Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone running SLOW!!!

Default iPhone running SLOW!!!
    Hi, im fairly new to this site, i've had my iphone for awhile and its jailbroken i have Cydia and installer. Now its great that you can customize this phone so much, and all i have done was install wallpapers some sounds through cydia, but now the problem is it runs so slow. I go to type on a web page in the text box and it types 1 letter every 3 seconds sometimes. And yes i do restart my phone and i let the web page completley load before typing in the box. Also going to text people takes awhile for the screen to load.

If there are some tricks to keep this phone from getting so slow i would love to know them. Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

I would recommend getting a memory manager that shows processes running, which will show you what is running, and you can look for things that might be sucking up resources....And these types of apps allow you to "free" memory. There are several out there, some free, some on app store for pay.
    Last edited by kwickone; 2009-04-02 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks, now is there one that could be reccommended, i also dont want to disable apps that are needed for the iphone to work properly.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

SysInfo Plus (on Cydia) gives you the most information IMO. It does let you kill processes if you want, but does not have a generic "free memory" function.

I also use iStat (on AppStore) that allows you to Free Memory when you think your phone might be lagging.

I have heard other's like Memory Status and Free Memory, but I don't use them.

Like kwickone said, you can use one of these App Store apps to free up memory. But I'd recommend you memtool, which is free and can be found in cydia.

Additionally or instead of these, you should use SBSettings and its Processes toggle to kill individual processes, without the risk of messing with system processes, cos it won't let you
    Those can also be found in Cydia.

I'd also recommend searching this forum for threads about memory usage. You'll find a lot of useful information on this topic.

Edit:
    I forgot to mention that Memtool also has the ability to terminate individual processes, so it's up to you if you use the processes toggle in SBSettings or not. SBSettings definitly has the quicker access and can be used within any other app, which is a big plus (I use both by the way; Memtool to clean up; SBS to kill processes)
    Anyway, bottom line, if you don't already got it, you should use SBSettings, apart from the whole memory issue!
    Last edited by Enkidu; 2009-04-03 at 03:06 AM.