Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone modem, PDAnet + PS3

Default iphone modem, PDAnet + PS3
    hey i would like to know if can i use my 3g internet connection on my ps3 console.

i have a laptop w/wifi.... i have a router..... and ps3 have wifi too... how can i share my internet to my ps3??? . i do a research and there is a guy that share his internet 3g with a ps3 but, the phone he used was a AT&T TILT (Windows Mobile 6.1)<< i think if a windows mobile device can do that, iphone sure does! please i need help

Worst idea ever. Why would you try to use your phone as a tethered modem for your PS3 when you can get MUCH higher speeds using the built in PS3 wi-fi to your wireless router. If you use your phone's internet for the PS3 there are no guarantees that it'll even work since usually you need an open NAT and on top of that the speeds are nowhere near what's required for gaming.

Use your PS3's built-in wi-fi

ive been searching for an answer for months and have tried linking every way possible. THE ONLY INTERNET I HAVE IS PDANET! and my macbook.... if my macbook can find it why cant my ps3!?!?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    First try to get ad-hoc network running between your iPhone and your laptop. Im not sure PS3 supports ad-hoc though. Or iPhone share internet via USB to laptop, and then wireless ad-hoc between laptop and PS3 ? Not sure how it would work through router.

Quote Originally Posted by crashspeeder View Post
    Worst idea ever. Why would you try to use your phone as a tethered modem for your PS3 when you can get MUCH higher speeds using the built in PS3 wi-fi to your wireless router. If you use your phone's internet for the PS3 there are no guarantees that it'll even work since usually you need an open NAT and on top of that the speeds are nowhere near what's required for gaming.

Use your PS3's built-in wi-fi
    that would be great if i had internet in my house. the point is were using the 3g as the only internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by steaky View Post
    First try to get ad-hoc network running between your iPhone and your laptop. Im not sure PS3 supports ad-hoc though. Or iPhone share internet via USB to laptop, and then wireless ad-hoc between laptop and PS3 ? Not sure how it would work through router.
    yeah ive tried that for days.. just was hoping a dev team had a app for it.. HINT HINT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by BeefCakeSTG; 2009-03-12 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Use PDANet as your modem for your computer and once that is successfully connected, set up connection sharing between your computer and PS3 via ethernet cable.
    Respect your elders.

NOPE tried it. for hours. doesnt work. thanks though.

Thanks

I know you can make that work... It may be quite a bit different on a Mac, though as I've only done it on Windows before and even then it was a hassle. Once you have the connection established from phone to computer, it shouldn't be any different than sharing any other connection.
    Respect your elders.

manuely setting the ip adn sub and dns andgate and........ help!

Even if your 3G service is the only option, you shouldn't bother using it with your PS3. Latency will be too high for anything other than crap like turn-based card games (think XBOX Live's "Uno").

Yeah, there might be a few games like "Uno" on PSN, but then you'll run into the other reason that I advise against it: Downloading a bunch of PSN content, be it trailers, games, demos, or DLC, even for offline use, will get your service cut off in no time! You see, you may be paying for "unlimited" 3G Internet service, but the contract not only says that you can only use it with your phone, it says that they can cut you off if you use more than they think is appropriate for unlimited service on your phone.

From what I hear, they will warn you the first time you hit 5GB and cut you off the next time. It's unbelievably easy to hit 5GB on the PSN. Some demos alone are multiple GBs. Don't risk it!

PdaNet is great but it's usefulness is for getting online occasionally, downloading tools and utilities in the field (often to fix an offline PC with a software issue), having in an emergency, and having it for when your Internet connection goes out. Even then, I don't recommend more than the occasional small picture, utility, or YouTube video (be careful!)... Similar to what you would use your phone itself for.
    Last edited by CZroe; 2009-03-13 at 02:24 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Its possible but it will be:

a) laggy as hell
    b) poor connection behind the ATT network NAT
    c) abuse your data plan

Well ive thought of alot of really nice ways to put this but, your wrong. If you consider playing Street Fighter 4 till 2.am "UNO" then your right! NO LAG. voice and all via my 3g iphone. and considering that i used 13gig last night alone, im still on. Then i watched netflix on my mac book while i downloaded a few demos FLAWLESLY! Ill keep you up dated. and if anyone wants to know how i did it let me know. and for all the nonbelivers ill be posting a youtube vid of the procedure and online street fighter game play.

Quote Originally Posted by BeefCakeSTG View Post
    Well ive thought of alot of really nice ways to put this but, your wrong. If you consider playing Street Fighter 4 till 2.am "UNO" then your right! NO LAG. voice and all via my 3g iphone. and considering that i used 13gig last night alone, im still on. Then i watched netflix on my mac book while i downloaded a few demos FLAWLESLY! Ill keep you up dated. and if anyone wants to know how i did it let me know. and for all the nonbelivers ill be posting a youtube vid of the procedure and online street fighter game play.
    It is the game designer's job to hide lag, the effects of latency or the latency itself, from the user, but it's still there. It's funny that you use SFIV to demonstrate your point because not seeing it there specifically means that you don't play on a reactionary level, which means you could never play against the arcade players. Unless you are the host, there is no way you could see a punch coming and block it like a pro player is used to doing. This is due to the latency where a time-stamped bottom press is applied to the action shown after-the-fact, so if you weren't blocking or countering before the packet was ever received, the engine will reverse the game state, apply the action, then jump back to realtime with the effect being that the move is executed without warning, either hitting you, not (lucky), or changing the way you play (predictive vs. reactive).

I was spoiled by playing Killer Instinct, Super Street Fighter II, Weaponlord, Mortal Kombat II, and MK3 on the SNES and SEGA Genesis X-Band video game modem long before the advent of broadband and Internet-connected video game consoles. It would dial a match-making server to exchange email (x-mail) and connection details then the players would directly dial themselves. It was a 28.8kbps modem and yet the experience was LAN-quality. To date, I refuse to play fighting games over Internet connection without ridiculously good conditions (both players on the same ISP in the same region can actually BE LAN user!). Remember Penny-Arcade's comic about the first Street Fighter on XBOX Live? Well, that issue still applies... The ONLY difference today is that Microsoft dumps hosting duties on one of the connected player's consoles (just what are you paying them for anyway?!) and that gives that player an unfair advantage.

Now, that's the problem with fighting games on typical broadband connections. It's MUCH worse on 3G... To the point of affecting all game types whether you can tell or not.

FWIW, pings to Yahoo are all over the map...Some attempts average several hundred ms to well over a thousand ms while others average 200-220. To put that into perspective, I was told not to join servers with over 200 when I was on DIAL UP in The Nineties... And that was for game types CREATED for netplay (FPS), rather than reflexive arcade fighters.
    Last edited by CZroe; 2009-03-14 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by BeefCakeSTG View Post
    I can't wait until AT&T bills you on a per kilobyte usage basis since you went over their bandwidth cap of 5 GB's by almost 3 times in one night. Keep doing it, i'd love to see you cross 50-100 gigs and wait for the sob story about how you got charged thousands of dollars, simply because you didn't read the fine print of your contract...unlimited does not mean unlimited, even i've tethered before using my 3G but not nearly that many gigs in one night.

I definitely am not against what you're doing as it's your "unlimited" data and you're free to use it how you want to and like i said i've tethered using PdaNet, i just happen to find it funny that you think you're invincible, despite other people's warnings. Please do keep us posted on your monthly usage developments.

Yeah. No one said that he'd be disconnected immediately and yet he seems to think that his still being online is proof of something. He WILL get a letter either warning him or cutting him off, and it's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    Yeah. No one said that he'd be disconnected immediately and yet he seems to think that his still being online is proof of something. He WILL get a letter either warning him or cutting him off, and it's as simple as that.
    I agree...even with intermittent tethering using PdaNet with my 3G, usually on my university campus where the wi-fi signal is weak, the most data i've ever used in a single month was 200,000 k/b, or one-fifth of a gig out of the 5-gig bandwidth cap. But 13 gigs in one night? Plus however many more this guy has used since? Sheesh...he's got another thing coming...

i cannot get it work yet... i uses pdanet with the laptop via wifi, then bridge wifi connection to ethernet port... connect wired ps3 to the laptop, and still dont get any internet on the ps3... any idea?

WMWifiRouter - Support - Compatible Devices <<< i hope iphone will be listed as a device that runs this app... APP DEVS!!! make something... this app will get u a lot of money if u can convert the iphone into a ACCESS POINT...
    Last edited by blankito350; 2009-04-09 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I just tried it. It works fine but sucks. Only tether for important things for when your main connection is down

its unlimited... i dont think they will be warn you for tons of gigabyte usage... if they do that, acuse them on the court... u will win the case

Has anyone ever worked out a way to tether a PSP to an iphone? The PSP supports ad-hoc networking, but I can't get it to see pdanet etc. and google came up blank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast