Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: You've Got Mail

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default You've Got Mail
    Can someone tell me the source I need to add to installer and/or the name of the package that has the old AOL "You've Got Mail" sound that can be used with customize to change systems sounds.

Thanks, I am sure many know this, but I can not find anywhere.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Do you know it exists? As in, you know its on an installer source? You can always just download the file on the net and SSH it. just put it into a sound pack that you already have and it will show up in customize.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

I do remember seeing it on the ModMyI downloads section, but I've never seen it on any installer source.
    If you like or found helpful anything I have said, please click that nice little Thanks button!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ksong12 For This Useful Post:

emilio3645 (2008-04-26)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by batter View Post
    Can someone tell me the source I need to add to installer and/or the name of the package that has the old AOL "You've Got Mail" sound that can be used with customize to change systems sounds.

Thanks, I am sure many know this, but I can not find anywhere.
    It's one of the Customize Sound Themes on installer, I think under Jpolynice, but don't quote me on that.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default You Got Mail
    Yes I know it exists. I had on my 1.1.2 iPhone with customize, but can't remember source.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

By exists I simply meant are you sure you got it on instller. Anyway, seriously less work in my opinion to just manually SSH it to your phone than to keep waiting for someone to tell you where it is
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Customizing System Sounds in 1.1.3
    I finally figured out how to do this, by doing a lot of reading on the web and running with what sziklassy said, but it is more complicated than just SSH into your iPhone and replacing the sound file.

STEP 1: Need to download the sound(s) you want to use. I found the AOL ones I was looking for on this site under the downloads.

STEP 2:After you download THE file(s) you have to convert it to a .aiff. I used a program called switch that I found online.

STEP 3: I then saved the file as the name of the file I wanted to replace on my iphone, so I saved You Got Mail.wav as new-mail.caf.

STEP 4: SSH into your phone and locate the file you want to use. I had to left click on file and rename again and delete the .aiff that was still attached.

STEP 5: Then on your phone locate /system/library/audio/UIsounds.

STEP 6: Rename the new-mail.caf on my iPhone to new-mail.caf.bak (A trick I learned from BlackWolf when changing my extended Prefs), so I can always delete my file and then drop off the .bak on the original file and get back to the original setting. You can delete if you want, I was just being safe.

STEP 7: Copy the sound file I wanted onto my iPhone.

STEP 8: I HAD TO TURN OFF MY IPHONE AND TURN IT ON BEFORE THE SOUND I CHANGED WOULD WORK.

Not to tough, but had to research on several other forums to find out how to do and figure out which file on iPhone was attached to the sound I wanted to change, where the files were located and figure out how to get the file into the correct format. I DID NOT put new sounds into customize program, because I am not sure if it is working properly with 1.1.3. I actually replaced the system sound file on the iPhone.

If you need help post a message here and I will try to help as my post is an overview and someone may need a little more detailed information on one step or another.

If this helps don't forget to give me a thanks for spending my Sunday figuring out how to do this so you don't have to spend 6 hours doing it.
    Last edited by batter; 2008-02-17 at 10:08 PM. Reason: adding info. about not using customize program

9. The Following User Says Thank You to batter For This Useful Post:

soloredd (2008-05-14)

LOL , ever watch the movie Eurotrip and every time the guy got email it said "Mail Mutha Fuc*er" ?

Goes in /system/library/audio/UIsounds

Back up your old or just leave it on the phone and rename to new-mail.caf.bak or something.

Preview of what it will sound like :

Here

Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by r00t4rd3d View Post
    LOL , ever watch the movie Eurotrip and every time the guy got email it said "Mail Mutha Fuc*er" ?

Goes in /system/library/audio/UIsounds

Back up your old or just leave it on the phone and rename to new-mail.caf.bak or something.

Preview of what it will sound like :

Here

Lol. This has been my default sms alert on all my phones since the movie was out.

Quote Originally Posted by batter View Post
    Yes I know it exists. I had on my 1.1.2 iPhone with customize, but can't remember source.
    Me, too. Have you found the source now?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ok ok ok. I have this, found it randomly. It is on Customize.

Go to Customize>Theme Browser>All Themes>S>Sound_Set

"You've Got Mail" sound is in there. Also has "Welcome" for unlocking and "Goodbye" for locking, also has "You've Got Voice Mail"

Couldn't figure it out... No sound plays when I get new mail now..

I just change the new-mail.aif to new-mail.caf? I don't think I'm clear on that part..

Your procedure is very clear but does not change on my phone. PLEASE HELP.

Thanks you advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    It's one of the Customize Sound Themes on installer, I think under Jpolynice, but don't quote me on that.
    I got mine from Customize 2.0.
    8g iphone 1.1.4
    Win XP

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

the "mail mother f**ker" can be found on customise 2.0 under "M" > "MAILMFER"

Not sure if it works though

I followed your instructions, sometimes it makes a sound "You've got mail" sometimes it does not. Can you let me know what I did wrong? Thanks.!