Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Aptbackup or PkgBackup?

Thanks

When doing a major firmware update on a jailbroken phone (i.e 1.X -> 2.X -> 3.X) then you should set up as new. Since some things in the jailbroken backup aren't compatible with the new firmware, it causes for some headaches such as battery drainage, etc.
    If the backup wasn't made when a phone was jailbroken then restoring from that backup should be fine. If it's a minor firmware update, (i.e 3.0->3.1 etc.) then restoring from backups shouldn't cause a problem.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

2. The Following User Says Thank You to angiepangie For This Useful Post:

twitchthecat (2009-10-13)

So guys what so I need to do to completely backup before using pwnagetool to go to 3.1.2?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guitarfreak26 View Post
    So guys what so I need to do to completely backup before using pwnagetool to go to 3.1.2?
    Read this

Always a good idea to restore as new as when you restore from backup, the chance for corrupted files to be carried over is always there. Ive never had good luck restoring from backup.

I just JB'd my iPhone 3G w/ BlackRa1n, installed Cydia, installed PkgBackup and then it restored all my apps, no corruption, no issues. EVERYTHING is working as it should. Just my experience...

I updated to 3.1.2 last night and Rock.app has a backup feature which worked pretty well for me. I know it's not really part of this discussion, but I wanted to let you all know it worked great!

Hmmm - I've always restored from backup since I got my iPhone 2G and I have always been jailbroken.

It does help to know how to clean up filesystem/etc issues if weird things happen e.g. Cydia has a bad flaw of not cleaning up old copies of /Applications (and others) it puts in the stash directory.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

Quote Originally Posted by NetMage View Post
    Hmmm - I've always restored from backup since I got my iPhone 2G and I have always been jailbroken.

It does help to know how to clean up filesystem/etc issues if weird things happen e.g. Cydia has a bad flaw of not cleaning up old copies of /Applications (and others) it puts in the stash directory.
    Under Applications folder then Cydia there's two folders for the apps most likely one is of the new files one of the old

I was wondering if anyone could help me. Where does pkgbackup read the info as to what jailbroken apps are installed? I have some apps that pkgbackup still reads as installed, even though i have removed them through cydia. TIA

iPhone? More like MyPhone spongebobiwan's Avatar
    Thanks

It creates a contact in Address Book on a MAC and stores the information there. The contact name is Pkg BackUp.

Illmatic: to clean up old apps from the pkgbackup backup, go to the pkgbackup contact entry on your iPhone and delete the whole notes field. Then just go and make a new backup with pkgbackup and sync with iTunes. Problem solved.

Edit: delete the entry on your pc/mac too before you sync the new backup with iTunes.
    Last edited by Cory Gillmore; 2009-10-24 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks for replies guys, but that didn't fix the issue. That only deleted my packages to restore which are now at 0 of 0. My problem is that it keeps posting 43 of 43 to backup when really, it should be 39 of 39. I have 4 apps that i have uninstalled a long time ago, but they are still listed as packages that are installed on the phone. I've found a plist that had the app names and deleted the entries from those lists, but I guess I haven't found the list where pkgbackup reads from.

There is a contact email address for the author. He responded very quickly when I asked a question.
    Try emailing him and let us know the answer if he replies!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by illmatic416 View Post
    Thanks for replies guys, but that didn't fix the issue. That only deleted my packages to restore which are now at 0 of 0. My problem is that it keeps posting 43 of 43 to backup when really, it should be 39 of 39. I have 4 apps that i have uninstalled a long time ago, but they are still listed as packages that are installed on the phone. I've found a plist that had the app names and deleted the entries from those lists, but I guess I haven't found the list where pkgbackup reads from.
    Go to the pkgbackup app and click on the backup button again. You have to do this everytime you uninstall/install a new app for it to update...
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    Go to the pkgbackup app and click on the backup button again. You have to do this everytime you uninstall/install a new app for it to update...
    I've done that. I've even uninstalled the pkgbackup and everything related that i could find for it. The apps i've uninstalled will always show up in the list of apps to backup. I have to manually deselect them so it will be 39 or 43 to backup. I guess i'm being anal about it, but it's annoying to have to deselect them and knowing they are there on that list when the apps have been uninstalled.

Like Confucious said, send the dev an email. I sent him one one time and he responded to it within 30 minutes. But to answer your question, pkgbackup reads it's info from the notes field in the contact entry it creates.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Gillmore View Post
    Like Confucious said, send the dev an email. I sent him one one time and he responded to it within 30 minutes. But to answer your question, pkgbackup reads it's info from the notes field in the contact entry it creates.
    I'll email him and ask. Pkgbackup reads the info on what to restore from your contacts, not what to backup. To backup it reads from a list of apps installed on your phone, probably a plists in preferences that i haven't been able to find yet.

So I bought pkg backup back when it was 2.99 and it works great. I saw an update today which includes an increase in price to 3.49 but it allowed me to upgrade since it shows I have already officially purchased the app.

Now when I open the app, it tells me I'm on limited functionality and I need to purchase it? Seriously?

I didn't see the price increase - am also on limited functionality which is not good as I need it now!
    I've emailed the author and not got a reply, this is not good when you upgrade. A backup package that doesn't restore when you need it too is no good.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

His changelog does have version 3.1.1 listed now, though yet to be released, as addressing the limited functionality issue. Oh well, time to practice patience.

Just noticed the same problem after upgrading. It has to be a bug. No way it's actually serious! Hopefully

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast