Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help with Mail/Gmail settings

Question Need help with Mail/Gmail settings
    I just today realized that when I delete a message on my phone, it gets moved to the Trash folder in Gmail. I do not want this to happen. So I did some research and set up my account under Other instead of just hitting the Gmail setup. Evidently this is supposed to move your messages to the All Mail folder when you delete them on your phone? I don't want this to happen either. I want my iPhone to handle my mail the way Outlook does on my computer - download the messages from Gmail and leave them on the server, untouched, in the Inbox and marked as Unread unless and until I go into Gmail through a browser and deal with the messages directly. Is it possible to have it set up this way on my iPhone or am I screwed?

Something else I'm not digging: Whenever I go into the Mail application, it automatically downloads messages until there's 25 in there (the least amount I can set it to). I have a lot of Unread messages in Gmail (and I want to keep it that way), so it ends up downloading the older, unread messages. And basically I don't want it to download the older messages until/unless I tell it to. There's only a few important emails I want to have access to from my iPhone and if that's only 8 then I only want to have 8 messages in my Inbox (on my phone). But it seems to feel some need to always have 25 in there, no matter what. Is there some way to fix this?

iPhone 3G 3.0.1

Thanks

Thanks

I did a work around - opened a 2nd Gmail account. To which the original Gmail copies incoming emails.
    I then set the original Gmail to "off" on the iPhone (and only use it for sending) and use the 2nd as incoming on the iPhone. Not too slick, but it does the job 4 me.
    That makes it possible to delete and still keep the emails on the original account.

I'm sure its just a matter of time before Gmail improves their iPhone support
    Do hope that helps

**uoʇʇnq sʞuɐɥʇ ǝɥʇ ʇıɥ puɐ puıʞ ǝq noʎ pǝdןǝɥ sɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos ɟı**