Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to use iFile to create canned reponse email with attachments!

Talking How to use iFile to create canned reponse email with attachments!
    Ok, I'm creating this cuz someone asked me for a how to on this, and I figured it'd be worthwile to share. first a small bit of background.

I'm a full time actor, it's what I do to make my living, (no, I'm not famous, yes you may have seen me on tv, I'm not here to talk about me. I'm boring.. This is way more interesting..) so I use the iphone to send out headshots and resumes in PDF forms 10-20 times a day. (I dedicated about 5 hours a day just looking for work...)

So first I created a custom HTML signature for my iphone by modifying the com.apple.mobilemail.plist to link my email, website, phone and demo reel right to any email coming out of my iphone. (if you wanna do this, just google "Custom HTML Sig iphone" and also search these forums, that's how I learned.)

Anyway, that wasn't good enough, and since I use iFile religiously, I decided to do a canned response email with my HS&Rez (headshot and resume)

Here's whatcha do..

install iFile from Cydia.

After installing open up iFile and navigate to /Applications/iFile.app/en.lproj/ and open up the file named Localizable.strings

it's pretty much in alphabetical order, so scroll down first to the part that reads:

"Emailing Attachments with iFile" = "Emailing Attachments with iFile";

At the top of the app you will see an "Edit" button, tap that and then edit the part in quotes AFTER the " = " sign so that it now reads something like mine:

"Emailing Attachments with iFile" = "Casting Submission";

This Changes the subject line of the email this is automatically formed when you email attachments thru iFile. You can change this manually if you want in the email, but I do alot of these so I leave it like this.

Now to change the body: Scroll down to the entry that reads:

"iPhone Attachments with iFile" = "iPhone Attachments with iFile";

Again edit the part in quotes AFTER the "=" sign.

So mine now looks like this:

"iphone Attachments with iFile" = "Hello! I'd like to submit myself for your project. Attached is my Headshot and Resume and links to my website and demo reel are at the bottom."

When done click the blue "Save" Button at the top and then click the big blue "Done" and then exit out of the app, and respring!

to test simply open up iFile. Navigate to the media you want to email, and then hit the "Edit" button at the top of the app, tap the item you wish to email, then tap the mail icon at the bottom of the screen (1 over from the right) and wallah! your mail app should open with the custom canned response you just created!

Enjoy!

Also remember, this app is great! It's worth giving the Dev a donation for it!
    Last edited by phreakwenci; 2009-07-08 at 06:47 AM.
    Don't forget to say THANKS!

J.D.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to phreakwenci For This Useful Post:

jet66 (2009-12-05)

Great info! I just started editing .strings with iFile, and stumbled across this post. It's definitely a great app, one well worth paying for.