Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sshing apps to application folder doesnt work any more!!

Default Sshing apps to application folder doesnt work any more!!
    SSHING APPS TO APPLICATION FOLDER DOESNT WORK ANY MORE!!

bossprefs shows it in poof
    but its not showing on the spring board
    even after respringing

i tried sshing spr moneky ball, bomberman and crash bandicoot.... made the documents folder... changed permissions... and still they dont show up... any help???

which mobileinstallation file are you guys using. You need to use the new one for 2.1

Tried that but they still aren't showing up for me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Did you download a free file from the appstore after you replaced mobileinstallation? Took me a few tries but they eventually showed up.

iPhone? More like MyPhone NArush's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrgrinch1981 View Post
    Tried that but they still aren't showing up for me.
    If you installed mobile installation 2.1 you don't shouldn't need to use ssh. Just sync the IPA (double click on it on your desktop) with itunes and they will show up.

I don't know what was changed in 2.1, but you're right, add an .app folder manually and it doesn't show up on the SpringBoard. The solution is simple; just delete /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installation.plist and reboot your phone. Any apps that were not previously showing up should now be there in all their glory.

no...

thats gonna brick your phone..

SOLVED: Install something with cydia and then all your apps will be in the springboard.

Quote Originally Posted by MustbeDrama View Post
    no...

Uh, no. Have you even tried it? I've done it several times and it works fine. All the phone does is look in the application folders and rebuild the com.apple.mobile.installation.plist, consequently adding any "invisible" apps in the process. Backup the file beforehand if you're worried, but after restarting the phone you can check the file it re-creates and it will be IDENTICAL to your backup with the exception of adding the apps that weren't previously showing up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    SOLVED: Install something with cydia and then all your apps will be in the springboard.

What did you install?
    Last edited by geefourman; 2008-09-14 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by geefourman View Post

What did you install?
    Install anything you want, for example dTunes.

The only thing that worked for my was to go into cydia and install mobile substrate again. When you click modify and then reinstall and my apps showed up. But the only problem is you have to do it each time after you add your apps. Only if you add apps later do you have to do it again. Thats what worked for me maybe it will work for you guys as well. Let me know...

Only found this by luck. I had the mobile substrate update in cydia and after updating, my apps showed up.

Give it a try....

Default the answer
    go to your phone and go to /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches

and delete the file

com.apple.mobile.installation.plist

reboot and everythign should work.. all ssh'd apps should show up now

and it your scared youll brick your phone .. its a cache file it wont do any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by MustbeDrama View Post
    no...

Actually this wont brick your phone, BUT you could get stuck at the apple logo forever if you already have a lot of apps installed. The reason for this is the time springboard takes to recreate that plist file.
    If I delete that plist, I have to disable the mobile watchdog & reboot, as my Springboard takes just over 6 minutes to recreate my plist from scratch. Because of the mobile watchdog, springboard gets reset every 2min, hence being stuck at the apple logo forever if you don't take care of the watchdog (and restore it afterwards)
    The cache file is there to prevent this from happening, so deleting it could potentially leave you stuck at the apple logo if you already had a lot of apps installed.

I have also found the easiest way to get the icons to show up on SB is to install/un-install something from Cydia - all apps then appear on SB.