Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Turn SBSettings OFF?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy Turn SBSettings OFF?
    To load my copy of Brothers In Arms, I need to be in "Safe Mode" because of the memory saved, as far as I can see. Being in safe mode, it loads every time.
    While this used to be no problem, I am now also using 5 row and 5 column hacks simultaneously, to make smaller icons to go around the figure of the scantily clad ladies I prefer to use for wallpapers. However, the location of my icons is changed, because when running in 'safe mode' SB runs in the usual 4x4 configuration, and when returning to the normal mobile substrate mode, it is not in the same configuration. While only mildly irritating because I have 9 icons on my SB - I would prefer a more elegant approach.
    Is there a way to shut off SBSettings, hopefully freeing the memory I need?
    I have looked into the boot sequence of the iPod and it is supposed to be similar to Leopard. I cannot remember the name of the single program that is used to control this now (as apposed to the multiple programs I was somewhat familiar with back in my Mandrake Linux days) - but in any event I have not had much progress with this. Ending, stopping, etc. - no matter what I did to a running process/daemon it would be restarted, and I just couldn't find the information I wanted on canceling a daemon and also telling the Run Time Daemon I didn't want it to restart the process. I think I might possibly have some better luck with HUD for canceling daemons because this had a much more verbose list of processes as I remember than the SBSettings "Kill Switch" add-on, but I also am not particularly fond of HUD especially when compared to SBSettings. I would also find this useful to 'shut off' mobile mail, where currently I have to load settings and set "Push" to manual. Even when "push" is set to the off position, Mail is instantly restarted when killed, unless it is also set to manual. This is simply to save battery life.
    Ideally, I would also prefer not to have to use mobile terminal or SSH to play BIA. (To kill unessential daemons) I would prefer at the least a shell file of some type. I could then use BossPrefs to turn this on or off?
    Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

It sounds to me like you are running too many mobile substrate plug-in apps that are eating up all your RAM. SB Settings doesn't use all that much.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I would think too many is a relative term. My main computer at home is my iPod touch and I am rather happy with how I have been able to get it to work. I have my desktop at my business and then my iTouch.
    While I wouldn't blame it solely on sbs I would also think since it is a daemon that starts at boot and is kept running, someone here might know how to use launchctl IIRC to stop it, and other daemons. I have found some info but aparently not all I need to know....
    My three main mem hogs i run and that run in the back ground are safari iPod and mail, but even when these have been stopped, some (or multiple) process or daemons not visible on sbs that do not come up on sbs 'kill' are enough to cause BIA to crash back to SB. The key to allowing this app to run, seems to be run time daemons.

bump

Bump
    Last edited by hawkeye649; 2009-03-07 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Does BIA crash, or does it give you a white screen?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Actually "too many" is not a relative term in this case but an absolute term... ie... if you don't have any memory left then by default you are running too many mobile substrate apps! If you use the process tool in SB Settings and only see phone and mail then that means you don't have any other user installed daemons running. I would suggest going to Cydia.. search tab.. type Mobile Substrate... hit modify... remove (do not confirm)... and make a list of all the apps (excluding themes) that show up on the screen. Report back with this list.

My list:
    iBlacklist
    iReal SMS
    Notifier
    Quickgold
    SB Settings
    sb settings Toggles
    Winterboard

Note: In order to run smoothly I had to delete 5 icon dock and reflective dock. With all the remaining apps installed I struggle to maintain 15MB free and am constantly running Free memory or Mem Tool.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 2009-03-07 at 11:13 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't have an iPhone. With iPod safari and mail I get down to about 14mb.
    To many is relative. Period. If I want them running, then I want them running. You would also see there is no reason to have an SMS app, if you read the post.
    However I am using the 5 icon dock.
    But this is a know BIA problem.
    The program just crashes to springboard/wallpaper.
    thanks for the help so far.