Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do you actually access and use erica utlities?

Default How do you actually access and use erica utlities?
    I've been trying to figure out how to use plutil but I'm at a loss and I can't seem to discover and literature for it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Its all command line. For basic instructions, just run it from command line with no argument. It will give you the basic arguments you can use.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

phreakwenci (2009-02-03)

Ok, now for my next dumb question... how do I access command line on the iphone??

Thanks

Either in stall terminal and run from the iphone or you can use Putty and connect via your PC.

couldn't find terminal in cydia, is there a specific app I should be looking for?

Thanks

Mobile Terminal. Which begs the question - if you aren't even aware what the command line is... should you be using purely command line tools?

gotta start somewhere why not on the one thing I need to work on. Baby steps will be the philosophy.

Thanks

This guy has got time for plenty restores lol

Well, if you know of a guide/site/faq/forum that I could do more research in and learn from I'd be more than happy to read it and not have to post here just to get flamed for asking questions...

Thanks

I'm not flaming at all. That's what we're here for, to teach.

What I'm asking is, what are you trying to do? You say you're "trying to use plutil," but are unfamiliar with anything to do with the command line - so I'm wondering, what is your end goal? There may be a much easier way to do what you're trying to do. For instance, reading and editing .plist files can be easily done from any Mac or Windows computer via actual GUI apps, which are much easier to use than the purely text operated command line clients.

If you're not even familiar with how to get to a command line - you're not just learning how to use plutil, you're going to have to learn bash in general, meaning how to do /anything/ via command line.

That's why I ask.

I'm interested in learning how to edit plist files on the fly. I'm sometime in a situation where I need to change something and don't have access to a pc. That's my interest. However, I am interested in what GUI's are best for editing binary plist files on a pc.

Thanks

Hmm.

XMLSpear Download by DonkeyDevelopment at Software Development may work on Windows. Its much tougher via Windows than OS X. For iPhone, yah, download MobileTerminal, install erica utilities, then run it from the command line (simply type plutil and hit enter).