Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Weird on Cydia!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Miro89's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Weird on Cydia!!!
    hi evry1 i recently restored my iphone 3g from 2.0.2 to 2.2. since then everything is fine except that when i go to cydia>manage>storage it says i have 10% available out of 500MB and used 89%!!!!!!

how come and i just restored yesterday and i have only 5 programs???? plz reply

ps: i put my iphone into dfu mode before i pressed shift+restore

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

That's on your root (system) partition. Your user (mobile) partition where all your apps and music and photos are stored is where all the space is.

can you see this on your cydia

-img_0006.jpg

Thanks

hi evry1 i recently restored my iphone 3g from 2.0.2 to 2.2. since then everything is fine except that when i go to cydia>manage>storage it says i have 10% available out of 500MB and used 89%!!!!!!
    The root partition contains the firmware, fonts, etc. The firmware is quite large depending upon which version. If you need to free up space on the root (system) partition, install BossTools in Cydia and run it. It will free up space on your root (system) partition by moving apps, fonts, etc to your private (larger) partition.

Thanks

yh i know all this but i am saying that on 2.0 before i upgraded it used to say like 45% free out of the system

Thanks

ps: i put my iphone into dfu mode before i pressed shift+restore
    Did you go through the normal jailbreaking process or did you restore a custom IPSW firmware? The reason I ask is because you normally don't put your iPhone in DFU mode before restoring the firmware in iTunes. This method is generally used to restore a custom built firmware or when your iPhone is frakked.

I can't answer why the 2.02 firmware has 45% free space on the system partition and 2.2 only has 10% free space. I just know that restoring firmware 2.2 only leaves about 40-50MB free space on out of the 500MB system partition.

Running Cydia for the first time, automatically moves apps from the system partition to the private partition. Installing BossTools from Cydia will free up about 100MB of space on the system partition.

If you need more free space on the system partition, then you will need to re-jailbreak and create a custom firmware using PwnageTool on a MAC OSX computer. This will allow you to increase the size of the system partition greater than 500MB.

Thanks

ok i jailbroke my iphone normally with quickpwn on vista. and i was thinking about getting bosstools. but does it cause any problems?? if so what and how to be solved?

ps. i put it into dfu mode cuz i have read posts here that less troubles happen when u put it into dfu mode when upgrading, restoring etc.

Thanks

ok i jailbroke my iphone normally with quickpwn on vista. and i was thinking about getting bosstools. but does it cause any problems?? if so what and how to be solved?
    I haven't encountered any problems or bad side effects using BossTools and I have jailbroken many iPhone 3G phones with firmware 2.1 and 2.2. I have stayed away from firmware 2.2.1.

For those interested in how it works, it moves the apps, ringtones and fonts from the system partition to the private parition and then creates symlinks (like shortcuts) in the original folder that point to the new location. If you know anything about Unix or Linux, you will understand.

Note: Apps and ringtones on the system partition are now moved to the private partition during the jailbreak or first time you run Cydia. BossTools only moves fonts. This still frees up a lot of space on the system partiton. Definately worth it.

Thanks

ok thx 4 the info but i still dont get y i only have 10% free on 2.2 while i had 50% free on 2.0.2, n e ways thx 4 ur help