View Poll Results: Do you NEED a PDF reader? Please specify why or why not!

Voters
391. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes(I need it NOW, tell us why!)

356 91.05%
  • NO(I dont need it, and never will, tell us why!)

35 8.95%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Do you NEED a PDF reader?

I would use it for work/school. Most everyone that uses the various screenwriting software exports to pdf format for maximum compatability.

if u need it u can just use google to view as html i think or get a gmail and view as html.

I too am dying for a pdf and chm reader (and why not comics / .cbr too? Seems perfect with the zooming).

It's odd that the email client can read stuff -- is there a way to hack Mail to open a file?

The Preview app does nothing...

There's the open source chmox you can get from macports -- can this be migrated in some way?

Thanks

Theres this app made by Erica called 'pdfit.' It basically reads pdf files. I don't know if its any help to anyone but you guys can try it out for yourselves.

http://iphone.natetrue.com/OtherErica/

download pdfit.tar

Quote Originally Posted by itzwiL View Post
    Theres this app made by Erica called 'pdfit.' It basically reads pdf files. I don't know if its any help to anyone but you guys can try it out for yourselves.

http://iphone.natetrue.com/OtherErica/

download pdfit.tar

holy crap..this is funny s hell...i downloaded and installed this program...seems erica sadun got a letter from an attorney, asking her to stop calling her "ilight" app "ilight"...

but i cant get the app to open a pdf, itonly opens that letter automatically when i start the app

Quote Originally Posted by drunknbass View Post
    seems like that works for only some mac users, and none of us windows users
    Last edited by sunnywala; 2007-09-27 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

This is not the solution: we need a real app how is this so hard?

pdf reader is gonna be one of those things that make iphone great!!

I don't know why Books can't alreayd do this.
    Update soon plzkthnkz?!

pdf readers are actually complicted to make. they take up alot of ram...just try browsing a webpage with alot of high res pis...safari usually crashes...now think of how it is gonna be to open a 25 page pdf!
    ..it will take time, but with demand ...the program will come, dontbe surprised if it is not free

Well isn't PDF at the core of Mac OS and thus at the core of the iPhone OS which is why safari and mail open up PDFs. So wouldn't this be easy ?

I have a ton of ebooks in pdf format, so I'd especially like to see that functionality built in to Books. I'd be pretty happy to see a stand-alone app as well, however. I'd be using it primarily for reading and reference.

pdf has been the most useful and convenient way for people to view and send work-related documents to each. i myself can't do without it both for personal and work-related uses. not to mention easier ebook reading w/o installing a separate app for doing so. we all hope they can come up with the app soon.

I have lots of medical journal articles in pdf. Reading them using the safari browser is painful (font too small). I hope someone can develop a pdf viewer that can magnify the text.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DocGo View Post
    I have lots of medical journal articles in pdf. Reading them using the safari browser is painful (font too small). I hope someone can develop a pdf viewer that can magnify the text.
    Pinch and expand... it's one of the things that sets the iPhone apart.

Eurisko, Thank you so much for reminding me of the pinch and expand method! I still do hope for a dedicated PDF viewer, or maybe, an app that can convert BIG pdf files so I can read them with safari.

Thanks

As of today, Erica Sadun has released her PDFViewer for iPhone. It's in the Installer.

Nate True released it,
    Erica first created it.
    =D

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oxeneers View Post
    As of today, Erica Sadun has released her PDFViewer for iPhone. It's in the Installer.
    Anybody get this to work? Mine pulls up the list of PDF's, but when I open them, it just goes to a black screen and hangs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Anybody get this to work? Mine pulls up the list of PDF's, but when I open them, it just goes to a black screen and hangs.
    It seems to choke on moderate to large-sized PDFs. It won't open the iPhone User Guide, for instance. But it does work for others. Seems a bit flakey in landscape orientation too. But hopefully all of this will get addressed in due time.

Meanwhile I still use Apache to read locally-stored PDFs (it doesn't choke on the iPhone User Guide, but can't open anything much larger than that).

--
    Mike

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast