View Poll Results: What is the better IM client?

Voters
729. You may not vote on this poll
  • AppolloIM

297 40.74%
  • MobileChat

278 38.13%
  • Online Sites like meebo and beejive still rock

154 21.12%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ApolloIM vs. Mobile Chat

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

thinking about developing some sort of chat client, which hopefully after some beta releases will be stable. my first development....

if you are interested or want to help, send me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by macky801 View Post
    thinking about developing some sort of chat client, which hopefully after some beta releases will be stable. my first development....

if you are interested or want to help, send me a pm.

Your PMs are disabled, but it would be awesome if you made a good chat client Just make sure you have away messages shown, groups, reconnect if connection lost, a way to tell if you went link dead (buddy list shows up on phone, but you arent really online), keep alive when phone is sleeping, and full screen keyboard!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

hmm
    Last edited by macky801; 2008-01-28 at 06:56 AM.

We really need a good IM client for the iphone. The problem the other devs where having was keeping the wifi or edge connection on when the app would go to sleep, and switching back and fourth between wifi and edge would always disconnect you.
    One thing I think you could do with your im client is to make a back end server for this like the IM web site bejive uses.Bbecause when ever the iphone goes to sleep it kills the internet connection and you don't want the internet connection on all the time because it drains the battery. So you need a back end server to capture all the IM sent to you while your internet connection is down. (sidekick does this too) When it goes to sleep mode have it activate edge every minute and check for new messages with the server. It should vibrate/make sound if you get a new message. the core of the app should run as a demon on the phone, and the UI would talk to this demon which is always running and checking for message in real time when the UI is up or every minute when its in sleep mode. Also it should have a local cache on the iphone so any time you start the app it will be right where you left off in your conversation. Just some ideas
    Last edited by peteo; 2008-02-02 at 04:45 PM.

Well since Mobile Chat is showing only 1% out of all online contacts, Appolo is still better

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Is your apollo app still working? For some unknown reason it stopped working a couple of weeks back and I can't get it work anymore...

It keeps saying that it can't connect/login

I got the same problem Apollo seems broke , or MSN changed their login handshake protocall or somefin

OK, i just jailbroke on my 113, and i don't see MobileChat any more, and my Apollo isn't work. Says it can't authenticate. Whats going on?

CE0311
    This is my situation: I have a jailbroken iPhone from the US with the good ol bootloader and I'm currently running 1.1.3 using the Dev teams upgrade from 1.1.2 from the installer! But how do I get Mobile Chat or Apollo to work? Both install without any problems... I can save my log in details for ICQ and MSN but I get an error message with Apollo for both ICQ and MSN and Mobile Chat only shows the loading bar, when I connect to ICQ and nothing happens but the bar is reloading and reloading! And when I try to connect to MSN the bar stucks at 1/4 of the way and I cant use the cancel button but I can kill the app by pressing home!
    So do I need to downgrade to 1.1.2 or what? I don't know about you but I think the SDK won't bring much pleasure for us all... First we'll have to wait until there's a possibility to update to the new firmware without loosing our unlock, then I don't think the new Apps are free!!! You'll propably have to pay for apps and the developers won't submit their good apps for free to download from iTunes...

So should I downgrade or am I going to have the same problems on 1.1.2?
    y/n?

CE0311

why do neither one of the native apps have yahoo messenger?

Quote Originally Posted by burdell1 View Post
    why do neither one of the native apps have yahoo messenger?
    The library that they use (libpurple) probably doesn't support it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by vishae View Post
    Is your apollo app still working? For some unknown reason it stopped working a couple of weeks back and I can't get it work anymore...

It keeps saying that it can't connect/login
    BigBoss has a fix for this issue on 1.1.3, which also works on 1.1.4:

IM Chat 1.1.3 Fix (version 1.0)
    Fixes Apollo and Mobile Chat can't connect issues on 1.1.3

Just install his repo and you will find it.
    • On T-mobile with 2.0 with help from Pwnage 2.0

Didn't use mchat, but Apollo is totally useless since it shows only few contacts and only handful of them has nicknames displayed.
    I want my Miranda IM on my iPhone! :'(

iPhone? More like MyPhone yomommah's Avatar
    Thanks

id have to say chat is better because of save state, the sms bubbles, and the notifications.
    The only thing that apollo has is a graphics but thats all

I used to use apollo because it would allow me to connect only using EDGE but since ive updated to 1.4 i cannot connect with EDGE using either Apollo or the Mchat. am i doing something wrong?

Just use bsflite, guys.

To fix Apollo under 1.1.3 or 1.1.4:
    chmod 666 /etc/hosts

This resolved the login errors for me.

Was Apollo, up until 2.23 came out, with landscape view. Only downside is only one account can be signed in at a time, but thats fine with me as I only use one AIM account.

my apollo was working when i tried it a few weeks back after installing the 1.1.3 fix, however, when i tried it today it saids 'unable to authenticate, unable to connect' , so i tried to uninstall it and install chat instead. but whenver i tried to download chat, it gives me a download package failed error ? any help would be appreciated thanks !
    Last edited by rowong; 2008-03-23 at 04:11 AM.

anyone can help me out, problem still exists cannot login with apollo / cant download mobile chat

thanks!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast