Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Main script execution failed

Default Main script execution failed
    OK, I read as many of the main script execution failed threads as I could and none solved my problem.

I have a 1.1.3 phone that was restored fresh, then jailbroken with ziphone. Installer worked fine to install about 30 apps, and then one day I get this. I can't uninstall or install anything without getting main script execution failed. I've tried clearing the queue to no avail. It's been happening for 4 days straight so I'm having major installer withdrawals. Anybody have a clue?

SSH into your iPhone and enter:

chmod +s /Applications/Installer.app/Installer

Worked for me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FoneWeasel For This Useful Post:

asi (2008-03-11)

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

I only get this when i try to download iPhysics or any iPhysics level packs, i downloaded BigBoss' Iphysics fix but now i cant download iPhysics at all
    iLive an iLife

I get it on every single program. Could one of the plist in the installer folder have gotten messed up and needs to be replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by FoneWeasel View Post
    SSH into your iPhone and enter:

chmod +s /Applications/Installer.app/Installer

Worked for me.
    Worked. Thanks

Refresh your sources in Installer then install Community Sources v3.6

Quote Originally Posted by likwidfuzion View Post
    Refresh your sources in Installer then install Community Sources v3.6
    I already have 3.6 community sources. I went ahead and uninstalled them and re-installed them. It let me do that, but still can't update or install any app without getting main script execution failed. Ahh! I don't get it. Why can I uninstall and install the sources, but nothing else?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper44 View Post
    I already have 3.6 community sources. I went ahead and uninstalled them and re-installed them. It let me do that, but still can't update or install any app without getting main script execution failed. Ahh! I don't get it. Why can I uninstall and install the sources, but nothing else?
    Sounds like the phone may be out of space on the smaller partition. If you have the BSD subsystem and OpenSSH installed (and not turned off via BossPrefs or something similar), then you can alleviate this problem.
    SSH into the phone (password is alpine if you haven't changed it somehow) and do the following:

cp -Rp /Applications /private/var/mobile/

mv /Applications /Applications.old

ln -s /private/var/mobile/Applications /Applications

ln -s /private/var/mobile/Applications /private/var/root/Applications

rm -rf /Applications.old

After that I would logout and power the phone off then back on. What you just did was rename the original Applications directory, relocate the Applications directory to the larger partition, symbolically linked it to its original location then removed the unneeded original Applications folder. Doing a ls -al / will show a symbolic link for Applications to /private/var/mobile/Applications

That should help for main script execution failures (via disk space and the persmissions mobile has on its own directories).

Quote Originally Posted by kcrmson View Post
    Sounds like the phone may be out of space on the smaller partition. If you have the BSD subsystem and OpenSSH installed (and not turned off via BossPrefs or something similar), then you can alleviate this problem.
    SSH into the phone (password is alpine if you haven't changed it somehow) and do the following:

cp -Rp /Applications /private/var/mobile/

mv /Applications /Applications.old

ln -s /private/var/mobile/Applications /Applications

ln -s /private/var/mobile/Applications /private/var/root/Applications

rm -rf /Applications.old

After that I would logout and power the phone off then back on. What you just did was rename the original Applications directory, relocate the Applications directory to the larger partition, symbolically linked it to its original location then removed the unneeded original Applications folder. Doing a ls -al / will show a symbolic link for Applications to /private/var/mobile/Applications

That should help for main script execution failures (via disk space and the persmissions mobile has on its own directories).
    Hi there

I just did that but now i have a problem with permissions in Installer, same as said above "Insufficient permissions...run as root:wheel..."
    i checked my /private/var/mobile/Applications/Installer and the owner is actually mobile. I tried a chown -R root:wheel but it's impossible.

a clue, anyone, please

Quote Originally Posted by mamy View Post
    Hi there

I just did that but now i have a problem with permissions in Installer, same as said above "Insufficient permissions...run as root:wheel..."
    i checked my /private/var/mobile/Applications/Installer and the owner is actually mobile. I tried a chown -R root:wheel but it's impossible.

a clue, anyone, please
    Finally made it, i've just copied my back up of Installer directory on the phone to get the right owner, then did a chmod +s

But i still cannot install iToday and IPhysics, always get a main execution script error
    Last edited by mamy; 2008-06-16 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost