Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sad iPhone pandemic - is ireal to blame?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Sad iPhone pandemic - is ireal to blame?
    either both my iphone's have contracted swine flu or an app is causing them both to crash to safe mode repeatedly. i'm running 2.2 on one of them and 2.1 on the other. the only other difference is that the 2.2 device is running ireal beta and the 2.1 is using the latest non-beta version of ireal. most of the time i have over 30mb of avail ram on both devices. sometimes receiving or sending a text will crash them, other times just receiving a phone call will cause them to crash.

on the device running ireal beta, i get a text that has an exclamation point as the subject and a date of 12/6/69. on the 2.1 device there is no weird message, the phone just crashes.

the phones have minimal extensions loaded, sbsettings and winterboard basically.

anybody else's phone have the swine flu? i know i'm tired of the thing crashing so often. it happens at least 3x a day and started doing this last week. thanks for any help or advice

Why dont you uninstall iReal for a day or two and see if the problem persists.

I have been running iReal for quite some time and have never had an issue.

The latest beta has a memory leak which may cause a safe mode crash after continued use, but we believe we have fixed that and should be releasing a new beta soon. You can always go back to 2.0.8.3...or even 2.0.8.1 if you like. Those 2 didnt have safe mode complaints.

Thanks

that's the funny part. i'm running 2.0.8.1 on one of my phones and that phone is crashing as well. i don't want to sound like i'm blaming ireal, but the phone seems to crash when a new sms is received or sent. that phone is not crashing as much as the one with ireal beta. also, when the phone with 2.0.8.1 crashes there is no exclamation point sms like with ireal beta.

i've disabled ireal on one of the phones and have set the beta to not run in the background on the other. hopefully this problem has nothing to do with ireal as it is honestly my favorite app. i'll post an update in a day or so....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I have safe mode issues even just using QuickReply only. I'd say it happens a couple times a day and I always start with 30MB+ free.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I have safe mode issues even just using QuickReply only. I'd say it happens a couple times a day and I always start with 30MB+ free.
    Same. I've been meaning to make this thread for a while. Just never got around to it. My iPhone crashes a few times a day after the new beta of iRealSMS but not before. Sometimes it'll crash when I get a new text and try to unlock my phone. Sometimes it will crash when I'm using Safari and I get a text. Sometimes it'll crash when I'm reading a text. And sometimes, it'll just crash.

Also, every now and then, I guess QuickReply will get messed up and not show up any more. My phone will be off and someone texts me. I read the message on the lock screen and when I unlock it, I see the Text app with a 1 badge on it but the app doesn't open and there's no QuickReply. So I have to go into the iRealSMS app and turn QuickReply off and then turn it back on to get it working again. I hope that's fixed soon.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Well, if anyone's wants to try....Im using 2.0.8.3 with no issues at all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    Also, every now and then, I guess QuickReply will get messed up and not show up any more. My phone will be off and someone texts me. I read the message on the lock screen and when I unlock it, I see the Text app with a 1 badge on it but the app doesn't open and there's no QuickReply.
    x2

irealquicksms is making my phone crash too, about 3-4 times a day

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Well, if anyone's wants to try....Im using 2.0.8.3 with no issues at all.
    I need the Return button on the keyboard. Sometimes I push it on accident and I like to just backspace. With Send there (all older versions) I send an unfinished SMS usually when I'm trying to delete text I didn't want to send. It became a problem.

But you know iRealSMS must be good when people are willing to have their iPhone crash several times a day to use it.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Thanks

well, its been a full day since I've had a sad iPhone. maybe ireal or quicksms/reply didn't like the orbz theme. after i disabled that i was still having issues. i did a reboot and turned of the backgrounding feature of ireal and its been smooth sailing. i've made a point to text as much as possible using both the app and the quick feature and haven't had a problem.

i'm still using the beta version of ireal too. anybody else willing to disable their themes to see if that is what's creating the issue?

A new beta has been added to our beta repo.
    iRealSMS 2.0.8.4d
    Try that! It should plug up the memory leaks pretty good. Although not entirely... its the nature of the beast that QuickReply will leak a little bit of springboard memory. Even our competitors can vouch for that. We think we have programmed it in a way to bring it down to a minimum now which should help against safe mode crashes.

Although I do want to add that running iRealSMS main app with the background feature turned ON, will drain a lot of springboard memory over prolonged use. So I dont really think it is worth the second or 2 loading time that you save by running it in the background... my suggestion is to turn it OFF.

So there you go! Have fun with that one... and this beta is ONLY to address the memory leak.. and a few security flaws... no new features added in this one.