Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Where is the native Dictionary??

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdoctor View Post
    OK I now have the white screen. Do you need to set the permissions for the dict and idx files or just the app?

Pete
    Just the app - I used Squid on the iPhone to set the executable permissions.

Someone who doesn't need sleep right now should make a PXL file.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that if you use Installer.app to install weDict, it's installed with all the correct permissions. Might be easier than having to edit them yourself.

So nice to finally have a small, portable Italian-English dictionary... mi piace il iPhone!

Friggin Phenomenal application! I used installer to install weDict.app and permissions were correct. The manual method of creating directories with iBrickr caused the white screens. Used a combination of BitZipper and 7-Zip to manually move the .dict files to the iPhone with iBrickr.
    "My mind is a raging torrent, fluttering with creative desires, cascading over waterfalls of endless alternatives..."

Installer.app has all the dictionaries now as well - someone's been busy!

I got the app and the different dictionaries via installer working, but I am having trouble adding a spanish dictonary too it. First, whenever I try to search for dictionaries via:
    http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries.php
    I get a google error. I found some files somewhere else, but they are .dz files. I tried renaming them per a previous post but I still could not get it to work. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by lookatthemonkeys View Post
    I got the app and the different dictionaries via installer working, but I am having trouble adding a spanish dictonary too it. First, whenever I try to search for dictionaries via:
    http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries.php
    I get a google error. I found some files somewhere else, but they are .dz files. I tried renaming them per a previous post but I still could not get it to work. Any advice?
    Go to this link instead:
    http://www.stardict.org/

Once you select your Source and Destination languages, a link will appear underneath Source Language. Click on that and there should be a download link at the bottom.

Once you've downloaded your dictionary, extract it using WinZip (if you're on a PC). Then rename the .dz file to .gz and extract again to obtain the .dict file. Place both the .dict and .idx files in:

/private/var/root/Library/weDict

If you're on a PC, I suggest using WinZip. I had used WinRAR and several other zipping softwares, but had problems extracting the .gz file.
    Last edited by enigmanic; 2007-09-20 at 07:10 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to enigmanic For This Useful Post:

lookatthemonkeys (2007-09-20)

Quote Originally Posted by enigmanic View Post
    Go to this link instead:
    http://www.stardict.org/

Once you select your Source and Destination languages, a link will appear underneath Source Language. Click on that and there should be a download link at the bottom.

Once you've downloaded your dictionary, extract it using WinZip (if you're on a PC). Then rename the .dz file to .gz and extract again to obtain the .dict file. Place both the .dict and .idx files in:

/private/var/root/Library/weDict

If you're on a PC, I suggest using WinZip. I had used WinRAR and several other zipping softwares, but had problems extracting the .gz file.
    Thank you! Problem solved, had to use Winzip not Winrar. Works great! I cant believe I have a Spanish Dictionary on me always now!

My problem with Eng-Vietnames font!!! Do anybody help me, please

how to place more than two dictionaies..in we dict..i tried placing the dict and idx files..of different dictionaries..in the same folder..but only the first one works....help

I tried this, but when I extract the *.gz file it says:

DUsers\Ben\Downloads\stardict-edict-2.4.2\stardict-edict-2.4.2\edict.dict.gz: Unexpected end of archive
    DUsers\Ben\Downloads\stardict-edict-2.4.2\stardict-edict-2.4.2\edict.dict.gz: CRC failed in edict.dict. The file is corrupt

This has happened with four different files.

EDIT: Fixed it. I needed to use 7-zip to extract the *.gz file. Not Win-RAR like they said to. Maybe this should be fixed up top.

Here's a new icon that I made, feel free to use it. I think it's much better than the one given. You can use it in SummerBoard.

Last edited by McBanjo; 2007-10-14 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following User Says Thank You to McBanjo For This Useful Post:

vishisback (2007-10-18)

Guys m not able to change the permission to 755 , though i can see it in my Finder Application ! Can ne 1 tell me how do i edit the permission . m Using Vista so is it possible 4 me to do this ???
    Or where can i get the PXL extension file ? i searched out in the I brickr but it gave me d link to this topic ???
    Help ..........
    Last edited by vishisback; 2007-10-25 at 12:34 PM.

Default BIG TROUBLE aouch!!!
    i download the dic file, and i do the convert for .dit.dz to gz but when i want to extract it it's don't work, what can i do?

it's ok thanks to a member post i found how to do
    Last edited by angellus971; 2007-10-20 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

hi,friends. I don't know either how to change the permission to 775 In my Finder application. though I can change it to some other numbers by clicking the read, write and execut. Any one can help me to figure it out.Great thxs.

Hi guys, I installed it via Instaler and added English - Italian and viceversa languages. Everything works like a charm.

Now I have a question: how can I modify the name it shows on the Springborad form weDict to Dizionario?

is there a way to get the dictionary in the tight file all on the iphone or do you have to use a computer to do it?

i installed weDict and Britannica Concise from installer. I checked the files and permission are correct. weDict manage to launch, but no matter what words i type in ( including apple ) it just return 'Not found'. What went wrong?
    US iPhone 8Gb 1.1.1 Wk38 Jailbroken and Unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by cbong69 View Post
    i installed weDict and Britannica Concise from installer. I checked the files and permission are correct. weDict manage to launch, but no matter what words i type in ( including apple ) it just return 'Not found'. What went wrong?
    Hi - you need to select which dictionary to use by clicking the "i" beside the speaker icon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12