Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can I distribute the same app through Cydia and the App Store?

Default Can I distribute the same app through Cydia and the App Store?
    I have a very basic question to which I haven't found a clear answer, even after asking in two other forums:

My app, a chess program, will soon be ready for release, and my intention was to release it in two versions: One for distribution through Cydia, and another for distribution through Apple's App Store. However, I have recently heard rumors that Apple does not accept programs on the App Store if they are also available through other channels.

Does anyone know whether this is correct? If it is, how much must the Cydia and the App Store version differ from each other for Apple to accept the program? Is it enough to just use a different name?

Furthermore, my program is open source (GPL). Is there a risk that Apple will ban my program because somebody else distributes the program outside the App Store?

Certainly some apps have put their beta versions on Cydia; I doubt whether the Cydia version would be continued once an app's in the store.

Is yours going to be a free app? If so, I have to ask: why the need to have it on Cydia as well?
    My guide to customising Buuf2! / Create your own Buuf2 icons! / Buuf2 iPhone wallpapers flickr pool!
    Having trouble finding a Buuf2 icon? Search the thread with the paperclip!

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol1 View Post
    Certainly some apps have put their beta versions on Cydia; I doubt whether the Cydia version would be continued once an app's in the store.

Is yours going to be a free app?
    It's a GPL program, so it will certainly be free in the "free as in freedom" sense. I haven't quite made up my mind as to whether I will give it away for free on the App Store, but I probably will.

If so, I have to ask: why the need to have it on Cydia as well?
    The most important reason is that I plan to add some features to the Cydia version later on which I can't implement in the App Store version, because of Apple's restrictions. For instance, I would like to add support for adding third-party chess engines to the GUI, which I can't do in the App Store version because Apple doesn't allow programs to start new processes of their own.