Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to release an app?

bump bump bump
    1.1.4 Winpwned ----> 2.0 Winpwned

Baseband- 04.05.04_G
    Bootloader- 3.9 (1.0.2 OOTB)
    Call In/Out - Yes/Yes
    SMS In/Out - Yes/Yes
    GPRS - Yes
    YouTube - Yes

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

vsc - the best thing to do when releasing apps is make a launch thread in the Native App Launches forum, and send me a pm when you'd like them published to Installer/Cydia.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

I was on travel this week the forum stop sending me notifications on this thread.... But I'm back now.

Are you in the US? Did this occur when daylight savings time kicked in on the 9th?

If so what occurred is that the phone switched its time properly for daylight savings time, but the event scheduled was then one hour off. When a event came due, my code checks it for sanity. The time didn't match so it dropped the event on the floor, thus nothing happened. This is a little hard to deal with as I don't have visibility (with our limited understanding of what Apple is up to) into when the daylight savings time changes.

That said I could hard code the dates into my code and handle this properly.

Quote Originally Posted by ksong12 View Post
    Hmm, I just noticed an interesting thing. It doesn't appear to be working at all for me. I had it set for 12-7, but I had never looked at it this late. Yesterday, I woke up at 6:55AM and looked at it, and interestingly, was not in Airplane mode. Any reason why?

Yes, I am in the US, but was before the 9th, I think. I haven't stared at my phone at 12AM since, so I'm not sure how it is now.
    If you like or found helpful anything I have said, please click that nice little Thanks button!

Were you on the phone at the time?

The software won't put the phone into airplane mode if there is one or more calls active.

Quote Originally Posted by ksong12 View Post
    Yes, I am in the US, but was before the 9th, I think. I haven't stared at my phone at 12AM since, so I'm not sure how it is now.

No I was not. Not sure why its not putting it into airplane mode; I just double checked all the files.
    If you like or found helpful anything I have said, please click that nice little Thanks button!

VSC, the Airplane app is really great. Thank you to you. I was wondering if you could increase the functionality so that the time to turn on and off could be increased so that it could be turned on or off at any time (with a function similar to that in Timer within Clock on the iPhone - which uses a wheel to choose the hour and minute) and to permit to turn the ringer off and vibrate on or silent on and then back to ringer on at certain times. This would be used for people who don't want their phones with the ringer on at work and so could set the time to turn the ringer to vibrate/silent in the morning and back to ringer in the afternoon (when they leave work). This was mentioned by somebody at the howardforums forum here http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...8&page=1&pp=15 , and it sounds like a great idea. Maybe it could be added as an additional option (in addition to setting the phone off and on overnight). Thank you again for a great app!

Hi VSC, your auto airplane app looks interesting. I uploaded the files to the proper directories and set permissions @ 0755. Rebooted, find the airplane icon and press it. I get white screen and nothing. Have to turn phone off to get back springboard.
    What am I doing wrong? Would like to try this app.
    Does this app mean I can set the times and shut off my phone and it'll turn on by itself or its just set airplane mode on/off on timer only.
    I was looking for an alarm type app that turns phone on @ set time.
    Thanks in advance.

Hi I am trying to test the Airplane Mode on my 1.1.4, with no success. I have placed all files at the correct locations, and 755ed the AirplaneMode @ /sbin and AutoMode @ /Applications.

I select the times, Enable and SAVE with no problem. But when the time comes (even 2-3 hours after) it never goes to Airplane mode.

I did a "chown root" to all the files today, and will wait to test again tonight....

Also it would be nice to be able to set the particular days in the week that this should be enabled. For example I would not want this enabled Friday and Saturday night, as I go out, and need to speak with friends until late at night. But Sunday - Thursday nights I would, as I sleep early to go to the office the next day.

Thanx
    Locked 1.1.1 --> Jailbroken + Unlocked 1.1.1 --> Upgraded to 1.1.2 --> Jailbroken + Unlocked 1.1.2 --> Upgraded to 1.1.3 --> Jailbroken + Unlocked 1.1.3 --> Upgraded to 1.1.4 --> Jailbroken + Unlocked 1.1.4 with zIphone --> Jailbroken + Unlocked 2.0.2 with QuickPwn
    Network - Vodafone GR
    Call In/Out - Working!
    Youtube - Done!
    SMS/Edge/GPRS/Wi-Fi - Working!

vsc, please look here for suggestions for modifications to the auto airplane app: http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35888 . I made some suggestions in this thread as well. We look forward to seeing some of these suggestions implemented to make this app very useful. Thank you!

There was code in the release that is part of my personal version and that should not have leaked into the release version. Basically if an iPhone alarm was set on your phone, airplane mode would not be enabled. (Don't ask...)

Refer to the first post in this thread for the an updated version that I just tested. Please give it a try.

I'm working on updating the application to accommodate many of the requests cited in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    Hi I am trying to test the Airplane Mode on my 1.1.4, with no success. I have placed all files at the correct locations, and 755ed the AirplaneMode @ /sbin and AutoMode @ /Applications.

I select the times, Enable and SAVE with no problem. But when the time comes (even 2-3 hours after) it never goes to Airplane mode.

I did a "chown root" to all the files today, and will wait to test again tonight....

Also it would be nice to be able to set the particular days in the week that this should be enabled. For example I would not want this enabled Friday and Saturday night, as I go out, and need to speak with friends until late at night. But Sunday - Thursday nights I would, as I sleep early to go to the office the next day.

Thanx
    Normally when you get a white screen on starting an app it is because the iPHone can't execute the program. Recheck the permissions on "/Applications/AutoMode.app/AutoMode" to ensure that it is 755.

What version of the phone firmware are you running? Currently the app only support 1.1.3 and 1.1.4, but that is mostly related to the relocation of files on these versions of the OS. The app was written for 1.0.2, but I no longer support the earlier versions and given that I don't have a test platform (e.g. my phone is on 1.1.4).

The app simply turns the phone's airplane mode on and off at the set hour. To be honest it is really simple to turn the phone on at a set hour. That was a "bug" that I took out of the code a month ago!

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Hi VSC, your auto airplane app looks interesting. I uploaded the files to the proper directories and set permissions @ 0755. Rebooted, find the airplane icon and press it. I get white screen and nothing. Have to turn phone off to get back springboard.
    What am I doing wrong? Would like to try this app.
    Does this app mean I can set the times and shut off my phone and it'll turn on by itself or its just set airplane mode on/off on timer only.
    I was looking for an alarm type app that turns phone on @ set time.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by vsc; 2008-04-05 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I am trying to get Reminder working and have done the following on my 1.1.4 jailbroken phone but it simply won't work:-

1. Installed Ulctl from the installer
    2. Downloaded the Reminder.zip from here:
    3. Instal OpenSSH on iPhone
    4. Installed Winscp on PC
    5. Connected to iPhone using WinSCP and could browse folders
    6. Copied the following files from the zip file directory (Reminder\Icons\Taskbar Notifier Replacement Icons):-

Default_CALLT.png
    Default_EMAILT.png
    Default_SMST.png
    FSO_CALLT.png
    FSO_EMAILT.png
    FSO_SMST.png

to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app

and the com.*******.plist files to /Library/LaunchDaemons

I have copied the AudioReminders, not the IconOnly ones

7. Restarted my iPhone
    8. Ran Ulctl and clicked on each of the .plist files and selected load -w

Note: the email plist was already loaded but the SMS and Phone only load until I have a call or SMS then they go red. Or if I restart the phone again they are red when it first starts...

I don't get any notifications for phone call or SMS. I haven't tried emails.

Here is a copy of my plist for sms reminders:-

==============
    PHP Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
        <key>Label</key>
        <string>com.smsReminder</string>
        <key>OnDemand</key>
        <true/>
        <key>ProgramArguments</key>
        <array>
            <string>/sbin/Reminder</string>
            <string>-s</string>
            <string>-r</string>
            <string>Harp</string>
        </array>
        <key>StandardErrorPath</key>
        <string>/dev/null</string>
        <key>StandardOutPath</key>
        <string>/dev/null</string>
        <key>UserName</key>
        <string>mobile</string>
        <key>WatchPaths</key>
        <array>
            <string>/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db</string>
        </array>
    </dict>
    </plist>
    ==================

The tone is set Harp but it doesn't have .m4r on the end - should it? My ringtones do existing in the correct folder..

I feel like I must be missing something or have done something wrong.

Think there must be something with this part of the .plist for SMS and Phone because if I remove the line:-

PHP Code:
    <string>/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db</string
    the ultctl automatically loads the com.SMSReminder.com

and if i leave this line in then its red and has to be loaded each time I start the phone.

I also get this if I leave the above line in but blank out the line after the Username, for example
    PHP Code:
    <string>mobile</string

I have also check the location of the sms.db and I have one in the following locations

/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db

and

/private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db

Does anyone have any ideas as I simply cannot get this working.....

HELP..

Thanks
    Mark

Immediately I have to admit that I don't see anything obvious.

The ringtone file name doesn't include the extension (e.g. .m4r).

You can test Reminder from the command line. With respect to SMS try the following,

/sbin/Reminder -s -r Harp

If you have no SMS messages unread then you should get the following,

# ./Reminder -s -r Harp
    Reminder started
    2008-05-01 18:24:10.911 Reminder[792:d03] /Library/Ringtones/Harp.m4r
    The program just exits without doing anything but reporting that it found the ringtone file.

On the other hand if there is one or more unread SMS messages you should get,

# ./Reminder -s -r Harp
    Reminder started
    2008-05-01 18:25:01.190 Reminder[799:d03] /Library/Ringtones/Harp.m4r
    Found unread SMS message
    Found unread SMS message
    Playing ringtone
    Count = 3
    Found unread SMS message
    Playing ringtone
    Count = 2
    Found unread SMS message
    Playing ringtone
    Count = 1
    #
    In this case the program sets the icon and plays the ringtone file periodically.

Note that Reminder must be set executable. If not chmod +x /sbin/Reminder

Reminder should look like the following...

# ls -al /sbin/Reminder
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 24904 Apr 8 20:37 /sbin/Reminder

UserName set to mobile is required for version 1.1.4 as Reminder needs to run as user mobile. Thus this needs to say in the plist.

The path to the sms database is as you cited. Consider the following. Note that the database file is owned by mobile.

# ls -al /var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db
    -rw-r--r-- 1 mobile mobile 13312 May 1 18:24 /var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db
    Try out running Reminder from the command line and report back the results.

Quote Originally Posted by mdavenport View Post
    I am trying to get Reminder working and have done the following on my 1.1.4 jailbroken phone but it simply won't work:-

[snip]

Note: the email plist was already loaded but the SMS and Phone only load until I have a call or SMS then they go red. Or if I restart the phone again they are red when it first starts...

The tone is set Harp but it doesn't have .m4r on the end - should it? My ringtones do existing in the correct folder..

I feel like I must be missing something or have done something wrong.

Think there must be something with this part of the .plist for SMS and Phone because if I remove the line:-

PHP Code:
    <string>/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db</string
    the ultctl automatically loads the com.SMSReminder.com

and if i leave this line in then its red and has to be loaded each time I start the phone.

I also get this if I leave the above line in but blank out the line after the Username, for example
    PHP Code:
    <string>mobile</string

I have also check the location of the sms.db and I have one in the following locations

/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db

and

/private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db

Does anyone have any ideas as I simply cannot get this working.....

HELP..

Thanks
    Mark

Ok, so I've installed Terminal onto my iPhone and so far ive done the following:-

Ran from Terminal:-

PHP Code:
    $ /sbin/Reminder --r Harp 
    Results were:-

PHP Code:
    Reminder started
    -05-02 09:59:53.149 Reminder [202:d03] /Library/Ringtones/Harp.m4r

I didn't hear a sound though, should I have?

Will continue to do the remaining tests and feed back results.

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by mdavenport; 2008-05-02 at 11:03 AM.

So at this point it would appear that Reminder didn't find one or more messages in the SMS database that are unread.

Ok, so I've installed Terminal onto my iPhone and so far ive done the following:-

Ran from Terminal:-

PHP Code:
    $ /sbin/Reminder --r Harp 
    Results were:-

PHP Code:
    Reminder started
    -05-02 09:59:53.149 Reminder [202:d03] /Library/Ringtones/Harp.m4r

I didn't hear a sound though, should I have?

Will continue to do the remaining tests and feed back results.

Thanks
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by vsc View Post
    So at this point it would appear that Reminder didn't find one or more messages in the SMS database that are unread.
    Hi,

It seems to be working ok now however I have a couple of questions if you are ok to answers:-

1. When editing the plist files in windows, I have been using Notepad but the file appears on one line, not broken down as if carriage returns are missing but when viewing in another editor it appears ok. What do you recommend using to edit the files in windows?

2. I have set the interval to 60 seconds. Does this mean my phone may lock before it has time to sound?

3. Also, is there a way to delay the first notification your app does? I would like it to sound for example, 60 secs (my interval time) after the standard iPhone notification. Is this possible?

4. I use Ulctl to load -w the plists, however is these seem to always load automatically when the phone starts. Is there a way to prevent this so I load it when I want to?

5. Is there a way to maintain 2 different SMS plists. I do callout for work so when I am on call I would like really loud and long frequent notification so it wakes me in the night, but when I am not on call I would like a standard bleep bleep periodically - is there a way to do this?

6. When does the call alerts stop as I have received a missed call and have looked who it was but my phone continues to alert me until I clear call lists?

Great app. Just what I have been looking for.

It would be fantastic if it had a GUI to control settings etc...

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by mdavenport; 2008-05-03 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I appear to have found a bug in the Reminder application. Basically today I received an SMS and it started reminding me until I acknowledged it as expected.

I later received another SMS to which the application never continued to alert me. I have since received several more and it appear to be no longer working.

I have also found out that if I run from terminal '/sbin/Reminder -s -r Harp' when there is a message waiting to be read it does fire off the application and it starts alerting me.

It appear that after the first automatic alert it stops working but not necessarily the application, its more like ulctl stops talking to it..

Unloading it from ulctl -w and reloading it doesn't appear to work. It can be fixed by me restarting my phone but this isn't really convienent for me.

Do you have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by vsc View Post
    I have one, perhaps two applications I have been working on that are ready for release. But that said I have not been able to find documentation for the installer that defines all of the script commands, etc.

Basically how does a developer get a program packaged for release? Does the developer build the package, or does someone who is hosting perform this task?

For reference the first application puts the phone into airplane mode on a user defined schedule (e.g. nighttime). A preference application and daemon are employed. The magic here is getting the phone to wake from sleep to execute something.

The second application implements extended notifications for SMS, etc beyond the 20 seconds the phone stays awake on a wake up event (e.g. arrival of a SMS). In short the code exploits what was learned in the first application.

Does anyone the best method to feedback issues to this developer as I seem to have stopped receiving feedback and want to ensure I go through the correct method of contacting them?

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by mdavenport; 2008-05-08 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

===========================

HELLO DEVELOPER of REMINDER ---- ARE YOU THERE?

I have been experiencing problems with your application and need some help...

Are you doing any support on this product or what????

See below.

Hi,

It seems to be working ok now however I have a couple of questions if you are ok to answers:-

1. When editing the plist files in windows, I have been using Notepad but the file appears on one line, not broken down as if carriage returns are missing but when viewing in another editor it appears ok. What do you recommend using to edit the files in windows?

>iPhone files use Unix line terminators (e.g. linefeed only) while Windows uses carriage return and linefeed. On windows I use Slickedit, but that costs $'s.

2. I have set the interval to 60 seconds. Does this mean my phone may lock before it has time to sound?

> Should still do its thing if the phone is locked. That said what the software does is prevent the phone from falling asleep (e.g. processor asleep) until the SW is done playing the ringtones.

3. Also, is there a way to delay the first notification your app does? I would like it to sound for example, 60 secs (my interval time) after the standard iPhone notification. Is this possible?

4. I use Ulctl to load -w the plists, however is these seem to always load automatically when the phone starts. Is there a way to prevent this so I load it when I want to?

> Then you don't want the "-w" when use do the load.

5. Is there a way to maintain 2 different SMS plists. I do callout for work so when I am on call I would like really loud and long frequent notification so it wakes me in the night, but when I am not on call I would like a standard bleep bleep periodically - is there a way to do this?

> You could craft two different plists with different configurations. Just don't load both at the same time. I'm not sure what will happen, but nothing good will come of it if you do....

6. When does the call alerts stop as I have received a missed call and have looked who it was but my phone continues to alert me until I clear call lists?

> Right now you need to have zero calls reported as missed by the iPhone database.

Great app. Just what I have been looking for.

It would be fantastic if it had a GUI to control settings etc...

> To be honest writing the GUI is more difficult, or at least time consuming.

Thanks
    Mark
    This suggests that the instance of Reminder that was kicked off for the first SMS message hung up and didn't cleanly terminate. I'll try to reproduce this ASAP, but I have to be honest. I'm traveling part of this week and might be on travel all next week. And the only place I have the development tools are on my Mac at home.

In other words I'll do my best to address this.

I appear to have found a bug in the Reminder application. Basically today I received an SMS and it started reminding me until I acknowledged it as expected.

I later received another SMS to which the application never continued to alert me. I have since received several more and it appear to be no longer working.

I have also found out that if I run from terminal '/sbin/Reminder -s -r Harp' when there is a message waiting to be read it does fire off the application and it starts alerting me.

It appear that after the first automatic alert it stops working but not necessarily the application, its more like ulctl stops talking to it..

Unloading it from ulctl -w and reloading it doesn't appear to work. It can be fixed by me restarting my phone but this isn't really convienent for me.

Do you have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
    Mark

Does anyone the best method to feedback issues to this developer as I seem to have stopped receiving feedback and want to ensure I go through the correct method of contacting them?

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Mark
    This message is the first notification I received from the size out of your last three messages. Simply put this site's notification system sucks.

I don't have time to look at this thread daily so perhaps do a private message in the future if I don't appear to be listening to this thread. The private messages appear to send out notifications.

===========================

HELLO DEVELOPER of REMINDER ---- ARE YOU THERE?

I have been experiencing problems with your application and need some help...

Are you doing any support on this product or what????
    Last edited by vsc; 2008-05-13 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks for your reply. I am still getting the problems where it just stops working.

This can be sometimes after having it sync'd with iTunes but I have also seen it happen without following a sync.

Is there anymore debugging I can do to help you identify the root cause?

I have also PM'd this message.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Regards
    Mark

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast