBsettings More app has a great feature that let's you see what MS (Mobile Substrate) extensions are running. What's more, this feature allows you to turn them off. This is the same as going into /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/ and renaming dylib files to *.disabled (for reference). Please note that this is for experienced users, who understand thoroughly what they are doing. That being said, using SBSettings one can disable, preferably one-by-one, MS extensions to see if that clears up the memory leak. Beware that backgrounding apps is likely the culprit, but I've never seen my ram drop down to < 20 mb. I hope this helps.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

It's quickSMS. I have the same memory leak. I use irealsms 3 and that's when the issue started. No biggie.. just respring every couple days.

Thanks

Put a piece of cardboard under the iPhone overnight. If there is a leak there will be a puddle of memory on the cardboard by morning

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Effenpig! For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (2010-03-23)

^^^^ lol!