Results 1 to 15 of 15

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: A Shift In Power...

  1. #1
    Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,533
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 136 Times in 95 Posts

    Default A Shift In Power...
    Before 2.0 we had Installer as the king of package managers for the iPhone, with many people bashing Cydia, and Summerboard as the king of themes for your iPhone. Now it seems Cydia BLOWS Installer out of the water and Winterboard is so far ahead of Summerboard in terms of what it can do I honestly would not care if Installer or Summerboard were ever on my iPhone again. The tables have turned it seems....
    iLive an iLife

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life redcard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Scotchland
    Posts
    2,141
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 204 Times in 184 Posts

    Well, now you're doing exactly the same as the people that bashed Cydia.
    To live, you have to lie

  3. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life nickh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,215
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 148 Times in 118 Posts

    It seems to be like that at the moment, I have always been a fan of Cydia since its release but i dare say installer will be back in the game in the not so distant future. As for SMB looks like that has fallen in a heap, good to see Customize is back thats all I can say.

  4. #4
    Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,533
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 136 Times in 95 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Well, now you're doing exactly the same as the people that bashed Cydia.
    Am I? Your going to sit here and tell me that Installer is better than Cydia now? Im not bashing on Installer i am stating a fact
    iLive an iLife

  5. #5
    Livin the iPhone Life redcard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Scotchland
    Posts
    2,141
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 204 Times in 184 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
    Am I? Your going to sit here and tell me that Installer is better than Cydia now? Im not bashing on Installer i am stating a fact
    Who said anything about Installer being better? This is just a stupid, circular thread.

    And yeah, you seem to have totally missed the irony i was trying to convey in my first post.

    Stop being a fanboy. In a month you'll be posting 'Installer pwns Cydia!!!'
    To live, you have to lie

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to redcard For This Useful Post:

    DiPSET08 (2008-08-12)

  7. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
    Cydia BLOWS Installer out of the water and Winterboard is so far ahead of Summerboard in terms of what it can do
    That's called bashing my friend. And that's a fact. Don't harp on people for pointing out the flaws in your argument.

    And for the record, Installer didn't cause nearly as many system hangs as Cydia does. Both are good programs, and both are flawed. Neither would make it to AppStore on that basis alone.

    As for Winterboard, I installed it and got rid of it, admittedly when it first came out, because it had zero options. Can it now put a wallpaper on the springboard, remove icon names and remove the last row like Summerboard did? If so, I'll have to give it another try.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

    DiPSET08 (2008-08-12)

  9. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Panama City, FL
    Posts
    894
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 153 Times in 132 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    T Can it now put a wallpaper on the springboard, remove icon names and remove the last row like Summerboard did? If so, I'll have to give it another try.
    It can do all that and make you breakfast

  10. #8
    Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,533
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 136 Times in 95 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Who said anything about Installer being better? This is just a stupid, circular thread.

    And yeah, you seem to have totally missed the irony i was trying to convey in my first post.

    Stop being a fanboy. In a month you'll be posting 'Installer pwns Cydia!!!'

    Before 2.0 I did like Installer better than Cydia, i never said "Cydia sucks, Installer pwns!" or anything like that tho, and right now I am not bashing Installer, if i was i would say "wow Installer sucks, wtf were they thinking?" I just said as of right now Cydia is better than Installer, are you guys going to tell me it isnt? How is that bashing? Its not bashing, its stating a fact, I want Installer back to how it was just as much as the next guy but with what Cydia has to offer now I just dont see the need. And no redcard, i wont be posting here in 1 month saying "Installer pwns Cydia," have you studied my posts in recent months to find out which package manager i really like the most, waiting for me to make a thread like this and then tell me im wrong and im a fanboy? Dont talk **** and pretend you know me because you dont, ok?
    Last edited by Bernie-Mac; 2008-08-12 at 09:29 PM.
    iLive an iLife

  11. #9
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Montgomery Village, MD
    Posts
    202
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts

    Your missing one FACT here; Installer is still in it's BETA stages.

  12. #10
    Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,533
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 136 Times in 95 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by DiPSET08 View Post
    Your missing one FACT here; Installer is still in it's BETA stages.
    But when its out of beta, what is it going to do thats so amazing that cydia cant do?
    iLive an iLife

  13. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Chefanim View Post
    It can do all that and make you breakfast
    Well I installed Winterboard... again. And got rid of it... again.

    - Doesn't remove the last row of icons.
    - Only removals all icon labels, not just the ones in the dock, like summerboard did.
    - Wallpaper on the springboard has to be the same wallpaper as on the lock screen. Summerboard could show a separate wallpaper on the dock.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  14. #12
    euro just a quick tip mate gran the info.plist from saurik's default theme

    /library/themes

    Change the icon colour to White and the dock colour to transparent

    Upload the plist into the main theme folder and re-spring. TADA

    As for 3 rows, you're on 2.0 drag them over yourself lol

    EDIT

    euro also put a wallpaper.png in that folder and it will be different from lock screen
    Last edited by garevans; 2008-08-13 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  15. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    My point is that all of these things can be done with the flick of a switch in Summerboard, not editing .plist's. I can do that by myself, I don't need Winterboards help for that. Still waiting to be shown how Winterboard is "so far ahead".

    And yes, you can drag icons around in 2.0, but every time you add or upgrade an App, they fill in the missing spaces, so you have to drag them around again. Quite a hassle.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  16. #14
    ^true... moving icons suck

    and both are good... cydia/installer, winterboard/summerboard
    "Search" is your friend

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    And yes, you can drag icons around in 2.0, but every time you add or upgrade an App, they fill in the missing spaces, so you have to drag them around again. Quite a hassle.
    I hear that! I don't mind moving icons the first time, it's when you upgrade the damn things re-appear at the front, well it's the best we can do for now.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •