Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Where is the native Dictionary??

Default Where is the native Dictionary??
    I am curious if any developer would be able to write a Dictionary application: I still can't believe this simple app isn't available

2. The Following User Says Thank You to musicpenguy For This Useful Post:

busserlus (2008-01-27)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Same here
    This is the first app that came to mind when the natives started appearing--something similar to the Mac dictionary program would be awesome, (dictionary and thesaurus).

This is a great idea..but for now we can just google the word with safari.l

Well the idea is that this should be a functional device without internet access, as I use it as a Pocket Macintosh - i.e. no service at all

oh you mean u didnt activate it with at&t or unllock it and use it with another carrier ? So its like an ipod touch?

I activated via the GO method and cancelled immediately, so it is like an iPod Touch except it has a durable back, speaker, mic, adjustable volume. I would have still gotten an iPhone even with the iPod Touch available just because the hardware is still a little better - built like a phone i.e. durable and the speaker and mic are invaluable!

What durable back. Doesnt iphone touch have the same back

im assuming u mean ipod touch...but the back is similar to that of the ipods . All silver...still durable if not more so in my opinion

The iPod touch has that scratchable back found on most ipods, it is the same material of the silver trim around the iPhone which is the only scratchable surface on the iPhone. The back of the iPhone is built so it won't scratch the iPod touch is using the same back that will scratch easily.

Back to my original purpose of this thread is can someone create a simple iPhone Dictionary based off of the Dictionary.app built into Mac OS X
    Last edited by musicpenguy; 2007-09-08 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

weDict , a dictionary app for iphone, is a multilingual dictionary. It supports stardict's dictionaries (http://stardict.sf.net). There are lots of free dictionaries for a great number of languages.

download dictionaries:
    http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries.php

The dictionaries need to be installed to /private/var/root/Library/weDict

After downloading a dictionary, extract. Then rename *.dict.dz to *.dict.gz, extract.

Copy *.dict and *.idx to /private/var/root/Library/weDict

Done!

http://guohongtao.googlepages.com/weDict.zip

12. The Following User Says Thank You to laoren For This Useful Post:

macbhusandi (2007-11-29)

No luck, I've followed all of the steps but am just getting a white screen at application launch

did you change the permissions to 755?!
    took me a while but I finally have it installed on my iphone

btw you gotta use 7zip to get the .dict file from the .gz otherwise it wont work. I spend the whole morning trying to do it on winrar and always getting errors.

No I didnt try that. It zips out fine. But you are saying change permissions on the . Dict file to 755 instead of 455 and it will work.

I will give it a shot tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by musicpenguy View Post
    No I didnt try that. It zips out fine. But you are saying change permissions on the . Dict file to 755 instead of 455 and it will work.

I will give it a shot tonight!
    change permissons on the file /Applications/weDict.app/weDict to 755.

Ok thanks !

Quick question how do I numerically change permissions on my mac (or iPhone) I can only see the numbers with no change in Mobile Finder and I can't figure out on the mac how to see it at all.

Thanks Again

Quote Originally Posted by musicpenguy View Post
    Ok thanks !

Quick question how do I numerically change permissions on my mac (or iPhone) I can only see the numbers with no change in Mobile Finder and I can't figure out on the mac how to see it at all.

Thanks Again
    If you installed binkit, it might be like "chmod +x /Applications/weDict.app/weDict".

Oh I know were to find the file its just the changing of permissions that I'm not sure how to do.

I use SFTP

Fixed never mind - AMAZING thanks for all of your help - curious what does 755 mean in english?
    Last edited by musicpenguy; 2007-09-11 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Great information and link to dictionaries. I downloaded them, extracted them, changed the name and used ibrickr to create the right directories and copied the files over. BUT I have no idea how to install the weDict app. ibrickr can't find it as it doesn't have a PXL extension and it isn't in the installer repository. Can I just copy the weDict files over to the iPhone? If so where do they go? Thanks

Pete
    files
    Quote Originally Posted by laoren View Post
    weDict , a dictionary app for iphone, is a multilingual dictionary. It supports stardict's dictionaries (http://stardict.sf.net). There are lots of free dictionaries for a great number of languages.

download dictionaries:
    http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries.php

The dictionaries need to be installed to /private/var/root/Library/weDict

After downloading a dictionary, extract. Then rename *.dict.dz to *.dict.gz, extract.

Copy *.dict and *.idx to /private/var/root/Library/weDict

Done!

http://guohongtao.googlepages.com/weDict.zip
    OK I'm experimenting on my own now. Used ibrickr to make a directory called Wedict.app in the applications directory (where all the other apps are). Wasn't sure what to call it. Other apps use capitalised first letter so I went for Wedict.app rather than weDict.app.

Copied all the file over and then using the finder app set the weDict app permissions to 755. Wedict shows on the springboard..whoooowhooooooo BUT when I tap it it just highlights for a second and nothing happens. No errors, no nothing

Back to playing..........................

Pete
    Last edited by flyingdoctor; 2007-09-16 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i also get the white screen after the app launches.
    this is what i did.
    - create a folder Wedict.app in the /Applications
    - put all the files from the wedict.zip in there
    - download the dict and got the *.dict & .idx
    - put them in /private/var/root/Library/weDict ( i created the weDict folder)
    - restart
    - white screen after launching the app then quits

do mac users have to set permission too ?? coz i never had to set permission for any app before..

scratch that, i got it to work now
    apparently u still have to set permission even tho a mac user - -"

thanks for a great app
    Last edited by vice; 2007-09-16 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vice View Post
    i also get the white screen after the app launches.
    this is what i did.
    - create a folder Wedict.app in the /Applications
    - put all the files from the wedict.zip in there
    - download the dict and got the *.dict & .idx
    - put them in /private/var/root/Library/weDict ( i created the weDict folder)
    - restart
    - white screen after launching the app then quits

do mac users have to set permission too ?? coz i never had to set permission for any app before..

scratch that, i got it to work now
    apparently u still have to set permission even tho a mac user - -"

thanks for a great app
    OK I now have the white screen. Do you need to set the permissions for the dict and idx files or just the app?

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast