View Poll Results: Summerboard or iSwitcher???

Voters
477. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summerboard

356 74.63%
  • iSwitch

21 4.40%
  • I use both

100 20.96%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Summerboard or iSwitcher

Question Summerboard or iSwitcher
    Can someone PLEASE tell me the difference between these two apps? also please let me know your thoughts on the two and why you use the one you do.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is not an either/or proposition. I use both, and need both because I have some apps I want text names for and some I don't, and the way SB changes icons is by the displayed app name (not actual app name, like iSwitcher). So, for swapping icons I use iSwitcher, for everything else (backgrounds, etc) I use SummerBoard - it's faster.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I just use SummerBoard, and SSH to do stuff manually.

iSwitcher was a great idea, but the integration of all the summerboard features and how quickly you can change apps with it, i don't see the need for iSwitcher at all sorry greg no hard feelings
    Hit Thanks!

No worries... I too thought iSwitcher was dust after using SummerBoard 2.1... but now I find myself using it more... Let's say you want a Leopard theme with Prado icons. Can't do that with just SummerBoard (until someone releases the 64,000 theme combinations it would take ) but you can do it with both SummerBoard and iSwitcher. Load the icons with iSwitcher and set the theme to Leopard in SummerBoard (if the SummerBoard theme has icons, turn them off to see the iSwitcher icons).

What if you want a custom dock, the iTouch icons (iSwitcher theme) and the Panther theme? Well then you need to use, iSwitcher, SummerBoard and DockSwap...

My personal favorite is my Earthlight SummerBoard theme (no icons) with blueStone... or wait maybe it's Prado iSwitcher w/Woodpanel SummerBoard theme
    Last edited by CyberGreg; 2007-09-19 at 07:23 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CyberGreg For This Useful Post:

uPhone559 (2007-09-19)

never thought about it like that, lemme give it another try!
    Hit Thanks!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

ya but greg all you got to do is dump all those icons or docks in a folder on your iphone. Then use finder to copy or move the icons into a new themes folder you can create with finder, a lot of possibilities

Thanks

I use both also. Perfect harmony

Quote Originally Posted by .:MirrorminD:. View Post
    ya but greg all you got to do is dump all those icons or docks in a folder on your iphone. Then use finder to copy or move the icons into a new themes folder you can create with finder, a lot of possibilities
    Indeed as I said, if you want 64,000 SummerBoard themes, go for it. I prefer to use both and have a huge combination to choose from and not have a "15 flick page" of SummerBoard themes. To use three different docks with the same iconsets, you'd need three separate SummerBoard themes..

I just need three docks and can use them with any icon set I want.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGreg View Post
    Indeed as I said, if you want 64,000 SummerBoard themes, go for it. I prefer to use both and have a huge combination to choose from and not have a "15 flick page" of SummerBoard themes. To use three different docks with the same iconsets, you'd need three separate SummerBoard themes..

I just need three docks and can use them with any icon set I want.
    Touche

Thanks

I think these are both great apps but what works for me is using iLauncher + iSwap + iSwitcher all together. Theses apps can also be easily customized to fit your needs & they have really helped me to stay organized.

My Theme page always contains the iLauncher.
    I select the iLauncher which brings me to the scrolling Dock that only contains only 3 iSwap apps Screens (Apps - Games - Utilities) + iSwitcher.

Now if I want a page with just Apps, I pick Apps Screen icon from my iLauncher Dock or if I want just Games I pick the Games Screen icon from my iLauncher Dock.

And so what is cool is I keep the same Dock for each screen i'm on so I can easly go back to Home - Apps - Games - Utilities or iSwitcher when I want to change my Theme.

I found that this keeps me organized as much as possible due to the many great apps that keep coming out each day.

Quote Originally Posted by y0haan View Post
    I think these are both great apps but what works for me is using iLauncher + iSwap + iSwitcher all together. Theses apps can also be easily customized to fit your needs & they have really helped me to stay organized.

My Theme page always contains the iLauncher.
    I select the iLauncher which brings me to the scrolling Dock that only contains only 3 iSwap apps Screens (Apps - Games - Utilities) + iSwitcher.
    YES Now that's why iLauncher was created - very nice! I mean if you just use it to replace Launcher, why, it's slower. But you can customize iLauncher to only show the app you want. Nice, I knew I wasn't the only one that wanted this feature

Sorry... back on topic.

One more thing iSwitcher does, or rather doesn't do... it won't ever fsck up your phone. I can not say the same about SummerBoard. I've restored many times to test my apps and while you can break iSwitcher and it won't swap icons, your phone still works just fine. Just last night, working on a problem with Breezy. Restored, got all my mods back installed (2 clicks, more on that later ) I went to Installer and loaded BSD, Dock and SummerBoard. Restarted my phone and got the WBOD (White Blinds of Death). This is now the third time I've seen this problem and I can tell you the first time was when I uninstalled SummerBoard 1.2 or 1.3

Let's say you want a Leopard theme with Prado icons. Can't do that with just SummerBoard (until someone releases the 64,000 theme combinations it would take ) but you can do it with both SummerBoard and iSwitcher. Load the icons with iSwitcher and set the theme to Leopard in SummerBoard (if the SummerBoard theme has icons, turn them off to see the iSwitcher icons).
    I'd like it if iSwitcher did all the theme stuff and Summerboard allowed you to customize everything individually rather than turning stuff on/off.

So you'd load your favorite theme using iSwitcher (I love how you can preview them). Then, in Summerboard, you could choose a different wallpaper or icon set or whatever. That way, you could create any combination you wanted.

It would also be cool if you could save a configuration you liked as a new theme.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopz View Post
    So you'd load your favorite theme using iSwitcher (I love how you can preview them).
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by hoopz View Post

It would also be cool if you could save a configuration you liked as a new theme.
    iSwitcher installs the capability to create iSwitcher themes from your current configuration. It's a command line utility, MakeTheme (for now )

never got to use iswitcher... i never saw it on installer...and never fiqured out how to add apps manually threw jailbreak =[ so im stuck with the themes that come out threw installer...lol
    [CENTER] Honda-Tech FTW

Quote Originally Posted by McGeeTM View Post
    never got to use iswitcher... i never saw it on installer...and never fiqured out how to add apps manually threw jailbreak =[ so im stuck with the themes that come out threw installer...lol
    Breezy / iBrickr are not manual installs

Exclamation use symlinks to share iconsets between themes
    if you have ssh installed on your iphone, you can easily share an iconset amongst all summerboard themes. to do so:

1. upload your preferred icons to a default theme. this default could be your favorite theme, or apple's original theme - what matters is you create a directory inside this theme with all your icons inside it.
    2. in all of the themes that you wish to use these icons, create a symlink of your default iconset inside each theme folder.

works like a charm.

note: you can also use symlinks to mirror docks and other imagery.

why don't you guys work togther and merge the best of the 3 together?
    i love the 3, but i see that sometimes they don't work well toghther. would be easier for everyone to merge the three...

So what does 22% look like?

In just 46 hours since I released iSwitcher v1.3, there have been 250 pxl downloads and 615 Installer installs.
    ThemePak1.1, 1036 Installer downloads and ThemePak2.0, 790 Installer downloads, 553 pxl downloads.

I realize this pales in comparison to the (many) thousands of SummerBoard installs, regardless; I couldn't be happier.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGreg View Post
    So what does 22% look like?

In just 46 hours since I released iSwitcher v1.3, there have been 250 pxl downloads and 615 Installer installs.
    ThemePak1.1, 1036 Installer downloads and ThemePak2.0, 790 Installer downloads, 553 pxl downloads.

I realize this pales in comparison to the (many) thousands of SummerBoard installs, regardless; I couldn't be happier.
    dont worry man i still love u...and anyways iswitcher is better i have both abut i i ahd to choose it would be iswitcher

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast