View Poll Results: Summerboard or iSwitcher???

Voters
477. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summerboard

    356 74.63%
  • iSwitch

    21 4.40%
  • I use both

    100 20.96%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 73

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Summerboard or iSwitcher

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by easyb View Post
    .... Replace(d) the "LocalizedApplicationNames.strings" file with a fresh copy off of this website and all works great now....

    -B
    I'm just glad you got it fixed and working.

  2. #42
    I installed the new iswitcher. tested it out. and then it really screwed me up!

    all of my dock icons except for the installer were raised up awkwardly. so that they were half covering the bottom icons and left a big gap in the bottom. I was tinkering with it all day before finally figuring it out.

    first iswitcher disappeared on me. I uninstalled all the packs, but then installer wouldn't let me uninstall iswitcher. and iswitcher's icon disappeared. it showed up in finder as a question mark and wouldn't launch... finally installer let me uninstall it. but then wouldnt let me reinstall it. waiting waiting.. finally let me install it. downloaded the iphone theme from iswitcher. fixed my icon alignment. uninstalled once more. and was back to good .

    I don't think I'll ever use this program again... I don't really understand it that well.. but summerboard suits all of my themeing needs for now!

  3. #43
    Default Summerboard freeze
    Has anyone else had summerboard freeze their iphone? Every now and then (maybe every other day) I will turn on my phone, unloick it, the icons and background appear, then disappear and there is just black (I think the status bar is still there). I can press anywhere on the screen and nothing. I can turn it on and off, and the lock screen still appears, but nothing else until I fully power it down and turn it on again. Then it is good to go to the next time. I finally uninstalled summerboard because of this, and no more lockups.

    Have not tried iSwitcher, but I am going to now.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by jujubeanser View Post
    I installed the new iswitcher. tested it out. and then it really screwed me up!

    all of my dock icons except for the installer were raised up awkwardly. so that they were half covering the bottom icons and left a big gap in the bottom. I was tinkering with it all day before finally figuring it out.
    That was not iSwitcher's fault, it was the theme you installed. I can't control all of the themes, only the ones I release

    first iswitcher disappeared on me. I uninstalled all the packs, but then installer wouldn't let me uninstall iswitcher. and iswitcher's icon disappeared. it showed up in finder as a question mark and wouldn't launch... finally installer let me uninstall it. but then wouldnt let me reinstall it. waiting waiting.. finally let me install it. downloaded the iphone theme from iswitcher. fixed my icon alignment. uninstalled once more. and was back to good .
    I'm glad you got everything back to normal.

    I don't think I'll ever use this program again... I don't really understand it that well.. but summerboard suits all of my themeing needs for now!
    n/p

    Quote Originally Posted by asfrank16 View Post
    Has anyone else had summerboard freeze their iphone? Every now and then (maybe every other day) I will turn on my phone, unloick it, the icons and background appear, then disappear and there is just black (I think the status bar is still there). I can press anywhere on the screen and nothing. I can turn it on and off, and the lock screen still appears, but nothing else until I fully power it down and turn it on again. Then it is good to go to the next time. I finally uninstalled summerboard because of this, and no more lockups.

    Have not tried iSwitcher, but I am going to now.
    iSwitcher does not cause lockups / freezes, once it finishes loading the icons the program terminates.
    Last edited by CyberGreg; 2007-10-08 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  5. #45
    Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Welcome to Jamrock
    Posts
    1,336
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 62 Times in 61 Posts

    I'm using both now just awesome
     Think Different

  6. #46
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    126
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    were cani get iswicther can find in app installer.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by atm_10142k View Post
    were cani get iswicther can find in app installer.
    Upgrade to Installer app 3.0 and follow THESE INSTRUCTIONS to add my source.

  8. #48
    I was a summerboard user but ever since 1.1.1 and the new alpha release i've had nothing but crashes. So im using iswitcher for now. No problems yet

  9. #49
    Default iswitcher vs summerboard
    i like iswitcher for pretty much one reason, you can see the theme before you install it. But it takes f'in for ever to load i mean with summerboard granted you cant see them before they load, but they load in like a millisecond by the time i hit the home screen its up and running, new icons, new wallpaper.

    i would just like some one to tell me how to make iswitcher faster then i would probably only use iswitcher thats the only reason i even use summerboard for themes

    speed lol i need speed to slooowww!!!!

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by denigro153 View Post
    i like iswitcher for pretty much one reason, you can see the theme before you install it. But it takes f'in for ever to load i mean with summerboard granted you cant see them before they load, but they load in like a millisecond by the time i hit the home screen its up and running, new icons, new wallpaper.

    i would just like some one to tell me how to make iswitcher faster then i would probably only use iswitcher thats the only reason i even use summerboard for themes

    speed lol i need speed to slooowww!!!!
    I hear yah and I wish I could speed it up. Please know that the decrease in speed is directly related to SummerBoard alpha, so once they release an update, hopefully a beta it should not be such a drain on the iPhones resources.

    Install times, without SummerBoard, 6 to 15 seconds.
    Install times with SummerBoard, 20 to 35 seconds.

    There are other factors too, if you have 42 apps installed your times will be longer and if you only have say 26 apps installed, your times will be shorter.



    Edit: oh and don't think for a minute that I haven't tried everything imaginable on the 1.1.1 firmware to get the friggin' wallpaper to display without SummerBoard but so far... nothing...

  11. #51
    personally, i like to use both summerboard and iswitcher.
    this allows me to get the dock and background i want from summerboard, but the icons i want with iswitcher.
    works great for me...just my .02

  12. #52
    Question:

    When I watch online videos of people using SummerBoard and when the scroll though the apps they scroll up or down. When I installed SummerBoard it has me scrolling Left and Right??? Can anyone tell me how to change this please. I'd prefer UP or DOWN.

    Thanks for your time in advance.

    Damon

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad707 View Post
    Question:

    When I watch online videos of people using SummerBoard and when the scroll though the apps they scroll up or down. When I installed SummerBoard it has me scrolling Left and Right??? Can anyone tell me how to change this please. I'd prefer UP or DOWN.

    Thanks for your time in advance.

    Damon
    With firmware 1.0.2 (anything pre-1.1.1) SummerBoard scrolls up and down
    With firmware 1.1.1 and a "patched" SpringBoard we have left - right panels (not really scrolling is it?)
    I've read that if you remove the "patch" from SpringBoard you can get up and down scrolling back, don't know, haven't done it, won't try it because I prefer the left right panels.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberGreg View Post
    No worries... I too thought iSwitcher was dust after using SummerBoard 2.1... but now I find myself using it more... Let's say you want a Leopard theme with Prado icons. Can't do that with just SummerBoard (until someone releases the 64,000 theme combinations it would take ) but you can do it with both SummerBoard and iSwitcher. Load the icons with iSwitcher and set the theme to Leopard in SummerBoard (if the SummerBoard theme has icons, turn them off to see the iSwitcher icons).

    What if you want a custom dock, the iTouch icons (iSwitcher theme) and the Panther theme? Well then you need to use, iSwitcher, SummerBoard and DockSwap...


    My personal favorite is my Earthlight SummerBoard theme (no icons) with blueStone... or wait maybe it's Prado iSwitcher w/Woodpanel SummerBoard theme
    I just started using your iSwitcher app and love it...I know you just released a new version (I'm still on 1.60a). The last couple of days I have been playing around with the "LoadTheme" file and found that with very little effort in the way of adding additional script you can have iSwitcher be a true Theme installer.

    With one touch I can change the following for each of my themes:

    Icons
    Dock
    Wallpaper
    LockBackground
    Carrier Logos
    Weather Backgrounds
    BarDialer_Sel
    SpringBoard.string (use to change slider text)
    Display Order
    LocalizedApplicationNames (use to change app display names)

    I stopped here, because basically this is all I ever change...


    Greg you made an awsome app that I think is being under utilized...let me know if you want a copy of the modified file. And thanks again for a GREAT APP!
    Last edited by Imagine09; 2007-11-16 at 02:12 AM.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Imagine09 For This Useful Post:

    CyberGreg (2007-11-16)

  16. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine09 View Post
    I just started using your iSwitcher app and love it...I know you just released a new version (I'm still on 1.60a). The last couple of days I have been playing around with the "LoadTheme" file and found that with very little effort in the way of adding additional script you can have iSwitcher be a true Theme installer.

    With one touch I can change the following for each of my themes:

    Icons
    Dock
    Wallpaper
    LockBackground
    Carrier Logos
    Weather Backgrounds
    BarDialer_Sel
    SpringBoard.string (use to change slider text)
    Display Order
    LocalizedApplicationNames (use to change app display names)

    I stopped here, because basically this is all I ever change...


    Greg you made an awsome app that I think is being under utilized...let me know if you want a copy of the modified file. And thanks again for a GREAT APP!
    DUDE

    That is flippin AWESOME! THAT is exactly WHY I made iSwitcher so creative people could customize it and make it work for them - CONGRATS!!!!!

    Great job!

  17. #56
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ashland, Kentucky
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    How about stability on 1.1.2, Greg?

  18. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by N4cer View Post
    How about stability on 1.1.2, Greg?
    I'm using it fine on my 1.1.2 phone and until there's some drastic file system change, iSwitcher will continue to work fine on 1.1.3, .4, .5, etc..

    Seems that there's this misconception about iSwitcher. It's really just another iPhone application and there's no way it can "ruin" or "brick" your phone.

    SummerBoard is not an iPhone application, it adds another layer on top of SpringBoard. SummerBoard is a framework, kind of like a Windows dll or Mac kext extension so for all it's cool features and functionality there's a price to pay in both stability and speed and also in terms of reliability. Nothing demonstrates this better than when you compare the time it takes iSwitcher to copy icons; with and without SummerBoard running. My last check it was around 28 seconds with SummerBoard and 12 seconds without SummerBoard. The iPhone doesn't have as much resources available when it's running SummerBoard.

    Now with all that said, I still am using SummerBoard, pretty much just for the flippin' background...

  19. #58
    yea summerboard should also have a preview that would make things a million times easier =)

  20. #59
    Is it through summerboard that one can make the dock icons smaller?

    I believe I had that option once but it is no longer available.

    Does anyone know how i can do that now?

  21. #60
    I prefer summerboard it just seems more smooth up to date

    ****Future updates****
    Combine customize and summerboard

    would be ultimate program interface

    nice idea would to have many icons loaded from our pcs and packages to load wich icons you want for what prgram you might like instead of ones pre-designed

    Plz take into consideration of how sweet SummerBoard-Customize would be )

    my two cents

    _-SINISTER-_

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •