Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Installer 4, so why is it better again?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Installer 4, so why is it better again?
    Hmmmm! Looks like all of you that were BEGGING for the great and mighty installer have finally got just what you wanted......an incomplete, not ready for public distribution, source lacking application. I would like to hear from all those "cydia sucks" and "installer rules" folk now that installer has been released. Where are you?? And I don't want to hear, "Oh, its still beta!" So was cydia when everyone jumped on the cydia sucks bandwagon. Does this sound familiar anyone, "Where are all the apps, cydia sucks, it has nothing, where are all the sources, we want installer, etc..." Well, now you have it and my question to you is.........exactly why is it so much better?? I have been an installer user since it first came out, I too was "use" to and was "comfortable" with installer and its user interface. But when cydia came out with 2.0 and it was all we had, instead of being grateful for what you were getting for FREE, you chose to complain...gripe...and show off what little intelligence you actually have. Who knows what the future holds with cydia and installer. Will they work side-by-side or will one fall by the wayside as in the betamax vs. VHS war. Who knows, maybe they will both remain and it will just be a matter of personal preference. But for crying out loud, do those of us who utilize these FREE, yes FREE, applications really need to be standing on the sidelines and talking smack. NO! That is the answer you were looking for. So whoever you are and whatever side your on in this battle, enjoy your FREE Cydia and your FREE installer and just shut up!!!
    Last edited by dr33Rocks; 2008-08-11 at 07:22 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr33Rocks For This Useful Post:

dale1v (2008-08-11), wingedfoot26 (2008-08-11)

I was hoping everyone would go for a silent scoffing at of those who worshiped installer but the novel you just wrote does it justice as well

installer 4 is a choppy scrolling affair that kept sensing touches i didn't make.

cydia has no screenshots of the apps.

i uninstalled the whole mess today and went back to stock 2.0.1.

call me when taskbar notifier and summerboard port over.
    Last edited by mcdj; 2008-08-11 at 06:32 AM.
    I'm so glad I don't have to meet The Internet People.

Thanks

cydia has no screenshots of apps? lol well if thats your biggest complaint i'd say it beats installer.

you should know what your installing without needing to see a screenshot.

there's no reason for installer to exist now. why do we need cydia, app store AND installer? they took too long to release it and now cydia already has the majority of apps that people need. i'm amazed the installer team let out a beta with such a huge bug ("file does not exist" in every category because the program has no icon) in it too.

I enjoy the fact that cydia doesnt need to reset the springboard after installing apps... as to where installer does. I used to be a die hard installer user, but after my experience with cydia on 2.0 and now the beta version of installer 4... Im not too happy with installer at all... infact I think its a set in the wrong direction because i thought installer 3 was better.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It doesnt do that now! But you are right... I'm getting used to Cydia more and more and I'm getting more confortable with it. Why can't we all just get along, Installer and Cydia together is the way to go. lol.

i dont no wat the hell is ur problem here
    u r getting sumthing for free and u guys r complaing just shut the hell up and use wat u guys r getting for free

Quote Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
    ...cydia has no screenshots of the apps...
    Is tapping on the more info button too difficult?
    I guess maybe you've run into something that didn't have a screenshot on Cydia's more info, but seriously if the developer isn't into making a more info screen with a screen shot or explanation on Cydia, what makes you think he/she will be down for making one for Installer?

As I've said before, I'll wait till they are both (fully) out and then judge them.
    No use comparing a beta to a "complete" program.

Thanks

This thread reminded me that I have Installer 4. So used to it being barren like any package manager on any new iPhone OS would be. Silly me. Actually, now that the Community Sources package works things are becoming interesting. This update I just ran on it gave me Ste's and iSpazio's source, things sounding familiar again?
    I came, I saw, I forgot what the hell I was there for.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    i dont no wat the hell is ur problem here
    u r getting sumthing for free and u guys r complaing just shut the hell up and use wat u guys r getting for free
    it's actually called having a discussion, why don't you stop complaining and let us have a free discussion!

Thanks

I'm glad installer wasn't available when I upgraded my phone. It let me see how much more powerful and stable cydia was. Hard to argue with 15 years of development (apt).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rotaryheadrx7 For This Useful Post:

Randy (2008-08-11)

Quote Originally Posted by rotaryheadrx7 View Post
    I'm glad installer wasn't available when I upgraded my phone. It let me see how much more powerful and stable cydia was. Hard to argue with 15 years of development (apt).
    Exactly right. I was another one who had Installer withdrawals, but it's clear to me now that Cydia is far better.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

I think what happened is many people were use to the old installer having everything and when 2.0 came along, all those apps needed to be ported over, and many still do.

When they were not in cydia, those that didnt understand why, just blamed cydia and said that installer rocked cause it had everything. Even being told such and such needs to be re-writen to work with 2.0, they would say installer was beter cause installer had it.

Now that they have installer back, they are finally coming to the conclusion and accepting that is was not the deliverly method (installer / cydia) but the fact that the app itself needs to be re-written.

Thanks

Can you show us the posts where people are BEGGING for installer? There must be a lot of them, but I appear to have only remember seeing 1, possibly 2.

And there's no need for you to act as a Cydia / Installer peacemaker. It's not needed.

Yeah, and why didn't you think to shut up before posting such a useless thread
    To live, you have to lie

19. The Following User Says Thank You to redcard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wingedfoot26 View Post
    it's actually called having a discussion, why don't you stop complaining and let us have a free discussion!
    of course u can have `free discussion` and i m not complaing i m just saying that u guys are not discussing the thread is like installer v.s cydia

Thanks

WOW, redcard! I think you just proved my point for me and you didn't even know it. As far as being a peacemaker, I never said that was my objective. Just trying to shine a light in the direction of "certain" people that love to come on here and complain without offering anything constructive. And yes, there are many POSTS that just say, "cydia sucks, give us installer" or something very similar. So my point, which is of course up for discussion and criticism, is that so many of us take for granted what is freely given to us from these developers. We all wanted a way to jailbreak 2.0, complained about how long it was taking, we finally got it, and then complained about it having cydia instead of installer. Constructive criticism is one thing, but just coming on here and throwing up a bunch of unintelligible remarks is useless and not deserving of all the "FREE" apps that we get.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

this is one of the dumbest started threads i've stumbled upon all week. comparing a unfinished unsupported app to a complete app. don't start a "cydia rocks installer 4 sucks cack" bandwagon.

they will eventually both do the same thing. both will have sources, both will have apps. some will use cydia, some will use installer. why hate on what originally got us started in this iphone world. cydia came second. installer is original. pick what u wanna use, but don't go on starting threads about which one is better and why. or "where all you installer fans at now huh??? huh???? installer [email protected][email protected][email protected]@[email protected][email protected][email protected]!"

grow up man. its software, and competition is always fun.
    Last edited by smirkis; 2008-08-11 at 09:22 PM.
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Thanks

smirkis.......Did the title say this was a installer vs. cydia thread? No! Just proving a point that everyone jumped to quick to say cydia sucks when it was in beta, so where are they now that installer is in beta and is obviously inferior. You said, "comparing a unfinished unsupported app to a complete app" is dumb, my point exactly, thanks for making it for me. You said also, "Don't go starting threads about which one is better and why"...again, refer to opening post........not at all the point....or did you even take the time to read it? And by the way, I never said which I prefer. As silly as it sounds, this was started to point out how we just need to be thankful for what we are getting, especially since its all for "FREE". If you have something intelligent to add, or criticize in a constructive manner, go for it, this is how we all learn and get better. In the end, as I said in my original post, I'm sure it will be just a matter of personal preference...both will be good and each will have its pros and cons. So why don't you read the first post, because it is basically saying exactly what you said, just in a better way!
    Last edited by dr33Rocks; 2008-08-11 at 10:26 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to dr33Rocks For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast