Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help required, browsing file directories.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation Help required, browsing file directories.
    Hi there,

Ive had an iphone for a while now and after only 2 months was bored with it. i then found out how to jailbreak and put some custom apps on, including cydia and installer which i now get most of the things i need to have fun with my iphone from.

This is the thing, I picked up an old gameboy the other day and played on it for hours, ive now found out i can put a gameboy emulator on my phone (which i now have) and have put roms on my pc at work. Unfortunately i havent been able to put them on my phone yet as i cant install anything on my pc at work and im here till real late meaning i proberbly wouldnt have time at home. is there any program i can use to put roms on my iphone, including creating the correct directories, without having to actually install anythin g on the pc's harddrive. Bear in mind i can run programs which dont require installation.

ive tried a version from ispazio, well tried to get it but my installer ap (after updating) couldnt pick up the source which i tried insuptting 3 times!

ah well, i'll ask you more knowledgeable guys (and gals!) here and see what you all think.

Thanks for your help. this is an awesome site!

Regards,

Dan.

SSH on Windows - ModMyi - Wiki
    var/root/media/ROMs/GBA , you may need to create the ROMs and/or GBA folders. This is the directory you'll place your GBA ROMs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Broomhead For This Useful Post:

Danzio (2009-02-25)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

cool ill have a look now cheers. yeah ive had the ifuntastic ap before at home but my mac is away for some repair, (under warrenty mind!) so i have to try and make do with my crappy works pc for now.

thanks for your help broom.

na its no good, tried to get ssh but i need to install, wont let me install anything on the work pc, thats why i was asking for an alternative. if there isn't one ill have to wait till' i get my mac back of apple.

anyone else with any ideas?

greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Danzio; 2009-02-25 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

not really, all applications require you to install something on your pc to connect to your iPhone.
    you could search google for a installer source to get ROMs, but we can't provide the source to you here at MMi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Broomhead For This Useful Post:

Danzio (2009-02-25)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok, ill try and have a look. bit of a silly question really but thats a bunch for your help broom.

like i said ill have a look and see what i can dig up via google.

thanks again.

Thumbs up A solution!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danzio View Post
    is there any program i can use to put roms on my iphone, including creating the correct directories, without having to actually install anythin g on the pc's harddrive
    I have managed to do exactly what you are trying to achieve by using a few programs on the iPhone. All it requires is you have internet access at work, which Im guessing you have as you've posted on this site.

Firstly download and install FTPonTheGo as that has a built in HTTP webserver. Run it and in the settings enable the webserver via file sharing. Setup a username and password and note down the URL it gives you.

On your work PC navigate your way to the URL you noted down and if all goes well you should be prompted to log into the phones server. Once logged in you will be presented with a file list, and then a tab at the top labelled "Upload files". Use this to upload your roms from the local PC.

Once you have uploaded all your files then go back to the phone and run Finder or a similar file manager.

Navigate to where your files were saved to (in my case ~Applications/E4C23120-58FB-42AB-AD4A-C4AE5883CFEB/Documents/Files) and then move them to the desired rom folder.

I believe as an alternative to FTPonTheGo you can use a free app named Files Lite as that lets you upload files in a similar way.

Of couse, all this relies on you having a half decent data connection on your phone while you're at work. In my case I have Wifi so I can access my phone nice and quick, but I guess it should work via 3G if your signal is good enough and your corporate firewall doesnt mind!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to losbenitos For This Useful Post:

Danzio (2009-02-27)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok sounds interesting, so im gonna require my charger cable yeah.

and where would i find those programs for the iphone, on apstore of cydia?

thanks for you're help ist much appreciated!

Only reason to have your charger cable would be to stop your battery going flat, all the data etc goes to and from the phone wirelessly so there is no other need for the cable.

You can find FTPonTheGo and Files Lite both on the App Store, and Finder via Cydia.
    Last edited by losbenitos; 2009-03-01 at 12:57 PM.