Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MAJOR SECURITY ISSUE - BossPrefs on f/w 2.0+

Default MAJOR SECURITY ISSUE - BossPrefs on f/w 2.0+
    NOTE: I didn't see this topic posted anywhere...

We all know about the security issue at the emergency screen; An app set to double-tap will launch if one double taps at the emergency call screen (while the phone is locked). Ones' contacts, emails, etc are at risk. That's nothing compared to this 'hole'.

Under 'More' in BossPrefs, one can set the app to double tap, thus making it easier to access. It's very useful if you toggle your connections/hacks frequently. But by doing so, you are opening up your iphone completely.

Once set to double tap, lock the screen such that it requires your passcode to get back in (you may want to use the power menu on bossprefs to accomplish this if you have the phone set to require passcode after a specific interval). Now go to the emergency screen and double tap. What happens? BossPrefs launches. No big deal right? WRONG! Click the power button, and select fast respring, you are now back at the springboard, with complete, unrestricted access to the iPhone.

Setting bossprefs to double-tap compromises the iPhones security completely, for those who have your phone in hand.

Here's the deal: It's not just bossprefs- It's any app that does the 'fast respring' ie 'setting language' to get back to the springboard.

This is huge, spread the word.

HERE'S THE FIX: Install the five-icon dock from Saurik, add bossprefs to it, though you won't have such quick access, it will keep your phone secure.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

Thanks

Get a pocket. Keep phone in. Security issue averted.
    To live, you have to lie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to redcard For This Useful Post:

461am (2008-09-24)

Thanks

I concur.

Yes, and no. The point of the passcode is to keep prying eyes out. What if you lose your phone? Wouldn't you want it so the one who finds it doesn't get at your personal info? I would- but I guess I'm crazy. This is more of a forewarning than anything.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

Thanks

well if I was that worried, I'd update to 2.1,and voila, no more need to set up elaborate safety mechanisms.

All of these ridiculous security "threats" have been beaten to death. Only about 3% of the iphone population gives a damn about them (Yes, that is a completely made up statistic that I just pulled out of my ***). Most people don't even passcode their phone, which would make all of the nonsense you just posted irrelevant because the "prying eyes" could just use the slide to unlock feature.

This is huge, spread the word.
    No.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

If you was a smilie what would you be????

Please choose from the below contendents

Make you own visit this link.

http://www.modmyi.com/siggen/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper44 View Post
    All of these ridiculous security "threats" have been beaten to death. Only about 3% of the iphone population gives a damn about them (Yes, that is a completely made up statistic that I just pulled out of my ***). Most people don't even passcode their phone, which would make all of the nonsense you just posted irrelevant because the "prying eyes" could just use the slide to unlock feature.

No.
    I'm sorry, for a second there, I thought that your reply was going to actually go somewhere other than the 'I don't use it so everyone else does not too' tool approach. And instead of coming in to this thread with sand in your man-vagina, you could could wash a little better. At least then you wouldn't sound like the idiot that you are. By the way, you don't sound like that much of an aficionado of the iphone, so hows about you do us all a favor and buy a zune (and castrate yourself)

but the guy has a point, its NOT a security threat if you dont even use paslock or whatever is called :P

thread title should be changed, cause it makes people enter thinking they might have they iphone explode or something with bossprefs :P

Thanks

Thread closed, point made, discussion not going anywhere but downhill.