Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Endless Reboot, SpringBoard "PurpleSystemEventPort" port, 1103 unknown error

Angry Endless Reboot, SpringBoard "PurpleSystemEventPort" port, 1103 unknown error
    After installing some apps on 113 via the installer Queue. I tapped the home button. The phone is now in endless reboot stuck at the apple screen.

I can ssh into the phone and browse around. You can't launch any app in /Applications as it just hangs and doesnt ever load.

I tried via ssh and putty:
    cd /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app
    then
    ./SpringBoard

and I get this error
    54: ABORT: Unable to register "PurpleSystemEventPort" port, 1103 unknown error code
    zsh: abort ./SpringBoard
    Any ideas whats going on? I don't want to do a full restore. There has to be a fix for this.

Thanks to everyone!

I second this problem, have had it happen twice and am currently experiencing it now.

I've tried replacing the springboard file inside springboard.app but that didnt help.

My guess is that theres something else running thats preventing the springboard from starting up.

Last time this happend I removed all non-apple launch deamons, but that didnt help

UPDATE:
    In /Library/LaunchDaemons/ I have:
    com.amcgregor.lighttpd.plist
    com.core.afp.plist
    com.core.bonjour.afp.plist
    com.mexens.navizondaemon.plist
    org.c99.Scrobbled.plist
    com.openssh.sshd.plist

After removing all but com.openssh.sshd.plist and rebooting the phone it worked. After the iPhone restarted it said "iphone is activated" and worked fine. I'm trying by process of elimination to determine the evil plist that causes the problem

UPDATE2:
    I tried putting the other plists back 1by1 and still no boot up. After rebooting with only the SSH plist there, I get the following:
    2008-02-13 11:55:15.396 SpringBoard[67:d03] lockdown says the device is: [Activated], state is 2
    2008-02-13 11:55:15.415 SpringBoard[67:d03] lockdown says we've previously registered: [1], state is 1

Something very strange is going on
    Last edited by shaiss; 2008-02-13 at 08:55 PM.

I've been sitting with this since the 113 upgrade. After FIVE restores I've finally figured out what was happening. Unlike with the previous firmware, Springboard (I'm assuming) is checking the app that you installed as you are reloading springboard. If, for some reason, there is a conflict, springboard doesn't reload and you get the endless spinning thingie. A good example is the app Waves. It has a daemon in it, and that seems to be a problem with the permissions on 113.
    All you have to do to get out of that is to ssh into the phone and delete the app that you just installed. Springboard will then load the 'slide to unlock' screen, and you're good to go again. No need to restore. Just wish I found this five restores ago!

I just had the same thing happen again. This time I only installed few apps at a time. I'm still I installed a couple of apps. after getting stuck at the apple logo I ssh'd into the phone removed evolutionRGB and everythings back to working! Im still checking to see if theres any other apps that cause this problem

UPDATE: Apollo and mColloq also causes this endless reboot

Odd thing, I've tried some other apps and the same thing happens. I'm not quite sure whats going on
    Last edited by shaiss; 2008-02-19 at 06:13 PM.

After you delete an app and springboard resumes, how many icons do you have showing on the springboard? 72?

not sure where you got 72 from. But when it resumes my normal icon set appears with everything working as normal

But how many icons do you have? Mine does it at 72 icons.

Interesting...on my phone the limit is 79. Not icons, but applications. Webclips don't count, but Apps that launch URLSs do count. Hidden applications also count. If I go over that limit, the phone goes into the endless Springboard loop until I delete enough apps to bring it under the limit.

I have 77 apps including the default iphone apps, 5 categories and the apps in them.

79 if you include the 2 webclips.

Is there a limit on the # of apps installable?

I found the thread that discuss this problem
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...t=29414&page=3

Last edited by shaiss; 2008-02-20 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

In short: there is an app limit on v113. Delete some apps & you're ok.

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

I think this may have something to do with the installer queue conflicting with summerboard. If you queue up too many apps to install summerboard is unable to refresh all the apps and it crashes. Try installing apps one by one and see if it happens again.

this happens when an app loads BEFORE springboard. then springboard can't load.

It's the fault of the custom launchDaemons

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

forgive my ignorance; but, what is a custom LaunchDeamon; and, can it be fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by desepticon View Post
    I think this may have something to do with the installer queue conflicting with summerboard. If you queue up too many apps to install summerboard is unable to refresh all the apps and it crashes. Try installing apps one by one and see if it happens again.
    I dont think its Installer related...it has happened to me when I've manually installed via SSH

Mine started rebooting endlesly after installing Customize. Had to delete it via SSH. After that iPhone came to life.
    Installed Customize again, just to make sure it was Customize to blame and it happened again
    Customize should run on 1.1.4 without a glitch, right?

-V-O-Y-A-G-E-R-:
    Just to be certain you know--- you must have Summerboard v3.2 installed with 1.1.4 or there is a limit to the number of applications that can be installed.

So your test doesn't really prove Customize is to blame. (It works fine for me on 1.1.4)