Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SSH via USB

Default SSH via USB
    You will need the following:
    * iPhone with OpenSSH Installed (install this via Cydia)
    * iPhone Tunnel Suite (link:http://www.makkiaweb.net/itunnel/data/its-setup20.zip)

Guide:

1. Connect iPhone to PC via USB. (Make sure iTunes recognizes it)

2. Open iPhone Tunnel Suite which you downloaded.

3. Now Click on iPhone Tunnel and a Launcher will open up.

4. Leave the Launcher (command prompt) window open.

5. Open WinSCP now. And enter Details as :

IP Address: 127.0.0.1
    User: root
    Pass: alpine
    Protocols as SCP.

6. Click Connect and you’ll be shown the iPhone’s Root System !

iPhone Tunnel Suite - Home Page
    Last edited by ipodtouchpro; 2008-09-04 at 09:33 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ipodtouchpro For This Useful Post:

ElGriton (2009-06-06), phatxskill (2009-08-13), Poseidon79 (2008-09-04), smoen02 (2008-09-06)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Awesome!!

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Great tip!!

I've been using this process for a while now, once I found out about it, and it is absolutely fabulous. Also for those of you who like the *nix command line, instead of using WinSCP, you can use PuTTY to "ssh" into your phone. Now I can do stuff **cough** at work where we are, oddly enough, NOT allowed to set up our own private network.:-)

And it's fast, too. Makes modding, moving files, etc, really easy and smooth.

Thanks for the great tip!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

great tip! I am gonna try this

iPhone? More like MyPhone ElGriton's Avatar
    Come the Apocalypse I shall be Omnipresent
    Thanks

This is fantastic thank you so much. I was really getting frustrated because I'm having wifi issues and can't change anything on my phone..
    If you're requesting icons PLEASE include the original and the correct spelling. It makes our job 10X easier. Thank you.
    If you we've helped you hit the thanks button. it makes us giggle.

thanks alot for this!, at my grandparents and they have satilite internet (uber slow!) to use ssh over wifi

edit, norton found trojan hourse, from the file in your post....
    Last edited by phatxskill; 2009-08-13 at 05:18 AM.

Thanks

sometimes antivirus software can give off false positive's, as i doubt a virus was uploaded. If your still unsure then google iPhone Tunnel Suite, or google DiskAid, which is the program i use for transferring file's to and from my iPhone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phatxskill View Post
    thanks alot for this!, at my grandparents and they have satilite internet (uber slow!) to use ssh over wifi

edit, norton found trojan hourse, from the file in your post....

How would a local wifi connection for local SSH to your iphone have any bearing on internet connections?

Anyone get this to work with 3.X and the new iTunes?
    Last edited by boxxa; 2009-08-13 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    How would a local wifi connection for local SSH to your iphone have any bearing on internet connections?

Anyone get this to work with 3.X and the new iTunes?
    If you are using this method via wifi/wireless internet, and your internet speeds are pretty slow, then it can be a pain transferring large files to and from your iPhone. Thats why its handy to have this method (via USB)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lach View Post
    If you are using this method via wifi/wireless internet, and your internet speeds are pretty slow, then it can be a pain transferring large files to and from your iPhone. Thats why its handy to have this method (via USB)

If your laptop and iPhone are connected to the same wireless access point, the internet doesnt matter. Its a pure LAN transfer. If you have a wireless B router (11 Mbps), that is your limitation between the two devices.... your internet connection has nothing to do with it.

Buy a better router that supports G (54Mbps) for faster device to device transfers internally.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    If your laptop and iPhone are connected to the same wireless access point, the internet doesnt matter. Its a pure LAN transfer. If you have a wireless B router (11 Mbps), that is your limitation between the two devices.... your internet connection has nothing to do with it.

Buy a better router that supports G (54Mbps) for faster device to device transfers internally.
    haha i'm not going to argue about that one, that seems right up your alley. I could relate to where he was coming from, as the wireless strength on my iPhone is pretty low as my router is far away, therefore it would always transfer at a slow rate or would drop out, which is why transferring files through USB is so much better .

if you dont have wifi the easiest way to get in the phone files is by using a program called ifunbox. you just plug the iphone in with the usb and you can go through the files

i use iPhoneBrowser when im on the go

I cannot get this to work nor get it to work via wifi where I enter my local ISP. Nothing seems to work. I am connected via Linksys WRTG54Router, QOS disabled. Anyone willing to help me out. I also use CuteFTP v8 Pro and this software nor CuteFTP will allow me to access my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by mastaryan View Post
    I cannot get this to work nor get it to work via wifi where I enter my local ISP. Nothing seems to work. I am connected via Linksys WRTG54Router, QOS disabled. Anyone willing to help me out. I also use CuteFTP v8 Pro and this software nor CuteFTP will allow me to access my phone.
    I had cuteftp v8.0 but the new update I told it to ignore fixed the problem! Not tried the program mentioned in this thread
    Last edited by mastaryan; 2009-08-19 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mastaryan View Post

I had cuteftp v8.0 but the new update I told it to ignore fixed the problem! Not tried the program mentioned in this thread
    iPhone tunnel suite only works with 2.2.1 or lower. Use iFunbox.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Anyone got another link? the makkiaweb seems to be down