Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problem Backup: Windows iTunes 8 & Firmware 2.1

Default Problem Backup: Windows iTunes 8 & Firmware 2.1
    When I try to backup the iphone with iTunes 8 & Firmware 2.1 I get an error message: "iTunes could not back up the iPhone because the backup could not be saved on the computer."

I found an Apple support thread here:

Apple - Support - Discussions - iPhone backup fails with iTunes 8 ...

Some folks suggest by turning off your Antivirus it will work. That DID NOT work for me.

Others suggested completely uninstalling, removing the Apple settings folder, and reinstalling all the Apple software. That DID NOT work for me.

I could only work around the problem by disabling iTunes "backup" editing the iTunesPrefs.xml and inserting the "DeviceBackupsDisabled" key:

Windows Users: Disable iTunes backup for faster sync - iPhone News, iPhone Tips& tricks - iPhoneFreakz

Any solutions?

According to Apple, the backup only takes personal settings (not sure if this is really important):

"use iTunes to sync content on your computer (such as music, podcasts, videos, ringtones1, photos, email account settings, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks) with your iPhone or iPod touch. Syncing makes sure this content is the same on your iPhone or iPod touch and computer. You can also use iTunes to create a backup of settings and certain other information on your iPhone or iPod touch to use in case you want to restore the software on your iPhone or iPod touch or transfer this information to a different device. Backup information includes information such as mail settings, text messages, notes, call history, contact favorites, sound settings, widget settings, certain network settings, and other preferences."

Are there any alternatives for windows? I know there is a program for OSX.
    Last edited by sflamm; 2008-09-19 at 05:10 PM.

Me too i am having same problem i cant backup and i need to upgrade my iphone 3g. Please anyone help

thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Turns out it is quite a simple issue. iTunes needs to be able to read the old backup file before it can write a new one. If you upgrade iTunes, the new version may not be able to read the old backup file (Apple: didn't you test this?) Open the Preferences window, select the Devices tab, select the old backup file in the inner window, DELETE the backup file. Now, reconnect your device and backup will work normally. Or right-click your device name and do a manual backup. Steve...