Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SSH+Battery Usage Question

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Default SSH+Battery Usage Question
    I have been reading that if you keep SSH enabled on your phone and your phone bricks that you can SSH into it still and possibly fix it.

If you leave SSH enabled is there a noticeable increase in battery usage or does it have no effect on your battery?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Iv always had ssh enabled and iv not noticed a single decrease in battery life tbh..

But as for the been able to ssh on a bricked phone, someone else will have to give a answer on that one im afraid.

Make you own visit this link.

http://www.modmyi.com/siggen/index.php

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustynuts For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (2008-09-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Iv always had ssh enabled and iv not noticed a single decrease in battery life tbh..

But as for the been able to ssh on a bricked phone, someone else will have to give a answer on that one im afraid.
    Thanks for the info!

So, can anyone tell me if you can SSH into a phone that is stuck at the boot logo?

KelvinalF
    yes you can but you need to either remember your "host name" or store the session

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KelvinalF For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (2008-09-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinalF View Post
    yes you can but you need to either remember your "host name" or store the session
    Cool! I thought there was only one Host Name? Thank you for the info

I leave SSH on most always, and tested the battery life issue fairly extensively. Unless you have an active session going, I can't detect any difference in battery life. I also have my phone set to turn on SSH automatically on reboot.

This has saved me numerous times when stuck at the boot screen. In most cases, the cause of being stuck at the boot screen is a corrupted com.apple.springboard.plist, and there are a variety of ways to fix that if you can SSH into the phone. It takes a little time after rebooting before SSH will be active, I generally wait a minute or so.

As for the host name, if you phone is named "Chaos", you should be able to use:

ssh [email protected]l

to sign in.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

you can always disable it every time u turn ur phone on, and set it to auto ssh on reboot. usually a phone wont actually BRICK stuck, and you can only ssh if the phone can turn on. so a reboot will automatically enable ssh for you. incase ur worried about battery life. i leave mine on 24/7
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    I leave SSH on most always, and tested the battery life issue fairly extensively. Unless you have an active session going, I can't detect any difference in battery life. I also have my phone set to turn on SSH automatically on reboot.

This has saved me numerous times when stuck at the boot screen. In most cases, the cause of being stuck at the boot screen is a corrupted com.apple.springboard.plist, and there are a variety of ways to fix that if you can SSH into the phone. It takes a little time after rebooting before SSH will be active, I generally wait a minute or so.

As for the host name, if you phone is named "Chaos", you should be able to use:

ssh [email protected]l

to sign in.
    When I sign into WinSCP using iPhone Tunnel Suite the host name is always 127.0.0.1

This is via USB as I do not have a wifi connection. I haven't tried any other ways to sign in.

Thanks

I didn't see any battery usage overnight. I had 65% battery when I went to sleep and 65% when I woke up. I put my phone into airplane mode to disable radio comms.