Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Aptbackup makes phone crash

Default Aptbackup makes phone crash
    Ok so im on a 2g iphone 3.0 j/u. I did the aptbackup before restoring to 3.0 and then i did the redsnow, and then i did restore iphone on itunes. When i go to install aptback up now from cydia i have to install bosspreffs because i hid it with poof before i did the backup on aptbackup. After i install boss preffs and unpoof aptbackup i run a restore in it. It does its thing and then it reboots, and when it comes back on its the apple logo and then the circle of death, after a couple of mins it reboots and does the same thing again. Its reconigized by my comp and by itunes. What can i do to fix this problem.
    Thanks.

Im going to restore it in 3.0 again, but how can i use aptbackup without it making my phone do this again?(happened 2 times so far)
    Last edited by kaminsk; 2009-07-04 at 02:24 AM.

Thanks

I don't think AptBackup runs in 3.0 yet. Also, SBSettings has replaced BossPrefs. There aren't any more updates for BossPrefs.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

It crashes, probably because you have stuff in your backup list, that doesn't run on 3.0 yet.

So here's what you do:
    1. Restore and jailbreak again
    2. Restore your iTunes backup to your phone
    3. Install open SSH and navigate to var/mobile/library/Preferences and copy the file aptbackup_dpkg-packages.txt to your desktop. It's a list of all your previous packages. (you could also just use diskaid for this)

Points 4 & 5 is something I strongly recommend you to do, from my own experience and from what I read from trustworthy people like BigBoss, restoring from iTunes backup after a firmware upgrade mostly creates lots of problems (!!!).

4. Restore & jailbreak again
    5. Set your phone up as a new phone

6. Use the APT Backup file to manually install your stuff through Cydia You might wanna check a few threads on this board for apps & extensions, that are confirmed not working yet on 3.0. Save yourself some trouble and don't experiment

Edit:
    And yeah, use SBSettings!
    Last edited by Enkidu; 2009-07-05 at 03:06 PM. Reason: add something

Thanks

I used APTBackup once when I restored on 2.2.1 and found that because of the order and/or method in which it reinstalls apps I had a bit of tweaking to get everything to work- fixing some file ownership and permissions issues. Being a seasoned user it was easy enough to find and fix those. With 3.0 Id do it manually the first time.

iPhone? More like MyPhone spongebobiwan's Avatar
    Thanks

One more thing I'll add to this already very helpful thread, along with enkidu's really good guide, and scoop98's post that aptbackup isn't yet 3.0 friendly, etc, is the following:

I personally never had any problem with this program, but I recall from many earlier posts that a lot of people did have problems with it crashing their iPhones. It seems that if they installed this program AFTER they had already installed 1 or more other programs from Cydia, is when they encountered problems with this app crashing their phones. Apparently, this program required that it be the first program installed, prior to other Cydia programs being installed, to insure a clean installation that would not cause complications.

My 2 cents

EDIT: When I state "..prior to other Cydia programs being installed..", I am referring to programs (obviously) that AptBackup would be backing up and then later restoring.
    Last edited by spongebobiwan; 2009-07-05 at 04:43 PM. Reason: minor clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    It crashes, probably because you have stuff in your backup list, that doesn't run on 3.0 yet.

So here's what you do:
    1. Restore and jailbreak again
    2. Restore your iTunes backup to your phone
    3. Install open SSH and navigate to var/mobile/library/Preferences and copy the file aptbackup_dpkg-packages.txt to your desktop. It's a list of all your previous packages. (you could also just use diskaid for this)

Points 4 & 5 is something I strongly recommend you to do, from my own experience and from what I read from trustworthy people like BigBoss, restoring from iTunes backup after a firmware upgrade mostly creates lots of problems (!!!).

4. Restore & jailbreak again
    5. Set your phone up as a new phone

6. Use the APT Backup file to manually install your stuff through Cydia You might wanna check a few threads on this board for apps & extensions, that are confirmed not working yet on 3.0. Save yourself some trouble and don't experiment

Edit:
    And yeah, use SBSettings!
    what do you mean use aptbackup file to MANUALLY install the stuff? do you mean just going into the text file and delete the stuff you think wouldn't work on 3.0 then hit restore??

btw what is sbs settings and what does it do?

restoring takes forever irregardless of previous backup or just a factory reset (this also includes itune apps) i say try to install itunes apps then try to use appbackup and as for aptbackup forget it, redownload the cydia apps manually

and hopefully if you need to rejailbreak in the future you've learnt the process for aptbackup to do it with bricking it