Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Advice on RSS viewer

Default Advice on RSS viewer
    Got hacked iphone.
    What's the best RSS news viewer for iphone.
    Have tried several but none seem to give what I need.
    Just want one that will show latest news from several feeds, mixed, latest at the top, auto refresh so I can keep it on the screen and any updates refresh automatically and I can see latest stuff as it comes in.
    Any advice appreciated.

Just curious, which ones have you tried?

I only know of one that's available.

There really isn't a good one yet.....I wish there was one similar to Spb Insight for Pocket PCs. that one is just about perfect....

Default Best RSS Reader is via Safari
    The only native RSS reader that I know of done by Dallas Brown. It isn't that great. Many feeds are not optimized, and it doesn't have a great interface: lack of subfolders, and the OPML importing is weak: most of my feeds weren't imported. I didn't like it.

The two best that I know of are ONLINE RSS readers: Google and Newsgator.

If you have a mac, I highly suggest Newsgator, because it SYNCS with your Mac computer(s) using the NetNewsWire application. It is the best RSS reader on the Mac, and it will sync with the online servers, thus will be in sync when you load Newsgator iPhone web app. It has a decent interface once you get used to it, but two things I don't like about it: Since some RSS feeds are partial feeds, you have to click on the actual site, and Newsgator doesn't optimize the sites for iPhone viewing, which Google Reader does. Other thing: you view feeds via subfolders or clicking each feed; you can't view one page that shows ALL unread articles, which again, Google Reader does.

Or you can use Google Reader. It optimizes the pages, and it has a good interface, though not as advanced as Newsgator's. I weighed my pluses and minuses, and decided I would use Newsgator, mainly due to syncing feature. All feeds that are unread on my laptop, I find unread on my iPhone, and it has a cool email feature if you come across a great article. Also, I am hoping that Newsgator, because of their great service and constant updating, and with the release of the iPhone SDK, they will create a native RSS reader that will do it all.

RSS Aggregators are my thing... I spend most of my time on my computer reading feeds. That includes the MMi forums.
    Last edited by iamse7en; 2008-02-09 at 05:47 AM.