Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need iComic HELP!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Need iComic HELP!!
    Can someone give me detailed instructions on what I need to do in order to get this to work? Any help would be great!

2G iphone v.2.0.2

I'm needing help on this too!!! I found one forum that says all you need to do is copy the .zip file to your iphone to the directory /var/root/media/comic and it would bring the list of files right up. I did this but it gives me the message "No Comic mobile".

Should I be saving it in a different location?

after writing this I tried saving to /var/mobile/media/comic and it brought my list of comics right up.
    Last edited by adrian5610; 2008-09-02 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ive done that and my comics are in program but freezes when u open the comic and cant move them around..any help on that

what file type do the comics need to be in? i have them in cbr? can i just zip that file and add it to /var/mobile/media/comic for it too work?

~*~ Ultimate icomic Thread ~*~ - iPod touch Fans forum

register and read! i'm certain you'll find your answers there

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to feelinggetsold For This Useful Post:

ghostmask (2008-09-02), studangerous (2008-09-02)

Quote Originally Posted by feelinggetsold View Post
    ~*~ Ultimate icomic Thread ~*~ - iPod touch Fans forum

register and read! i'm certain you'll find your answers there
    Thanks feelingetsold - I just registered here to drop that same link in to help people. Sorry I can't offer help here as there's no point in duplicating info - so head over to the above linky and read the first couple of posts and if you're still stuck then ask away in the thread. Enjoy
    Last edited by studangerous; 2008-09-02 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ok followed link (Thanks feelinggetsold and studangerous) worked perfectly but now that i added it i start icomic and choose my comic it kicks me out of the program everytime i click on the comic?

Try changing permissions on the Comic folder in <root>/var/mobile/Media/ to 755 and check permissions on the app folder and files inside are also 755 (tho' iSpazio's repos should set these automatically). Note again that comics need to be jpeg or png images in .zip or .cbz files - but and error here shouldn't kick you out of the app. You could also try uninstalling the app and then reinstalling or maybe try iComic instead of ComicViewer, or vice versa.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to studangerous For This Useful Post:

ghostmask (2008-09-03)

Just so it's clear for everyone, you don't zip the .cbr. The .cbr is a zip so just rename it from .cbr to .zip.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ashgotti For This Useful Post:

ghostmask (2008-09-03)

ok lol i got it to stop kicking me out of the app now. but when i push to look at comic it goes to a blank screen then just reappears on the select file screen.lol. sorry i am having a rough time with this. hopefully i can get this figured out. i changed the original .cbr file to .zip. and added it to Comic folder i created in /var/mobile/media/Comic. i changed permission on file i added to 0755 and also changed permission on folder Comic to 0755. any suggestions thanks everyone for trying to help i appreciate it.

Okay people, please. There's a great thread mentioned above where you can spend 10 minutes reading through the first 2 or 3 posts and you should have all the ammo to solve your problems. Just to clarify though, .cbr files are .rar format (thus the R) and .cbz files are .zip format (thus the Z). You must rename .cbr to .rar and unpack to a folder and then zip up this folder so that you have a zip of jpeg or png images. The program will NOT recognise any other format as it only has a zip compression engine - a rar compression engine has not yet been written for the iphone to my knowledge. DO NOT rename .cbr to .zip, it will not work. Tip: Also note that you can create folders under var/mobile/Media/Comic to better organise your comics. For those having problems with navigation in comic, there are 'invisible' buttons. Bottom left corner to page back, bottom right corner to page fwd, top left corner for back to menu. Again please read the ipodtouchfans thread linked above for more details - it seriously is all in there as that thread been running for 6 months+ and has 50k hits. Trust me Enjoy the prog and I hope you all get it up and running smoothly soon.
    Last edited by studangerous; 2008-09-03 at 09:26 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to studangerous For This Useful Post:

ghostmask (2008-09-03)

hey thanks i went through your steps and it worked perfectly. i was trying to change the cbr to zip like you said. switched it to rar and it worked. thank you for your help.

what is the different between icomic and comicviewer?

Both iComic and ComicViewer are internally similar. The original app was iComic. One of the project members, Yama, later on developed ComicViewer alongside using the iComic code. Subsequently the original iComic programmer left the project and Yama is now looking after both. ComicViewer was previously more regularly updated and thuıs better, but the latest version of iComic has taken all the 2.0+ fw updates made to ComicViewer and by all accounts is currently the more stable and functional one to use. So iComic v13 is the better version to download for now but this could change at any time when Yama updates ComicViewer.

Found the problem with comics not opening and going back to the file screen: Make sure you have fully unzipped jpegs (from whatever format you got them from) then zip the jpegs themselves into a zip folder, not the folder they're in. So for example you would have a zip file named "Watchmen.zip" and when you open(extract) that folder you would see the list of jpegs, not a folder holding them. iComic an ComicViewer won't read your comics if the zip file is just holding a folder or if the archive wasn't fully unzipped and rezipped in .zip format.
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

Quote Originally Posted by elr0y7 View Post
    Found the problem with comics not opening and going back to the file screen: Make sure you have fully unzipped jpegs (from whatever format you got them from) then zip the jpegs themselves into a zip folder, not the folder they're in. So for example you would have a zip file named "Watchmen.zip" and when you open(extract) that folder you would see the list of jpegs, not a folder holding them. iComic an ComicViewer won't read your comics if the zip file is just holding a folder or if the archive wasn't fully unzipped and rezipped in .zip format.
    this is not the case at all... you CAN have a folder inside your zipfile. I would think that your problem would have been something else... permissions or incorrect /Comic folder... check the thread at:
    Code:
    http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23759
    ..for more details and help.
    Last edited by studangerous; 2008-09-22 at 05:50 PM.

zip all image files(not folder)
    and upload to private/var/mobile/Media/Comic
    "C" must be capital
    Last edited by raphaelj; 2008-09-23 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by studangerous View Post
    this is not the case at all... you CAN have a folder inside your zipfile. I would think that your problem would have been something else... permissions or incorrect /Comic folder... check the thread at:
    Code:
    http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23759
    ..for more details and help.
    Nope, when i had them in the folder they just closed back to the file screen and when I had them all out in the zip folder they worked.
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

try as I posted, should be working fine

you cant put folder in the zip file!!!
    Last edited by raphaelj; 2008-09-23 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost