Results 1 to 20 of 20

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: So whats with Caterpillar?

  1. #1
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Palm Bay, FL
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 32 Times in 15 Posts

    Default So whats with Caterpillar?
    I'm not here to complain or anything, I'm just really curious:

    What do the Caterpillar devs have that other iPhone/iPod Touch app makers don't have? I am completely puzzled as to why Caterpillar can make 5 icon dock AND reflective dock icons work on 1.1.3/4. Do they have some special tools or something? This is just baffling me and I am confused as to why nobody else can do this xD.

    Thanks,
    KoNeko

  2. #2
    can't customize put 5 icon docks?

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Palm Bay, FL
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 32 Times in 15 Posts

    Nope, as of 1.1.3/4, this feature is broken =\ so far, only Caterpillar can do it...its so strange...not worth shelling out $45 for one little feature.

  4. #4
    Good question. I am waiting patiently for Customize to do what it purports to.

  5. #5
    Apple completely changed the method and location of storing the icon layout starting with firmware 1.1.3. My guess is that it's going to take a Springboard or Summerboard hack to allow 5 icons in the Dock. That's how Caterpillar accomplishes this.

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    sd
    Posts
    1,084
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 99 Times in 79 Posts

    i still see no reason to update from 1.1.2 lol

  7. #7
    lol they are apple
    they just wanna make u believe that they are 3d party but thats not true
    they can because they are apple^^
    and because they are apple its expensive^^

  8. #8
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Newport News, VA
    Posts
    493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 39 Times in 35 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by KoNeko View Post
    Nope, as of 1.1.3/4, this feature is broken = so far, only Caterpillar can do it...its so strange...not worth shelling out $45 for one little feature.
    You say $45 for one little feature, and most will say this is the only feature they will used.... I can gurantee you, every single person will use every single feature if they paid for it or even if it was free. The application is worth the money, and by far one of the best, get it for the 2 day trial, and you would understand where Im comming from.

    Its not about one specific feature, you will end up using them all. Though some features are available for free, some of those dont allow such intergration like some that Caterpillar does.

    BTW: I personally would shell out the $45 for Caterpillar for I would spend the money on PhotoDial or CameraPro or most Apps out there requiring payment because of the features and support that is offered. Though I believe the zoom in CameraPro is all I would need, but all the other features I am sure I would use and I would pay for each of these applications because one I believe in supporting them, and two they provide features that are not readily available by apple themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by smirkis View Post
    i still see no reason to update from 1.1.2 lol
    I can dig it...
    Last edited by SiLeNtKiLLa; 2008-03-13 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    - iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.
    - iPod Touch - UnJailBroken
    - XBOX 360 - Modded Firmware - XBL (my s/n)
    - XBOX - Software Modded - XBMC
    - Dell Inspiron 1521 - [B]Vista Ultimate and
    running Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.4 (YES! Mac OS on an Dell PC)

  9. #9
    Customize will provide loads of features within the upcoming weeks. THey have the SDK to work with, and will be providing an update. Just sit and be patient people. I pay for items that I use, FaceLift (AKA SummerBoard) is not a needed app to pay for when Summerboard is/has been released for free. Also, many community hackers have found small system files to alter to enable Auto Dock, and 5 Icon Dock, so why wouldn't they implement that as a free feature? I understand the privacy SMS and Calendar functions to be paid for (They are the first to accomplish), but asking for payment to something so small is just ridiculous. Sigh.

    Reako

  10. #10
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    720
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by KoNeko View Post
    I'm not here to complain or anything, I'm just really curious:

    What do the Caterpillar devs have that other iPhone/iPod Touch app makers don't have? I am completely puzzled as to why Caterpillar can make 5 icon dock AND reflective dock icons work on 1.1.3/4. Do they have some special tools or something? This is just baffling me and I am confused as to why nobody else can do this xD.

    Thanks,
    KoNeko

    I have stayed up late many a nights trying to figure this out......how can one group have exclusive access to the 5 dock mod.....surely this can't be that complicated....but I'd love to have it on 1.1.4. I'm just not comfortable paying $45 for an app that may not work on future firmwares....But it is very very very cool!!

  11. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,533
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 136 Times in 95 Posts

    Why cant someone download the 2-day trial version, SSH into their phone and put the app on their comp, find out what it does to make the 5-icon dock work, and just make their own thats free?
    iLive an iLife

  12. #12
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Newport News, VA
    Posts
    493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 39 Times in 35 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Reako View Post
    Customize will provide loads of features within the upcoming weeks. THey have the SDK to work with, and will be providing an update. Just sit and be patient people. I pay for items that I use, FaceLift (AKA SummerBoard) is not a needed app to pay for when Summerboard is/has been released for free. Also, many community hackers have found small system files to alter to enable Auto Dock, and 5 Icon Dock, so why wouldn't they implement that as a free feature? I understand the privacy SMS and Calendar functions to be paid for (They are the first to accomplish), but asking for payment to something so small is just ridiculous. Sigh.

    Reako
    I actually thought the same thing about FaceLift, completely useless..... until about 10 mins ago while messing with FaceLift on my device, and actually it is a pretty useful part of the app compared to SummerBoard.

    Advantage - Facelift allows you to select any picture on your device as your springboard b/g and different on lock screen.... With facelift, it loads the actual app that allows you to size the image like how you do to set a wallpaper, but for the springboard instead, which is pretty sweet for the fact that in order to use a different image on your springboard it either has to be copied to your device in the theme folder and labled as wallpaper, or having same image on lock screen and springboard, or just using supplied wallpaper with theme.

    Disadvantage - Doesnt have dim feature like SummerBoard, so some walpapers may make it hard to see your apps on screen or the name of the app.

    If summerboard allowed the feature to select an pic for springboard diff from lock screen or having to use supplied wallpaper that came with theme without having to manualy place it in the correct location, and not being able to resize the image to your liking on the springboard as you can for a wallpaper on the lock screen, the YES... Facelift will become useless, but with this simple feature, it has much more of an advantage to me.

    I know some will say, thats not worth 45 beans, your right, but your not paying 45 just for that feature, there are others available within the app. I should really be an advertiser for this app, lol, I speak more highly of it than the developers, and Im not getting paid from it, hell I guess thats a part of networking.
    - iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.
    - iPod Touch - UnJailBroken
    - XBOX 360 - Modded Firmware - XBL (my s/n)
    - XBOX - Software Modded - XBMC
    - Dell Inspiron 1521 - [B]Vista Ultimate and
    running Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.4 (YES! Mac OS on an Dell PC)

  13. #13
    What I want to know is how they have enabled the highlighting/opaque background around icon text on springboard. I have a mostly white theme and it's impossible to see. Anyone know?

  14. #14
    You make themes for a reason. When you compile a theme, you pick a specific Wallpaper that entices the theme. It takes two seconds to change a Wallpaper.png in the Summerboard Themes Category when you get home (Considering most of you will/do eventually crawl to your computer to update music and pray for new things to be discovered.) The fact that FaceLift can individually change my Springboard Wallpaper on the go and keep my icons most certainly does not equal $45. It's certainly a waste of money. They are simple implementing previously found modifications into a single application, (Even though they are exclusively the only ones making this available for the newer firmwares) and smacking a price tag on it. Waste of Money. I'd rather sit back and wait for SPicyChicken to update Customize for free, or pay for the App for a SMALL fee, when the AppStore FW is released. Caterpillar is ridiculous, and over rated.

    Reako

  15. #15
    I installed caterpillar a few days ago, added my 5 dock, added the vibration on keypad feature, auto dialer, and private sms as well as the reminder. Uninstalled caterpillar 10 mins later, WITHOUT disabling the features, and i still have all the features without the program. Meaning im on 3, going on 4 days with no nagging to buy the software :-)

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by exo128 View Post
    I installed caterpillar a few days ago, added my 5 dock, added the vibration on keypad feature, auto dialer, and private sms as well as the reminder. Uninstalled caterpillar 10 mins later, WITHOUT disabling the features, and i still have all the features without the program. Meaning im on 3, going on 4 days with no nagging to buy the software :-)
    I did the same thing except only for the 5 icon dock. After the two days the dock disappeared.

  17. #17
    Livin the iPhone Life Apple iPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,113
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked 152 Times in 129 Posts

    I acctually know RipDev,they are my freinds,they are ready for an UPDATE so you would be better ready for a REAL update.....

  18. #18
    Default Reflective/5 Icon Dock Without Caterpillar...FREE
    Quote Originally Posted by ripped53 View Post
    I have stayed up late many a nights trying to figure this out......how can one group have exclusive access to the 5 dock mod.....surely this can't be that complicated....but I'd love to have it on 1.1.4. I'm just not comfortable paying $45 for an app that may not work on future firmwares....But it is very very very cool!!

    Quote Originally Posted by dh96 View Post
    A 5-icon dock would be awesome. Caterpillar currently does it, however it is overly expensive. Can't this be reproduced?

    I made a guide to doing this on this thread.

  19. #19
    Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Liberty City
    Posts
    1,292
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 205 Times in 117 Posts

    hmm would it be possible to install it get what you want uninstall ssh and remove the settings so then it would stay
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

  20. #20
    that seems like it should work, but i doubt anyone is going to try it. its almost june15th you know.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •