Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: RiPTone 95% Done, NEED HELP. (Native ringtone creator & downloader)

Exclamation RiPTone 95% Done, NEED HELP. (Native ringtone creator & downloader)
    Here is what the program does.
    It allows you to search for iTunes Previews, and use them as ringtones.
    It also searches through Seeqpod's full mp3 database, and crops them successfully.

The problem is:
    I cannot move the m4r files from /private/var/mobile/Library/Downloads/ into /Library/*Ringtones/ (*=symlink) because the user "mobile" doesn't have permission to do this. The only way to do this now is to ssh in, and that would defeat the purpose of having a native iPhone app to crop & download the ringtones for you.

What I need:
    Someone who can write a (python script/java app/any app) that has proper permissions.

BigBoss said:
    I think [python scripts] could [move ringtones] if they are run with +a attributes. In otherwords, when your python app gets launched, that's the python interpretter. That would get root permissions with +s attributes and it should be good. You can male nice GUI apps put of python.
    What I was thinking:
    Maybe a second copy of ssh can be installed with a password only BigBoss or somebody knows. My program can gain root permissions using this (is there a sudo alternative?) and move all m4r files to /Library/*Ringtones/

If you can help me please send me a PM, or a PM Asking for my e-mail address (if you can't use google).
    Last edited by dapaintballer331; 2008-09-07 at 11:55 PM. Reason: title fix.

Cydia does it! it runs as ROOT, not mobile, the trick is just a simple 1 line shell script that runs cydia as a +s'ed code file.
    http://jpassoc.com/x -- with free itunes under the puppy!
    If I help you out, please press THANKS!

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

i would definately like to see this, hopefully someone can do it soon

I didn't mention an important part: My app is a webapp. The reason I didn't use c+xcode is primarily because ffmpeg isn't ported to the iPhones yet. That is important, because it is what my server uses to crop&convert mp3s. (Yes, the user gets to chose start time & tone duratation).

I guess this is an app request then, I will post it in development.
    I just need someone to make an app, or release a python-base+python-script+springboard icon package to move the m4rs.

if it runs in safari, you're pretty much out of luck without an extra obj c (maybe python) program to handle a custom URL!

if it runs in a webview, you may have better luck
    http://jpassoc.com/x -- with free itunes under the puppy!
    If I help you out, please press THANKS!

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

Yea, I know safari can't do it. I'm hoping someone in app requests can help. I spent a lot of time on this and I hope someone can finish it off.

Right now, the only way to do this, to to tell users:

Install MobileTermnal.
    Type:
    "sudo cp /private/var/mobile/Library/Downloads/*.m4r /Library/Ringtones/"
    Then enter your root password (if you installed openssh it is alpine, unless you changed it).
    Which is a lot for people to memorize for a friggin' ringtone
    Last edited by dapaintballer331; 2008-09-08 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I wish you the best of luck. If this gets completed this will be my favorite app ever. Something about Ringtone on Demand just makes me gleeful.

I hope you have good luck.