Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apt Backup

Default Apt Backup
    I just installed the apt backup application via cydia, and used it to backup my apps.

My question is its supposed to restore your apps if you have to restore, but how does it do this because if i were to restore this app would be gone along with all my other apps, wouldn't it?

If I'm right about it disappearing then if i SSH into the phone and save this file to my computer will it restore my apps correctly if i copy it back to the phone after a restore.

Quote Originally Posted by phatcamaro View Post
    I just installed the apt backup application via cydia, and used it to backup my apps.

My question is its supposed to restore your apps if you have to restore, but how does it do this because if i were to restore this app would be gone along with all my other apps, wouldn't it?

If I'm right about it disappearing then if i SSH into the phone and save this file to my computer will it restore my apps correctly if i copy it back to the phone after a restore.
    The way AptBackup works is that when you 'backup', you don't really backup your Cydia apps. AptBackup creates a list of your Cydia apps and next time you sync your iPhone and iTunes back it up, it'll back up also the list of Cydia apps created by AptBackup. Now, suppose you need to restore your firmware for whatever reason, you'll obviously restore a custom firmware, not a stock Apple firmware (otherwise you wouldn't be hacking your iPhone...). As soon as you restore your custom firmware, download again AptBackup from Cydia (best thing would be to have it already in your custom firmware, but I am not sure AptBackup is available for that). Then 'restore' your iTunes backup. By so doing, you will retrieve the list of Cydia apps created by AptBackup when you hit 'backup' in AptBackup. Now you disconnect from iTunes, you open again AptBackup and hit 'restore'. AptBackup will automatically re-download all those Cydia apps you had before restoring the firmware.

Although I have never done this, I have the feeling is more complicated to say it than to do it
    iPhone 2G Pwned 3.1.2
    MBP OSX 10.6.3