Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is there any way to Edit Systems String for 2.2 without SSHing?

Default Is there any way to Edit Systems String for 2.2 without SSHing?
    The title speaks for itself. Any replies are appreciated.
    I personally I don't want to learn how to SSH as all I want to do is just edit the Sliding Text for my iPhone 3G.

well one thing you can try is customize

it has been reported to work for different people, im not sure wy it differentiates between people but

turn on airplane mode, and when it launches it will start to load then throw you out keep trying till it lets you stay. once your in make an account then edit system strings

it may or may not work

Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    well one thing you can try is customize

it has been reported to work for different people, im not sure wy it differentiates between people but

turn on airplane mode, and when it launches it will start to load then throw you out keep trying till it lets you stay. once your in make an account then edit system strings

it may or may not work
    I've already tried Customize, made an account. Got in it, then nothing shows up under 'System Strings'. So... I guess I just have to wait until a new APP is released to edit your system strings using your iPhone / iPod Touch alone? :X

why cant u ssh

Maybe you can do it with winterboard.So create a theme with the strings file,go to Themename/Bundles/com.apple.springboard/En.lproj folder&put into it.In that file you need to have at least this to change Slide to Unlock:
    away_lock_label='Text Here'

Exclamation Fix customize completley!!!
    Before you open customize make sure that every possible connection is disconnected (bluetooth, 3g, ssh, wi-fi, gprs, edge, and put airplane mode on)

this is how i got into mine on my iPod Touch..

replace customize2 with this... put it in var/mobile/library/customize2

Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JStraitiff For This Useful Post:

mrblader (2009-02-24)

Thumbs up Thank you thank you thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by pippy671 View Post
    Before you open customize make sure that every possible connection is disconnected (bluetooth, 3g, ssh, wi-fi, gprs, edge, and put airplane mode on)

this is how i got into mine on my iPod Touch..
    I turned off all signals and put it in airplane mode and it still didn't work, then with everything else off i turned off airplane mode and it worked!

I have been trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with customize for months now. never even occurred to me that an incoming signal was hurting it.

works now tho so thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    replace customize2 with this... put it in var/mobile/library/customize2

Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

WOW.... thanks H!!

didn't think i'd EVER get to edit system strings easily again...
    8Gig > 1.0 FW (dead spot on screen)
    8Gig > 1.0.2 FW (broken vibrate after a while)
    8Gig > 1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2(Jonny5 Still alive)

Quote Originally Posted by Trance View Post
    The title speaks for itself. Any replies are appreciated.
    I personally I don't want to learn how to SSH as all I want to do is just edit the Sliding Text for my iPhone 3G.
    Well, in principle you can use a text editor from Terminal. I say in principle because while I think there are text editors for iPhone running from Terminal, as you typically get from any Unix machine (including Macs), I have never used them (although they are probably installed on my machine). Look into Cydia.
    iPhone 2G Pwned 3.1.2
    MBP OSX 10.6.3