Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes 7.4, iPhone and you... Problems? or No?

Exclamation iTunes 7.4, iPhone and you... Problems? or No?
    Erica on Tuaw reports that people have been having problems once they upgrade to the new iTunes 7.4, ie. jailbreak doesnt work, ringtones are gone, etc. If you HAVE updated and have problems, please post here when and with what you initially hacked your iphone with, ie. jailbreak or ifuntastic, etc. Also if you HAVE updated and have no problems, also please post.

I probably like most have not even updated my iphone to 1.0.2 but will do so once all these new updates come out like, itunes wifi music store, etc. I would like to know how these problems are cause, so that we may better understand it and hopefully fix and prevent further problems.

Jailbreak refuses to work for me I get an illegal instruction error

have the same thing. Tried downgrading to 7.32.6 still having the same problem jailbreak just crashes

Thanks

Well, I'm doing ok...sync'd...updated iTunes...sync'd.
    ssh is fine, iPHUC is fine.
    phone is running 1.02 since it came out, broke it out with jailbreak1.0 after the 1.02 restore. My ringtunes which were installed with scp are still there. I've not done much to the phone in the last few weeks...waiting to see which of the new generation super utilities wins out.
    The iTunes update/sync threw down some new content into the iPhone, I ran "find / -ctime 0", I'll post the interesting part of the output in a moment.

After looking thru the find output, it looks like the following is the only interesting portion...
    /private/var/root/Media
    /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control
    /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/Artwork
    /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/Artwork/ArtworkDB
    /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/Ringtones
    /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes
    /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/Ringtones.plist
    /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB
    /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/iTunesPrefs
    Last edited by 0solvent; 2007-09-07 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I still use Solaris

after restore jailbrake and ibrickr no longer work... Anyone found a work around?

After updating to iTunes 7.4 at home, I had issues were the phone would no longer sync. iTunes would just say syncing and nothing would happen. I could cancel the sync on the phone side but iTunes usually then froze.

After poking around I found:
    CDocuments and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple\Installer Cache
    This contains all the Mobile Device Support files. I ran the latest one that came with 7.4 and clicked uninstall.

Then I ran the previous installer that came with iTunes 7.3, Apple Mobile Device Support 1.0.2.12

I am now using iTunes 7.4 with the 7.3 Mobile Device Support drivers and sync runs fine.

hacktheiphone.com is saying some users might need to do a restore on their phone using iTunes 7.3 before before upgrading iTunes to 7.4.

I know I am not going to update my iTunes at work until the next Firmware update comes out and I've tested it on my phone using the older Mobile Device Support and 7.4 at home. That way if something goes wrong I can restore the phone using 7.3 at work.

Then I will reinstall 7.4 at home with the updated Mobile Device Support files, apply AppInstaller and hack away.

-David

wow looks like apple is causing some problems...

Do you have to load itune 7.32 frist before the mod or after, I Zipped all files needed into phonedmg but got an error when execute jailbreak

pls advice

Thanks

you can read my write up on modding for windows forum, but heres the jist

i did a full restore of the phone pre-7.4 upgrade, once i have a clean iphone, i upgraded 7.4 then i syncd and docked my iphone, then i hacked my iphone. i did get a jailbreak error when doing ibrickr, but then i used my OLD set of jailbreak.exe files in my phonedmg folder and when i was in restore mode (yellow triangle) i docked and ran jailbreak manually from my phonedmg directory, just like the old days, and unlocked like a charm, ibrickr works, and winscp works, etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arthursdomain View Post
    you can read my write up on modding for windows forum, but heres the jist

i did a full restore of the phone pre-7.4 upgrade, once i have a clean iphone, i upgraded 7.4 then i syncd and docked my iphone, then i hacked my iphone. i did get a jailbreak error when doing ibrickr, but then i used my OLD set of jailbreak.exe files in my phonedmg folder and when i was in restore mode (yellow triangle) i docked and ran jailbreak manually from my phonedmg directory, just like the old days, and unlocked like a charm, ibrickr works, and winscp works, etc.
    old school never fails

Purchased phone Sept.1st, found this website & began hacking away Sept 2nd (lol),Upgraded to 7.4 yesterday (sept.7) everythings fine so far I rip'd a dvd this morning and it synced right over, I ran jailbreak just to see if it would find the phone and it still had an establishment..ringtones are still present (only show up in phone>settings>ringtones..etc. not in itunes, the itunes ringtone tab is empty) btw I used jailbreak & cmd prompt to upload the tones not ibrickr. Maybe im lucky or naybe because I havent done any newer mods since the upgrade but so far so good. *fingers crossed*

Everything is still working fine for me. Sync OK, Jailbreak OK, WinSCP OK, Manzana OK. iBriker OK.

Default iTunes 7.4
    Im on a Pc and have updated to itunes 7.4- On my friends brand new phone I updated the iphone software to 1.02 first then ran jailbreak- worked first time. Installed the SSh kit, then installed installer app. Then ran iBricker to add some ringtones... So everything seems to work ok for me.

You guys like the 2 dollar ringtones so much that you HAVE to update? What is with you guys

i synced with 7.3, restored, then upgraded to 7.4, and resynced. used the newest version of apptap installer and installed the ssh app. was able to use ithemer, winscp, iringtoner no problems at all!

I have he same problem.
    Weard thing is is that the new apptapp works just fine just nothing else
    Quote Originally Posted by djkinetic View Post
    Jailbreak refuses to work for me I get an illegal instruction error

I am getting problems when I try to upgrade using Dev Team Jailbreak 1.1.1 OSX from 1.0.2 instructions and stuck in itunes dose not see my iphone what can I do anybody. thanks I am kind of a newbeeeee Thanks!!!