Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3.1 JB, iTunes 9, and 5 elements springboard items

Default 3.1 JB, iTunes 9, and 5 elements springboard items
    Now that there is a jailbreak for 3.1 I am curious to know if anybody has experience with the following issues:

1. How does a jailbroken 3.1 work with iTunes 9? Any problem?

2. How about a jailbroken 3.1 running the 5 items dock, or fiveirows, or five columns springboard? What happens when you try to use iTunes to rearrange your springboard items? Movement, the JB app that does this, does not 'see' five rows, but at least does not crash (and it's fine with 5 items dock)?

Anybody with first hand experience?

Thanks
    iPhone 2G Pwned 3.1.2
    MBP OSX 10.6.3

I would love to know the exact same thing myself...

Default Don't Hold Your Breath
    I just upgraded to 3.1 jailbreak last night and have noticed a few things:

1. Jailbreak apps do show up in App Management, but only in Homescreen display, not in app list.

2. Homescreen display in AM only shows 4x4 with 4 icon dock

3. App Sync defaults to off. When I sync, I have to check the box to sync apps then go through and select all the app store apps I want to keep on my iPhone, then arrange them as I had them prior to sync (huge pain). When I select the apps to keep, itunes just drops them onto the Homescreens in the order I check them.

4. Seems like backups take even longer now

5. I'm really happy I backed up my jailbreak apps with PKG Backup; it worked very well with facebook integration.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to acsan44 For This Useful Post:

marcoiac (2009-09-16)

Quote Originally Posted by acsan44 View Post
    I just upgraded to 3.1 jailbreak last night and have noticed a few things:

1. Jailbreak apps do show up in App Management, but only in Homescreen display, not in app list.

2. Homescreen display in AM only shows 4x4 with 4 icon dock

3. App Sync defaults to off. When I sync, I have to check the box to sync apps then go through and select all the app store apps I want to keep on my iPhone, then arrange them as I had them prior to sync (huge pain). When I select the apps to keep, itunes just drops them onto the Homescreens in the order I check them.

4. Seems like backups take even longer now

5. I'm really happy I backed up my jailbreak apps with PKG Backup; it worked very well with facebook integration.
    First of all, thanks for the comprehensive and informative reply. I assume you have a 5 icon dock and maybe five columns and five rows? It's that true? At any rate, it sounds like a huge pain. But I guess you can still use the old system to sync, right? Because if you can't, I am not even sure I want to upgrade.

Please let us know.
    iPhone 2G Pwned 3.1.2
    MBP OSX 10.6.3

First, I do have 5CSB, 5rows and 5 icon dock. After another sync it's apparent that the App Management feature is a step backward for jb'ers.

While the app sync no longer defaults to unchecked (I no longer have to select my apps every time), iTunes unfortunately messes with app arrangement. I still have the 5x5 structure on my springboard but only 16 apps appear in each page, along with only 3 apps in the dock, for whatever reason. I'm still searching for a way to keep iTunes 9 and the 3.1 firmware without having to use the AM feature.

First, I do have 5CSB, 5rows and 5 icon dock. After another sync it's apparent that the App Management feature is a step backward for jb'ers.

While the app sync no longer defaults to unchecked (I no longer have to select my apps every time), iTunes unfortunately messes with app arrangement. I still have the 5x5 structure on my springboard but only 16 apps appear in each page, along with only 3 apps in the dock, for whatever reason. I'm still searching for a way to keep iTunes 9 and the 3.1 firmware without having to use the AM feature.
    Thanks again. Well, if you find a solution let us know. At this point, I am thinking of upgrading to 3.1 (I have already prepared my custom firmware) without upgrading to iTunes 9.
    iPhone 2G Pwned 3.1.2
    MBP OSX 10.6.3

use springback to backup springboard

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bambam724 For This Useful Post:

acsan44 (2009-09-18), marcoiac (2009-09-18)

Quote Originally Posted by bambam724 View Post
    use springback to backup springboard
    This is a good suggestion. However, you can't get some apps from the AppStore and then sync, because there would be a mismatch between your springback backup and your current app list. I guess the way to make this working with a jailbroken 3.1 and iTunes 9 is to ALWAYS get your AppStore apps with your iPhone, and backup with springback before each iTunes sync, and restore your springboard right after syncing. A bit of a pain, but much less pain than doing it manually!
    iPhone 2G Pwned 3.1.2
    MBP OSX 10.6.3

Quote Originally Posted by marcoiac View Post
    This is a good suggestion. However, you can't get some apps from the AppStore and then sync, because there would be a mismatch between your springback backup and your current app list. I guess the way to make this working with a jailbroken 3.1 and iTunes 9 is to ALWAYS get your AppStore apps with your iPhone, and backup with springback before each iTunes sync, and restore your springboard right after syncing. A bit of a pain, but much less pain than doing it manually!
    i think you can still just backup and the neww apps from the computer will go to the last page of your phone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

3. App Sync defaults to off. When I sync, I have to check the box to sync apps then go through and select all the app store apps I want to keep on my iPhone, then arrange them as I had them prior to sync (huge pain).
    This actually isn't true. I just synced my JB 3.1 2G (I got 5 dock icons, 5 rows & 5 columns) with iTunes 9 while reading through this. I didn't check the box to sync apps, I just left it unchecked. Still, 5 new apps (all of which I downloaded via iTunes)got synced to my iPhone. Since the bottom row on the 2nd page was empty, the 5 new apps got placed there. All other apps are still in the same order.

The only thing you'd have to check "sync apps" for is changing which apps you don't wanna sync to your iPhone although you have em in iTunes....

I have 5 icon dock installed, if you DO NOT use the app management on iTunes, you wont have a problem as it just backs up the plist file. Manipulation of the layout is where you have problems with more than 4x4 with 4 icons in dock.

I would like to add, for anyone having problems using 5-anything with itunes 9 and firmware 3.1, that the trick is to not click the app tab entirely. As soon as you view that tab, itunes will request that you apply changes, which then lead to either removing all your apps, or messing the order.

When I plug my iphone in, I click my device in the list, and click sync. I don't view any of the tabs. If I do and try to close the window, itunes asks me if I want to apply the changes, which I click no.

Not sure entirely why and how this works, but so far I can add new applications, as mentioned above, without messing my 5IRows layout.

I sure hope someone gets a way around this eventually, either provide an "old style" list of apps to sync and leave the layout alone, or hack a way to trick itunes into thinking more apps can be visible frmo each page than it is currently.

Thanks. Not clicking on the app tab worked for maintaining the 5 columns. BUT if you want to sync the apps, you do need to click on the check box then you'll lose the 5 column setting.
    Hope there is a solution...

Why you need to sync the apps? You manage another ipod/iphone with the same itunes? Because otherwise this works fine, all apps added to the iTunes library will get synced to your device without the need of the AppSync checkbox.

What if you add the app to your phone? Does it then add it to itunes when the applications tab is not checked?

I think this is what others are worried about. I will try it now ( I have 5 everything)

I just added an app on the phone...synced & went to applications in itunes. The new app appears in the list. so IF the list is from the computer you are set to go - but my guess is that is a list from the PHONE. WHich means that app is NOT on your computer in the case of breakage / loss etc. Someone above say the apps are backed up if you backup?

I for one will be backing up more often & not syncing apps unless there is a good reason - it would be too hard going back to 20 apps on each page as opposed to my 30.
    Last edited by ploth; 2009-10-16 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hi, I'm not sure what the problem is with the 5 column running on 3.1.

Mine is working fine on 3.1 with five columns, 4 rows and 20 icons/page. No problems with syncing or anything for that matter.

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem exaclty.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iTunes 9 not OS 3.1
    the problem isn't with iTunes 9 not with OS 3.1
    you also gotta have 5 everything to encounter those problems
    I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them. (George H. W. Bush)

Cool No Problems With App Sync on iTunes 9 with JB 3.1.2
    Downloaded iTunes 9 and pwned 3.1.2 with ra1n on my 3gs. Running Five-Column Spring with app sync unchecked, the app management shows the correct layout but reads "FCSB does not let you use this feature". Settings->Five-Column SB->Disabled (it appears to mess up the alignment, but fear not). Click the app sync checkbox and ominous message approval and App Management will work just fine. After the sync, the apps will be placed in the next available spot on the homescreen (with the standard top-left schema), then just enable FCSB and your alignment will be restored with new apps being added at the next available space following the pre-existing alignment (In my case, two blank rows on the first page).

On a side note: I respect Apple's persistence regarding the jailbreak issue with smarter iTunes and frequent firmware release but they can't stop a dedicated userbase from taking full advantage of the powerful hardware they've put in our hands

Firmware: 3.1.2 (7D11)
    Modem: 05.11.07
    Exploit: ra1n

yea i have the same problem.
    using iphone 2g on 3.1.2, itunes 9.
    have five rows and five dock.
    i dont sync apps and i didnt check the apps tab.
    when i sync-ed my itunes music, the apps got uninstalled!
    (i think its because the apps tab wasnt checked?)
    leaving a big mess on my springboard.

any way around that?