Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What is the best ebook reader you have tried???

Default What is the best ebook reader you have tried???
    Since my upgrade to 2.01 - I have yet to find an awesome ebook reader.

The best one thus far was ruBooks - but since it has not been ported to 2.0 - does anyone know of a decent replacement?

I am looking for txt/rtf/doc/pdf support with finger slide movement (like rubooks).

Does it exist?

~above~

It depends. Each ebook reader has its drawbacks. I think Stanza might be the only one that reads PDFs and it converts them. (I could be wrong about this). Zac Bedell's Bookshelf App is the one that I use because it does read txt and htmls (I think it reads RTFs but not PDFS). The main benefit for Bedell's program is that you can set up a personal bookshelf on a computer that is always connected to the internet and access all your ebooks from that computer anywhere you have cell service.

It's a great, great feature.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to da_jane For This Useful Post:

aboveliquidice (2008-08-27)

I use Bookshelf as well. If you have lots of books, Bookshelf is the best due to it's "Shelfserver" that da_jane was referring to. It will let you point to folders that have books and then from the phone download those folders in part or in their entirety. It converts the books on the fly for reading on Bookshelf. iPhone BookShelf - Welcome has info on currently supported formats.

As a reader it's good but has some work to do still. All in all it works great, but isn't perfect. It "chunks" books so that you can, literally, read any size book (since it loads chunks) and that also means books load FAST. However it also means you don't have a seamless scrolling through the book, but Zak is working on that as well as other enhancements.

It also has the ability to connect up to other shelf servers on the web, such as the one the Bean library implemented. That means you can log into your Webscriptions.net account and download the entire free Bean library or purchase and read non-free books. Pretty cool.

I am currently using i2reader. It seems to read txt files real well. I find it very user friendly, and the cataloging system works well for me. Have not found too many F2B books out there for it though.

Also not sure if it has been ported to 2.0 yet

MAzor