Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Do not to the blackjack update

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Default Do not to the blackjack update
    When we install an update we expect a functionality increase to better the game, not for the developer to trick people into updating so he can lock the god damn game in the name of greed so he can now sell it through the SDK.

The latest build will lock itself. all the way up to 5.11 will not lock itself.... for those that have not updated it in a few, your old program will work if you do not update.
    Last edited by one1; 2008-03-03 at 05:46 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

method77 (2008-03-03)

What update are you talking about? My version expired without any update at all and has been for a while.

And it's not really greed if you ask me. He's probably spent countless hours making the game and decided now that he wants to be compensated.

Thanks

Expired my ***, it clearly says it was deactivated and was done so on the update that said "fixes three things in the game" for the update that came out today. Yeah....... fixes your ability to play it. The latest alpha has an expiration date in it.

http://patrickmccarron.com/

Thanks to everyone for testing out the early versions of iBlackjack. Your insightful feedback, encouragement and generosity has helped me create a great game. Since all efforts are now focused on making iBlackjack a great commercial game developed under the official iPhone SDK, we had to deactivate the old unsupported versions.
    Tell me you are going to do it, be honest. I'll glady give you $5 or whatever. If you sneak up on me and trick me I'll buy every other game out there except yours.
    Last edited by one1; 2008-03-03 at 05:47 AM.

I do find it tricky too. I did a search and found an older version and went back to that. And from now on I backup every app before upgrading to a never version.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Mine expired without any updating of anything, like I said.

Thanks

No it didn't it expired on the LAST update, as I said.

When we install an update we expect a functionality increase to better the game, not for the developer to trick people into updating so he can lock the god damn game in the name of greed so he can now sell it through the SDK.

The latest build will lock itself. all the way up to 5.11 will not lock itself.... for those that have not updated it in a few, your old program will work if you do not update.
    Last edited by one1; 2008-03-03 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

yes is true, mine just expire and BTW Im not buying anything from him.

Thanks

Well fix it........ here: http://code.google.com/p/iphoneblack...+DownloadCount

All the way up to 5.11 works fine. Now you're back in shape.

Patrick I know you are on this forum and you should be ashamed for selling out and locking the old program.

If you want to release a new program and charge for it, I support that as you are working on a program to sell in the SDk for the other greedy bastages running to apple with their hand out, but don't lock the old program.

What's free should stay free, what's SDK forward should be charged for. Locking a game that has ALWAYS been free and supported is bull shizz. The game that was founded under free support of the community should be free, and what you develop for sale for the SDK is not a part of the community supported free program that we have supported. There is a difference and it is a moral responsibility.

What you do from the SDK forward, is what you should charge for. Our donations on that little "donate now" link at the start of the game have already paid for this program to this point.

Period.
    Last edited by one1; 2008-03-03 at 08:39 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone shadow_cruiser's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you very much one1 for that link. I couldn't find 5.1.1 anywhere. I'm sure it will get deleted soon so I have uploaded it here if it ever does.
    Attached Files Attached Files

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm sorry everyone is upset. But I can't please everyone, especially those who are not willing to pay for the hard work I've put into the game. Those who donated will not be forgotten, they were a major contribution to me continuing the work early on. We're still working out exactly how to thank those who donated and those who also contributed to testing.

The old version is and always was an alpha test, not a final version. The expiration was set to March because we were assuming the SDK would come out in February and we'd be able to have the new version available, or at least know when it would be made available. So I'm regrettably sorry that I don't have a new version to give to everyone in time for this expiration hitting. But my hands are tied because sadly Apple's SDK release has slipped, and we don't know how far yet either.

We'll know more come Thursday obviously and adjust our plans from that point on so we don't keep people out of the game for too long. Of course you can just use the older versions as well.
    Patrick McCarron
    iPhone Software Engineer @ Mobileage, Inc

iPhone? More like MyPhone shadow_cruiser's Avatar
    Thanks

Its not that people are not willing to pay but we had a door slammed in our face, those who have donated or others who have contributed to testing. I myself have donated and feel appalled we didn't get any recognition.

From the looks of the googlecode feature list, it seems as though this won't be a commercial app and this is the reason why everyone is stunned. You just stated on the day of expiration that it will be commercial and we have to wait for the SDK release to play blackjack again.

I don't mind paying at all because I have paid for many apps (apptapp,labyrinth,ste,etc) but the way you went about it was uncalled for. I guess whats done is done and can only look to the future

Thanks

The Google Code site was used for bug tracking, and I'm sorry it created confusion. But I've had notes of this going to SDK release since the SDK was announced. It has always been a plan, and I'm sorry you didn't see that in the roadmap, but the game was an alpha version.

Also as I stated, I never wanted a door shut in people's faces with no other option. My hands were tied. Apple's schedule screwed it up, we picked March as a date back in January and obviously Apple's plans moved out past March for the SDK.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_cruiser View Post
    Its not that people are not willing to pay but we had a door slammed in our face, those who have donated or others who have contributed to testing. I myself have donated and feel appalled we didn't get any recognition.
    Also as I said, those who donated will be taken care of, I just can't announce anything yet at this point because it'd be premature to give details with the SDK details not announced. I haven't forgotten those who donated and contributed.
    Patrick McCarron

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_cruiser View Post

From the looks of the googlecode feature list, it seems as though this won't be a commercial app and this is the reason why everyone is stunned. You just stated on the day of expiration that it will be commercial and we have to wait for the SDK release to play blackjack again.

I don't mind paying at all because I have paid for many apps (apptapp,labyrinth,ste,etc) but the way you went about it was uncalled for. I guess whats done is done and can only look to the future
    Agree'd ten fold. The point that is trying to be made to Patrick is that even the alpha is built on donation money. 1.0 forward should be charged for to help reward himself for his work, sold through the SDK. ANY alpha version should be free because it was community funded, therefore it cannot be free and locked at the same time.

No one here is owed V1.0 for free. It' in Apples grubby little hands now.

It's the Alpha versions that people are getting pissed about being locked because I could have bought 1.0 from apple for $5 or donated $15 to the blackjack fund (like so many did) only to have the alpha locked out near the SDK.

The progression to the backlash is simple....... The community paid for Alpha, it's already bought and paid for..... release it unlocked to the public.

V1.0 SDK is not paid for, and people will buy it IF the alpha is handled properly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Agree'd ten fold. The point that is trying to be made to Patrick is that even the alpha is built on donation money. 1.0 forward should be charged for to help reward himself for his work, sold through the SDK. ANY alpha version should be free because it was community funded, therefore it cannot be free and locked at the same time.

No one here is owed V1.0 for free. It' in Apples grubby little hands now.

It's the Alpha versions that people are getting pissed about being locked because I could have bought 1.0 from apple for $5 or donated $15 to the blackjack fund (like so many did) only to have the alpha locked out near the SDK.

The progression to the backlash is simple....... The community paid for Alpha, it's already bought and paid for..... release it unlocked to the public.

V1.0 SDK is not paid for, and people will buy it IF the alpha is handled properly.
    I don't disagree and it's out of my hands, but the old versions are available in this thread just not via Installer anymore.

And as I said, those who donated ARE being taken care of, no question to that. I just can't do or promise anything at this point in time with limited knowledge. That was a sad fact in the matter of the timing. Also a fun fact, those who did donate were less than 0.02% of those who downloaded it.
    Patrick McCarron

Thanks

am I missing something or did the themes get removed also when the app was removed today? Damn shame. I just did an update and wanted to do it the easy way. I have the zips.

(I did it the hard way though since they seem to be gone)
    Last edited by one1; 2008-03-06 at 11:05 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

wow thats tight we were the beta testers he could at-least giv us a code or somfing for the sdk version
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Thanks

am I missing something or did the themes get removed also when the app was removed today? Damn shame. I just did an update and wanted to do it the easy way. I have the zips.

(I did it the hard way though since they seem to be gone)
    It was a server error, I had the file pointing to the wrong place. They should be back up now, but I can't get them to work with 1.1.3+ for some reason. Wont properly put files into the folder. Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by heath_rox View Post
    wow thats tight we were the beta testers he could at-least giv us a code or somfing for the sdk version
    Donators will get something along those lines, since we consider them customers. But since we don't know anything detailed about the SDK, YET, we can't make promises. There is additional testing that needs done as well, and some people will be invited to that, again once we figure out the SDK details today.
    Patrick McCarron

Thanks

It was a server error, I had the file pointing to the wrong place. They should be back up now, but I can't get them to work with 1.1.3+ for some reason. Wont properly put files into the folder. Eh?
    They've never directly worked with 1.1.3, so no new disappointments.

You just D/L them, Open your SSH, and drag them into mobile/library, and chmod to 777 and you're good to go. It's so easy to do I never even considered it a problem. Assuming since you designed the program you should be able to redirect them to the right spot in the future.

I think we can quit giving Pat sh1tt about the SDK ........ for now

(I just wanna alpha test this iPoker for ya )
    Last edited by one1; 2008-03-06 at 03:15 PM.

Thanks

They've never directly worked with 1.1.3, so no new disappointments.

You just D/L them, Open your SSH, and drag them into mobile/library, and chmod to 777 and you're good to go. It's so easy to do I never even considered it a problem. Assuming since you designed the program you should be able to redirect them to the right spot in the future.

I think we can quit giving Pat sh1tt about the SDK ........ for now

(I just wanna alpha test this iPoker for ya )
    Yeah it works good manually, the game was programmed "correctly" to take user's home directories into account. Just Installer is having permissions issues when I place files into the /var/mobile/ folder instead of /var/root/

But 1.0 will allow you to put the files into ~/Media/ so you don't have to jailbreak to install themes, you can pop them into place with anything that reads the iPhone as a digital camera. Programs like MegaPhone work great to do this.

We may support OTA downloading as well, depends on what the SDK restricts as far as data downloading and storage.
    Patrick McCarron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast